Don't know what to do help!

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been getting up or coming home for the last couple of days and finding fish damaged. At first it was one of my angel fish and a molly, Both tails has a small cut or tear in them. This is what prompted me to buy the new big tank to separate the fish, "I though that it might have been my Elephant nose causing the damage since they were allways chasing around the other fish". The next day I found 1 of my neons tail had been completely bitten off. Then when i got up this morning I found 1 of my elephant nose dorsal fin half gone and his back all torn up. I don't know who is causing this damage, it can't be the elephant nose they don't have much of a mouth and can't bite like that, so who could be causing the damage? What can I do to stop it. I am tempted to move some of the fish into the new tank even though it is not cycled yet because they might be better off in there then where they are. Any suggestions.

P.S. Sorry so long

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Check your ornaments if they have sharp edges or if they can trap fish.

I just thought of something else, all the fishes' problems were with the tail, so could it be a finrot? Were the fins damaged overnight? :-\

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It is not the ornaments there is nothing they can get stuck in and all of the edges are rounded.

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't thnk it is fin rot like I said the neon looked like his tail was bitten off, down to the spine, and on the elephant nose it looks like someone was bitting him.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, but I have no clue... :-\

LarryDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tumble I have this exact same problem, from what i saw in my tank it was my angels and firemouth cichlids.

Im pretty sure it was the angelfish doing damage to other angelfish and maybe it was them damaging the others as i took one firemouth back and im trying to get the other one out to take him back also.

The only thing you can do is find the cause...mine seems to happen at night when the tanks light is off, is this the same with you...

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the elephant nose. Sorry it is a little blury

Yes most of the problems happen at night. I was thinking of the angel fish, but they have been together for a while and this just strted happening lately

LarryDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you introduced any new fish what so ever?
As ive seen my angels bite each other and cause damage a few times...

Id say it is the angels

LarryDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Definately a fish attack, no question.....

I really dont know what to suggest apart from the obvious, find what fish it was and remove it

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The only fish in my tank that I think is capible of causing this damage would be the angel fish. The 100gal tank was purchased for them, i am just waiting for it to cycle before I move them. But i may have t move them before it has finished cycling and just keep a real close eye on them.

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was doing so work in my big tank and looked over and saw that one of my silver diamond scale angels was pushing and nipping at the other angels. i guess he was the bully the hole time. I am moving him into another tank for the time being. Now I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom