Dont know what to stock for my 20 gallon

1. TomTheFishNoob

TomTheFishNoob Valued Member Member

Hey all, new to this site. I recently got a 20 gallon fish tank and it has been cycled. Currently I have 3 Platies, 2 Mollies, and 1 Golden Mystery Snail. I was thinking of getting a Dwarf Gourami. I dont know what to get after the Gourami. I would like a school of colorful fish and maybe some shrimps. Any advice?

PS. Also thinking of getting some live plants for my tank.

2. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Mollies need a bigger tank, so if you rehome them you will have room for a DG and a small school of fish.
    ~Mudkipz

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I agree, you should rehome the mollies
    So maybe your stock could look something like this?
    1x male Dwarf Gourami
    1x Mystery snail
    5x Shrimp (cherry, Amano, ghost, etc.)
    3x platy
    8-10x Neon tetra, zebra danio, or ember tetra (etc.)

4. OP
    OP
    TomTheFishNoob

TomTheFishNoob Valued Member Member

I have 3 questions :D

20 gallon:

1x Dwarf Gourami
    3x Platies
    9x Bloodfin Tetras
    5x Ghost Shrimps
    1x Golden Mystery Snail

Questions:

What are some live plants I can add?
    Is this currently overstocked?
    Can i add more fish?
    If I can add more fish, what are some species I can add without overstocking?

5. S

SkunkMunkey3000 New Member Member

That's 4 questions! :p

What lights are you running and do you add co2 or ferts? Presuming you're just normal tank lights and no additives, if suggest the usual java fern and anubius - they're both undemanding and easy to look after.

I'll let someone else comment on your driving levels as I'm not sure.

6. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Youre pretty maxed out stocking wise, though you might be able to get away with a small group of cories or kuhli loaches for the bottom, you definitely could do so if you rehome the platies. Anders247 is better with deh stocking. Plants highly depends on your lighting, though as skunk said both anubias and Java fern do well in most basic setups. I would also recommend horn wort and anarchis, as they don't need much light either. Also mosses, and Marimo balls.

7. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You have room with out getting rid of any fish for a bottom school of Kuhli loaches, 6 to 8 or 6 of the same species of corydora catfish, which ever you prefer... Alison:;hi1

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Is this a 20 high or long?