Don't Know What I'm Missing

Jnyftb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My 2 1/2 year old Betta is sleeping ALL the time! I have to wake him up twice a day to feed him. He gets super annoyed every time but he does still eat and his levels are great. He's in a 5 1/2 gallon tank with a heater, filter, fake and live plants. I did a full cycle of E.M. Erythromycin last week. Put the carbon back in his tank for a few days, took it out to put an Indian Almond Leaf. I am so confused about what happened to my cheerful little Betta.
Again levels are in great condition AND he's still eating his food but I have to coax him awake to eat.
Not sure what to do now.

Jnyftb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
75g Discus Tank said:
What are the exact conditions of the tank?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
Temp?
Lighting schedule?

Why did you dose meds? Was he sick?
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 5.0
Nitrites 0
PH 7.6
Temp 78
Lighting on during day, off at night
Thinking about leaving lights off for a couple of days but am also concerned it may enable his lethargy

Medicated him for lethargy and fin rot

And also his color looks dull and faded

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What’s your WC schedule?

I would recommend 50% once a week as the new water should help your betta wake up.

It could also be old-ish age.

Bettas usually are their most active and friendly at around 6 months to 18 months.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not sure how many leaves you have, but crushing and boiling them into a tea usually works best if you want them for the tannis.

Jnyftb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a package of leaves. I took one large one, rinsed it with water, took out the carbon in the filter and popped it in. It's been 48 hours as of this morning. Water now has the brown tint

Jnyftb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This morning is the first day he hasn't eaten. Every time I come to his tank in the evening in it and in the morning he always looks Motionless in the bottom of the tank like he's dead. I put the fish net in there and he starts darting around the tank constantly pushing himself in a corner. And that is what I've been able to feed him... But not today. His water is murky because of the Indian almond leaf and I don't want to take away its benefits because it's only been in the tank 3 days. I'm thinking maybe I should put an aerator in there or something to keep the oxygen flowing. Any suggestions? My heart is breaking I feel like I'm watching him die and I can't let that happen I love him too much

Sorry for the grammar... It's voice text

He spending so much time at the bottom of the tank he cannot be getting to much oxygen. Other than the few live plants

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's my opinion. Get rid of the almond leaves. Put in an aerator. Do 50% water changes daily. You might even do a couple on the first day. Quit messing with it, let it be. It could just be at that age.

Jnyftb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think you are exactly right leftswerve

That is what my gut was telling me.

It's going to be the longest day at work just waiting to get back to tend to him

Jnyftb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did a 50% water change last night and added an aerator. This morning he seems a little better. He ate his breakfast and is not rushing back down to the bottom of the tank. He's in a corner hiding but at least it's higher up
Happy Mommy here
1526138646328.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom