Don't Forget To Check The Temp.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Fishlover832, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Fishlover832

Fishlover832Valued MemberMember

This is going to be a quick post about an experience I just went through. Feel free to comment if you'd like. A few hours ago, I checked my 75 gallon planted tank and found 2 more dead cardinal tetras and 1 dead otocinclus. The total dead fish count for the week was now at 6. At this point, I knew something was wrong. I went to go fill a bucket to test the water for nitrates and ammonia, but when I put my hand in, it felt steaming hot in the tank. I freaked out and immediately checked the thermometer... it was just about 100 degrees. I realized that I plugged in my stupid eheim heater, which I still haven't figured out how to work. Water changes brought it down to 87 and it will naturally go back to 80 degrees now that I have the right heater in there. The lesson is don't forget to check the thermometer. Now I can feel safe about buying more fish this weekend.

And I plugged in the eheim heater 3 days ago so I'm guessing the tank was at 100 degrees for all of those 3 days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2018
  2. B1GD4DDY

B1GD4DDYValued MemberMember

Sounds like you just about had fish soup! Sorry to hear about your losses though...

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

I’m currently trying to decide on a heater. (Have the preset piece of junk that came with the 29). Was thinking about Eheim. Not not so sure.
    I’m so sorry this happened to you. But I’m glad you figured it out! Could’ve lost evetybody :(