Don't Buy Sharks From Wal-Mart

Nessie!!!
Ok so with my fish tank that I got from my dad for Christmas, My dad recomended that I get a Red Tail Shark, like he used to have in his aquariums. So when we went to Wal-Mart to get our fish, the pet store in my town, and the one in Fulton closed, so we were stuck to get fish at Wal-Mart, we went their and I saw the sign that said," Rainbow/Red Tail Shark." Now I'm only 11, so I thought that ment a mix, so when we got home and got my tank setteled in, I just now realized that, that ment an assortment of Red Tail, and Rainbow Sharks. I got the only one left, which ended up being a Rainbow Shark, My Luck, So I personly think that they should separate the Rainbow Sharks and the Red Tailed Sharks due to the fact that Red Tailed Sharks are smaller, when Rainbow Sharks need a 55 gallon tank, when it's in a 16. I can't return it because my dad doesn't think that it will get that big. But that's why I think you shouldn't buy sharks from Wal-Mart.

Butterfly
yep they really do get that big. Sorry
Carol

Nessie!!!
Yes but I have ana alternate plan
My Uncle has a 54 gallon fish tank, so if it outgrows my tank, I can give it to him, and get a Red Tail Shark.

jack11
The red tailed sharks get practically the same size and are far more aggresive than rainbows, you should not have either in anything smaller than 30G and at least 50G

Nessie!!!
ok...

slakey
hmm...
you could take your dads word but also say to him if the shark outgrows the current tank, he'll have to buy a 30G-55G tank for the shark.
as he told you to keep the shark
mean but if you think you should take him back and your dad says no, then he'll have to pay the price.

Nessie!!!
Yup! I think so to0. I just think that they should separate tanks, for the buyers convinice.

Nessie!!!
I do now have an alternate plan! My dad has a really big ViQuarium, that he says is 30 gallons, but I don't beleive, but I think if he gets it going we will put it in there.

slakey
good.

Just for info *not sure if its the same in the US but* Juwel tanks are going quite cheap!
I got a Juwel Rio 125 (39US gal) for £191

and that's an ok size for a rainbow shark, I'm hoping to get one once, the tank is cycled.

Nessie!!!
Cool! I just spent 70 dollars, and it's a 14 gallon. In it I'm going to put one KuhlI Loach 1 Ghost Shrimp, and two Mollies. I hope you do get a shark, there fun to watch, if a smaller tankmate goes near the area that the shark has made it's own, the shark will take charge and chase it away, and then return to the area, it's quite amusing!

Chief_waterchanger
Kuhlis do not "school" like most fish, but they do better the more of them you have. Not so sure Kuhlis would be such a grand idea to have just one of in a tank.

Nessie!!!
Ok, but if I do get two, that's about all my tank will hold, can I still get the two mollies without it getting two overcrowded?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
  • Question
Replies
Views
Apersau1
Replies
Views
Bad Wolf
Replies