Don't Think I'll Ever Get Used To This - Shrimp Molt

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by Lissi Kat, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Lissi Kat

Lissi KatValued MemberMember

Every time there's a molt it catches me off guard and gives me a fright lol 20180426_203829.jpg

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

It can be a bit creepy!
    Just remember that it's not a dead shrimp.

3. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Wow, that is kind of amazing to see that it just leaves it's clothes behind...just like us humans.

4. OP
    OP
    Lissi Kat

It gets me every single time even when I see the actual shrimp alive and well right next to it I still do a double take haha!

5. OP
    OP
    Lissi Kat

Haha yeah I should leave it a passive aggressive note telling it to pick it's old clothes up off it's bedroom floor as I'm sick of being the only one who cleans around here!:D

6. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

I did the same thing when my crayfish molted. Even after reading how so many people freaked out when they saw the first empty shell. I did the same thing, and thought he was dead.

7. OP
    OP
    Lissi Kat

I wish it was his first molt it's at least his 3rd and I still fall for it! I do love the little hatch it has to climb out of it...natures really something!

8. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

When I had my saltwater tank in the 80's, I had a Hawaiian purple striped lobster that molted at least 6 times and got a little bigger with each one. I'd see the empty shell and the lobster would hide for a day or 2 and then come back out. It is amazing how they do it.

9. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

What I find amazing is how they eat EVERY single piece of the old shell.

10. OP
    OP
    Lissi Kat

It really is amazing isn't it! Every last little detail is on the molt! I think they wait for their new shell to harden before they come back out. I guess people shed too just not in one go haha that would be really creepy imagine waking up next to a human molt!

11. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Lol, creepy!

12. lilabug4545

lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

It still scares me with my snakes. Last night, I woke up hearing a strange scraping noise. I look over, and Peppermint is shedding, and just his head is off. He looked so wierd, but still adorable.

13. OP
    OP
    Lissi Kat

I'm not sure bamboo shrimp do as they only have fans to filter with and no claws. I leave it in the tank so that maybe the minerals from it end up back in the water tho

14. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

The first time it happened was a few days after i got my shrimp. I definitely thought he was dead, especially cos they hide and the molts are so detailed. I like to take the molts out and keep one. The first one i got is in great shape, down to the antennae.

I don’t think bamboo shrimo would eat theirs, either.

15. OP
    OP
    Lissi Kat

I kept the first one too I was just fascinated by the detail and how intact it was...my toddler decided to inspect it...its no longer intact lol I just put it in a flower pot in sure plants can utilise it haha