Don't Think I'll Ever Get Used To This - Shrimp Molt

Lissi Kat

Every time there's a molt it catches me off guard and gives me a fright lol 20180426_203829.jpg

Fashooga

Wow, that is kind of amazing to see that it just leaves it's clothes behind...just like us humans.

Lissi Kat

It can be a bit creepy!
Just remember that it's not a dead shrimp.
It gets me every single time even when I see the actual shrimp alive and well right next to it I still do a double take haha!

Lissi Kat

Wow, that is kind of amazing to see that it just leaves it's clothes behind...just like us humans.
Haha yeah I should leave it a passive aggressive note telling it to pick it's old clothes up off it's bedroom floor as I'm sick of being the only one who cleans around here!

JLeeM

I did the same thing when my crayfish molted. Even after reading how so many people freaked out when they saw the first empty shell. I did the same thing, and thought he was dead.

Lissi Kat

I did the same thing when my crayfish molted. Even after reading how so many people freaked out when they saw the first empty shell. I did the same thing, and thought he was dead.
I wish it was his first molt it's at least his 3rd and I still fall for it! I do love the little hatch it has to climb out of it...natures really something!

Dch48

When I had my saltwater tank in the 80's, I had a Hawaiian purple striped lobster that molted at least 6 times and got a little bigger with each one. I'd see the empty shell and the lobster would hide for a day or 2 and then come back out. It is amazing how they do it.

JLeeM

What I find amazing is how they eat EVERY single piece of the old shell.

Lissi Kat

When I had my saltwater tank in the 80's, I had a Hawaiian purple striped lobster that molted at least 6 times and got a little bigger with each one. I'd see the empty shell and the lobster would hide for a day or 2 and then come back out. It is amazing how they do it.
It really is amazing isn't it! Every last little detail is on the molt! I think they wait for their new shell to harden before they come back out. I guess people shed too just not in one go haha that would be really creepy imagine waking up next to a human molt!

JoeCamaro

It really is amazing isn't it! Every last little detail is on the molt! I think they wait for their new shell to harden before they come back out. I guess people shed too just not in one go haha that would be really creepy imagine waking up next to a human molt!
Lol, creepy!

Blitzar

It still scares me with my snakes. Last night, I woke up hearing a strange scraping noise. I look over, and Peppermint is shedding, and just his head is off. He looked so wierd, but still adorable.

Lissi Kat

What I find amazing is how they eat EVERY single piece of the old shell.
I'm not sure bamboo shrimp do as they only have fans to filter with and no claws. I leave it in the tank so that maybe the minerals from it end up back in the water tho

Jellibeen

The first time it happened was a few days after I got my shrimp. I definitely thought he was dead, especially cos they hide and the molts are so detailed. I like to take the molts out and keep one. The first one I got is in great shape, down to the antennae.

I don’t think bamboo shrimo would eat theirs, either.

Lissi Kat

The first time it happened was a few days after I got my shrimp. I definitely thought he was dead, especially cos they hide and the molts are so detailed. I like to take the molts out and keep one. The first one I got is in great shape, down to the antennae.

I don’t think bamboo shrimo would eat theirs, either.
I kept the first one too I was just fascinated by the detail and how intact it was...my toddler decided to inspect it...its no longer intact lol I just put it in a flower pot in sure plants can utilise it haha

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom