Don’t Let Your Tank Heater Run Dry....

hollynp

Sigh. Water change Sunday and my dumb self didn’t unplug the heater. Did a big 75% change. Came back from refilling my bucket in the kitchen and smelled something bad. Got scared I got water on the outlet... nope. Finally realized I didn’t unplug the tank heater. Yesterday water temps looked ok so I thought maybe I didn’t fry it.. today our outside temps have dropped and sure enough, tank is down to about 72. Here’s hoping my fishies don’t freeze before I can get to the store tomorrow for a new heater!

Just a PSA for anyone who is too much of a noob like me I can't believe I killed a practically brand new tank heater.

JamieXPXP

hahaha ive done this before but luckily ive noticed before my heater died

I plugged in my heater while I was holding it out of water....and it wasn't fun lol

Crafty Cichlid

Got you both beat! My immediate reaction was to pour water on it to prevent it from melting its suction cups (even more). It exploded. Luckily it was shatterproof, so the glass melted into smooth edges, and it was only annoying and terrifying when water and blunt glass bounced off my face. No blood.

MissPanda

I always forget to unplug it but my heaters either really good or I'm just really lucky because nothing has ever happened.

JamieXPXP

Got you both beat! My immediate reaction was to pour water on it to prevent it from melting its suction cups (even more). It exploded. Luckily it was shatterproof, so the glass melted into smooth edges, and it was only annoying and terrifying when water and blunt glass bounced off my face. No blood.
haha ok that is a little scary

75g Discus Tank

I blew up a heater to this once. I did it just yesterday.

goldface

I only use heaters around late fall when tempts start getting cold, but not enough to justify heating the house. I’m okay with tempts dropping to the 70s F.

Less time to worry about exploding heaters, injuries, fish soup, etc.

I’m not saying to do as I do, because I’m not. It just works for me.

Lunnietic

I have never had this happen...and I have done huge water changes in the past.

BiggerIsBetta

On multiple occasions I had a heater out of water and it turned on. I realized a minute or two later and plunged it into the tank. The sizzling sound is fun lol

bitseriously

scarface, no need to rub it in that it's warm wherever you are, while some of us wonder why the outside makes our face hurt.
I also lost a heater to the 'failed to unplug' error.
Now I always unplug the heater at the same time as I unplug the filter on wd day. Always together.
And I got an aqueon pro as a replacement. Plastic housing. Love it.

California L33

Here’s hoping my fishies don’t freeze before I can get to the store tomorrow for a new heater!

Your fish will be fine, though you might want to hold off on feeding them until you have the new heater so they don't have tummy issues.

I think we've all done that. I've seen heaters that supposedly have safeties that prevent overheating when not in water. Generally, monolithic heaters (those where the heating element is embedded in ceramic or a similar material and the whole thing is covered in plastic) tend to survive out of water incidents better than the 'glass tube with a heating element inside' type.

One word of advice- if you ever do find you've left your heater running and exposed, don't plunge it into water. The thermal shock can cause anything from an explosion to a less dramatic failure.

Ed1957

Simple fix. Plug filter and water heater into a surge protector which you should probably be using anyway. When water gets a little low instead of unplugging filter just flip off switch on surge protector. Both heater and filter off. After WC flop the switch back on.

Punkin

Simple fix. Plug filter and water heater into a surge protector which you should probably be using anyway. When water gets a little low instead of unplugging filter just flip off switch on surge protector. Both heater and filter off. After WC flop the switch back on.
Exactly what I have. Both heater and filter are in a surge protector in the bottom of the tank stand. Flip of a switch and no worries.

C_Willie

I have cracked two... Lol it happens. I have almost done it countless other times. Now I just keep it all on a battery backup and shut the whole thing off.

cadd

This is exactly what I do. I flip the switch before I do any water changes. All filters, pumps and heaters get turned off for the duration of the change. After adding Seachem Prime and filling the tank with tap water (that matches the tank's water temp), I wait a few minutes before I flip the switch back on. This way, it gives Prime a few minutes to neutralize the chlorine in the water before it gets to the filters (and possibly damaging the BB colony).

hollynp

I got my hands on an aqueon heater today, all the LPS had. and I just read on another thread that the aqueons tend to explode??? now I'm scared, I don't want an exploded heater, ive already fried one rofl.

good tip on the surge protector, I have them in a tiny 3 outlet one but it doenst have a switch. ill have to change it out.

cadd

Which thread was that that stated Aqueons tend to explode? Did you get the regular Aqueon or the Aqueon Pro? Most of us have had pretty good experiences with Aqueon Pro heaters:

Ed1957

I have the Aqueon pro and love it. Never heard they explode.

California L33

I got my hands on an aqueon heater today, all the LPS had. and I just read on another thread that the aqueons tend to explode??? now I'm scared, I don't want an exploded heater...

The makers of most consumer products go to great lengths to make them not explode. When they do go boom unexpectedly it creates bad publicity, they have warranty expenses, get sued, and then the government gets involved, etc., etc., so they find it easier and more profitable to go the non-exploding route. That doesn't mean every company chooses plastic over plastic explosives, but I'll bet Aqueon goes with the majority.

hollynp

Which thread was that that stated Aqueons tend to explode? Did you get the regular Aqueon or the Aqueon Pro? Most of us have had pretty good experiences with Aqueon Pro heaters:

I don’t remember the thread, I just read it one one I was looking at for info.

Thanks for the link to that other thread! I will check it out.

heybrittany

I've done that before when I got my first tank. Same exact thing lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

• That1FishKeeper
  • Heater
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
alexk77
  • Platylover