Don't know what it is, help.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by kschimmenti, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kschimmenti

kschimmenti New Member Member

I've had an established 40G tank for about 4 years, nothing new has been added in a year and everyone has been thriving, no illness or death in over a year. I've never dealt with ICH or any other real diseases. Today I noticed that one of my 4 year old Congo Tetras has white fuzzy stuff around both eyes and on his scales. I don't know if it's ICH or not as I've never experienced it and I read in another post that ICH doesn't look fuzzy. Any clue what this is or how to treat it? I'm terrified of it wiping out my tank and I don't have a set up for a quarantine tank. Help greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures, it's really hard to see the fuzziness of the white though, the last one is the fish head on, you can kind of see it there. None of the other fish are showing any signs of this. IMG_2650.jpg IMG_2651.jpg IMG_2657.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

A pic woud help tons, but it does sounds like some sort of fungus.

3. OP
    OP
    kschimmenti

K Ill try in a few after I get the baby to bed :)

4. Akari_32

We'll be waiting :)

5. OP
    OP
    kschimmenti

I added some pictures but it's really hard to see, how do I tell between fungus and ICH, would I treat the same? The poor fish looks awful, I know you can't see it in the pictures but it's kind of sickening.

6. Akari_32

Ich is like someone dumped salt onyour fish. Fungus is usually fluffy.

I'm on my phone, so the pics aren't very big for me. Hopfully someone who can see them better will come along :)

7. OP
    OP
    kschimmenti

Yeah, it's fluffy and kind of floating in the water a little, I've done a little more research and it does seem to be a fungus. I've been neglecting water changes since my baby was born 8 months ago, so maybe that's why. I've only changed the water a handful of times since then. I'll try to stay on top of it but what else should I do??

8. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

I'm glad you mentioned the water changes-- most people skip saying the things they might be doing wrong, and it makes it hard to diagnose the source. ;)

The picture is very hard to see, but it looks and sounds like fungus. A fungal treatment from your fish store would do the trick, but I'd maybe wait for more people here to take a stab at your problem.

What I can definitely suggest that doesn't take any medication is to start up your water changes again. It happens sometimes that we skip them- life gets difficult- but it's important to keep up with them even if they might be less than usual (maybe 25% one week because you're busy, instead of your usual 40-50% depending on how heavily your tank is stocked.) That sort of thing is relatively ok on occasion. There are many ways to get water changes done.

As you probably know already, when you don't do water changes, the concentration of bacteria and viruses increase in the aquarium water. They're always there, but water changes dilute them. When you forget, the concentration increases, thereby increasing the chances your fish will catch one of them. Moreover since the fish will be stressed out due to dirtier water, it makes them even more susceptible to an infection.

Hope this helps! :) Congrats on the new baby!

9. OP
    OP
    kschimmenti

Thanks! I will definitely try to keep up with the water changes, I don't want sick fishies. I actually had some Quick Cure which has formalin and malachite green which I read is a recommended treatment for fungus. I just did a water change, turned the temp up 2 degrees and treated with quick cure. I'm sure the fish is towards the end of it's life span at 4 years so maybe that's what made him susceptible. I'm just glad it's not something that will take out the tank (hopefully). I sure hope he gets better!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice