Don’t forget your fishy friends during the corona virus

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
With the virus spreading across the USA and more people getting sick daily I fully expect a mandatory quarantine. I know in my are the instituted some voluntary measures and recommendations but people are ignoring them. I feel a mandatory curfew and stay at home order will be implemented.
No one needs to agree or disagree with me but the point of this post is that you should consider this and get extra supplies for yourself and your pets. I went today and bought a bunch of frozen foods, I have plenty of flake, and I bought some more dechlor solution. I should be good for a few months now.
Stay safe and healthy everyone.

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve got enough food to last for about half a year. I have enough prime for several years lol. I only use a couple drops a week.

However, my special order still hasn’t come in to the LFS, so... I might not be getting those fish for a while...

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Remember that fish food will spoil.

I don't think we'll be locked down for months. If it happens, I have a lot more to worry about than feeding my fish.

I'm going to go about my normal fishy business. If things go that bad, no amount of fish food on my shelves is going to help anything. Personally, I think panic has done more damage to our society than the virus could ever hope to.

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
saltwater60 said:
With the virus spreading across the USA and more people getting sick daily I fully expect a mandatory quarantine. I know in my are the instituted some voluntary measures and recommendations but people are ignoring them. I feel a mandatory curfew and stay at home order will be implemented.
No one needs to agree or disagree with me but the point of this post is that you should consider this and get extra supplies for yourself and your pets. I went today and bought a bunch of frozen foods, I have plenty of flake, and I bought some more dechlor solution. I should be good for a few months now.
Stay safe and healthy everyone.
Same I just stocked up on some frozen bloodworms! Also I have 200 grams of blackworms coming in so I should be good.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did get a little extra food for me. Nothing crazy but I figured 2 weeks worth. If I run out of pet food I can share.

OP
saltwater60

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
david1978 said:
I did get a little extra food for me. Nothing crazy but I figured 2 weeks worth. If I run out of pet food I can share.
My guess is a month is coming.

OP
saltwater60

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
Remember that fish food will spoil.

I don't think we'll be locked down for months. If it happens, I have a lot more to worry about than feeding my fish.

I'm going to go about my normal fishy business. If things go that bad, no amount of fish food on my shelves is going to help anything. Personally, I think panic has done more damage to our society than the virus could ever hope to.
My fish food is frozen that I bought extras of. I have some dry flake foods too. How will that spoil. I have a few months worth of each. It’s just an FYI for people to make sure they have enough to get their pets through.
I did say you don’t have to agree with me. I don’t care. I don’t need one more thing to stress about and watching my fish die of starvation would cause me stress.
Also current estimates are 40-60% of the population getting the virus with a 1-2% death rate. There are what 327 million Americans? That’s Big trouble to me. The panic hasn’t even set in yet. Again you do t have to agree with me but it’s too late to stop it now. We need a 2-4 week QT to have any hopes of slowing it down. The hospitals will be easily overwhelmed. I live in NYS and they just said there are 53,000 hospital beds and 3000 icu beds and 80% of those are currently occupied. So we have 600 icu beds for corona patients in a state of 20 million. Odds aren’t so good. That’s .003% of people getting ill needing an ICU bed when we know 5% need one. So tell me again how were over reacting? I’d say we’re not going far enough.

Mr. Kgnao

Well Known
Reaction score
Just ran to the store to empty the shelves of all the fish food. Also cleaned them out of paper clips, disposable razors, and scented candles, just in case.

p.s. This is sarcasm, I in no way endorse, or personally partake in, panic hoarding. If you stock up now, you'll miss out on some top-notch looting opportunities if it really does hit the fan.

p.p.s. It won't though.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
No need to panic hoard, but it may be wise to buy your replacement items a week or so before you run out, just to be sure you don't get caught in the sad situation where a quarantine starts the very day you are about to run out.

Seems reasonable enough to me.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think the point to take away from this isn’t to hoard anything, but to keep in mind that supplies may run low for months - in nearly every area, so if you notice you’re low on... prime, flakes, toilet paper or beans (sorry, other thread) to grab a bottle now wouldn’t be a bad thing.
90% of some supplies come from other areas/countries. And other people are fear hoarding and will be for a while.

aoiumi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Although, where I live, and with my planned stock... I could just live culture everything by setting up a bin w/ water outside, collect daphnia and other things I know are good, and then grow them inside for quality control. The benifits of insectivores.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Don’t forget about amazon though! I do agree that you should stock up a little extra now in case of QT but I would assume amazon would still be running (be it maybe with some restrictions), so don’t forget you can get supplies on there. Then again prices are going up on amazon for household things (looked today to see how much pretzels were, 30$ for a bag), but let’s hope they don’t do that to animal supplies.

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Same I just stocked up on some frozen bloodworms! Also I have 200 grams of blackworms coming in so I should be good.
whered u get the black worms? I want to order them but I don't want them to be from some place where it just gives diseases to my fish ya know

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
idkausernamesoyeah said:
whered u get the black worms? I want to order them but I don't want them to be from some place where it just gives diseases to my fish ya know
Totally understand! I forgot to mention freeze dried but I purchase them from Al on Simplydiscus here is his website

They should pop back up to a bigger worm when you put them in water for it a bit but I heard this is the best place to get blackworms. (Freeze-Dried.) As I am concerned his are completely clean!

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Totally understand! I forgot to mention freeze dried but I purchase them from Al on Simplydiscus here is his website

They should pop back up to a bigger worm when you put them in water for it a bit but I heard this is the best place to get blackworms. (Freeze-Dried.) As I am concerned his are completely clean!
ahhhh not live. I wanted to get live ones which is why I'm concerned abt them not being from a reputable place ya know

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
idkausernamesoyeah said:
ahhhh not live. I wanted to get live ones which is why I'm concerned abt them not being from a reputable place ya know
Did a quick search and a lot of people recommend this place
or

Do a bit of research on them both before picking one.

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
or Worms Are Here!

oh thanks so much!!! and those can just live in the substrate reproduce and get eaten in there right?? I'm rly tryna make a sustainable ecosystem and idk how its gonna do. ima do a ten gallon with shrimp. an assassin snail and malaysian trumpet snails plants wood and black worms. could this work in ur opinion?

NC122606 said:
or Worms Are Here!

OH MY GOD WHYS IT LIKE 50 bucks lol???

aoiumi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm
idkausernamesoyeah said:
OH MY GOD WHYS IT LIKE 50 bucks lol???
I'm laughing but also crying because I wanted them too.

New Threads