Dont know what im doing!

Cichlidae1988

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was advised to add plants to my aquarium from a member of this forum. I'm feeling in over my head. I rushed into buying a few plants that were "beginner safe" based off of a really quick google search. Here's what I purchased:

2 Dwarf Hairgrass - mat
1 Dwarf sagittarius - potted
2 Variegated Japanese Dwarf Rush - Bare Root

It's a 29 gallon tank. Literally any advice from someone with experience on adding the plants and taking care of them would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately- anyone correct me if I'm wrong- but I think those plants need a lot of extra care, especially the carpeting types.
I don't have any experience with the above plants but I do use live plants in my aquariums. Some of the best beginning plants are: Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Swords, and Java Moss just to name a few.

Those plants above don't need crazy lighting and a ton of fertilization- but there's a lot of articles around this forum that give a lot of good information on how to care for beginning low tech plants.

Aquarium Plant Important Topic Stickies | 14287 | Aquarium Plants
Best beginner low light aquarium plants? | 459238 | Aquarium Plants
And can read some of the sticky posts on this part of the forum:
Aquarium Plants Forum

OP
Cichlidae1988

Cichlidae1988

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kattiq said:
Unfortunately- anyone correct me if I'm wrong- but I think those plants need a lot of extra care, especially the carpeting types.
I don't have any experience with the above plants but I do use live plants in my aquariums. Some of the best beginning plants are: Java Fern, Anubias, Amazon Swords, and Java Moss just to name a few.

Those plants above don't need crazy lighting and a ton of fertilization- but there's a lot of articles around this forum that give a lot of good information on how to care for beginning low tech plants.

Aquarium Plant Important Topic Stickies | 14287 | Aquarium Plants
Best beginner low light aquarium plants? | 459238 | Aquarium Plants
And can read some of the sticky posts on this part of the forum:
Aquarium Plants Forum
Thanks kattiq ! I could be absolutely wrong but from the little research I've done the plants were labeled beginner friendly, with the only additional care being adding fertilizer.

Regardless and unfortunately for me, it's too late to change plants. They've already been ordered from LiveAquaria and are on there way!

I dont mind learning, I actually enjoy it. I'm really trying to find advice on how to care for these specific plants. I should have done a better job explaining in the question thanks again

kattiq

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cichlidae1988 said:
Thanks kattiq ! I could be absolutely wrong but from the little research I've done the plants were labeled beginner friendly, with the only additional care being adding fertilizer.

Regardless and unfortunately for me, it's too late to change plants. They've already been ordered from LiveAquaria and are on there way!

I dont mind learning, I actually enjoy it. I'm really trying to find advice on how to care for these specific plants. I should have done a better job explaining in the question thanks again
No worries, I could of just misunderstood as well. Good luck! I think there is an article on one of the stickies about the carpeting plants you did buy. :)

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A lot of the time sellers label things beginner safe when they are sort of conditionally beginner safe. What I mean by this is they are easy for the beginner if you have the right equipment. Dwarf hairgrass is one such example, where it will do quite well given a soil substrate, good light, and fertilizer dosing.

Dwarf sag will be a little easier, but would still like a finer substrate and fertilizer like most plants.

You probably just missed this, but live aquaria's listing says: "Variegated Japanese Dwarf Rush can be grown around ponds in a bog environment, and can be used in terrariums and aquariums as long as it is not fully submersed."
Maybe try to suspend it somehow with its roots in the water but leaves in air? Some people grow plants out of their filters.

If you could provide some info on your light, substrate, if you have fertilizers, stocking, etc that would be great!

OP
Cichlidae1988

Cichlidae1988

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
-Mak- said:
A lot of the time sellers label things beginner safe when they are sort of conditionally beginner safe. What I mean by this is they are easy for the beginner if you have the right equipment. Dwarf hairgrass is one such example, where it will do quite well given a soil substrate, good light, and fertilizer dosing.

Dwarf sag will be a little easier, but would still like a finer substrate and fertilizer like most plants.

You probably just missed this, but live aquaria's listing says: "Variegated Japanese Dwarf Rush can be grown around ponds in a bog environment, and can be used in terrariums and aquariums as long as it is not fully submersed."
Maybe try to suspend it somehow with its roots in the water but leaves in air? Some people grow plants out of their filters.

If you could provide some info on your light, substrate, if you have fertilizers, stocking, etc that would be great!
I did see that but I also saw this (see attached)

If it cant be fully submerged I'll probably end up giving it away

Attachments

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cichlidae1988 said:
I did see that but I also saw this (see attached)

If it cant be fully submerged I'll probably end up giving it away
Hmm you can try it, but if it is not widely grown in aquariums probably means it doesn't last or doesn't grow much submersed

OP
Cichlidae1988

Cichlidae1988

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
-Mak- said:
Hmm you can try it, but if it is not widely grown in aquariums probably means it doesn't last or doesn't grow much submersed
Yeahhh it's looking like I'll be giving it away

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom