Done Cycling?

Honeyislife

Reaction score
I'm on day 10 of cycling with TSS+ (10 Gallon, marineland penguin with added matrix behind bio wheel). I have 2 adult female guppies in the tank. I believe it has finished cycling. Today the readings are:
High pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20+ (? Not sure as it looked different every angle I held it)

My last test was about 4 or 5 days ago and the numbers were
High pH 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 2.0
Nitrate 20-40

Should I give it a few more days or am I done cycling?
Do I need to do a water change? The water and gravel are very clean, I just wasn't sure as I've read some advise to preform a wc once it's cycled.

As for adding more fish to the tank, I was interested in 2 Cory cats, more guppies and maybe some shrimp.( I have a 29 gallon with a razorback musk turtle hatchling in it that I'd like to eventually place extra guppies and fry in.) I know the general rule of thumb is one fish a week after cycling, but since these are fairly small fish can I stock more per week?

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Honeyislife said:
I'm on day 10 of cycling with TSS+ (10 Gallon, marineland penguin with added matrix behind bio wheel). I have 2 small female guppies in the tank. I believe it has finished cycling. Today the readings are:
High pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20+ (? Not sure as it looked different every angle I held it)

My last test was about 4 or 5 days ago and the numbers were
High pH 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 2.0
Nitrate 20-40

Should I give it a few more days or am I done cycling?
Do I need to do a water change? The water and gravel are very clean, I just wasn't sure as I've read some advise to preform a wc once it's cycled.

As for adding more fish to the tank, I was interested in 2 Cory cats, more guppies and maybe some shrimp.( I have a 29 gallon with a razorback musk turtle hatchling in it that I'd like to eventually place extra guppies and fry in.) I know the general rule of thumb is one fish a week after cycling, but since these are fairly small fish can I stock more per week?
Hi really quickly, it is odd that your nitrates from 4 or 5 days ago were higher than your readings today...unless you did a water change in between or have live plants?

the only reason to do water changes now are to keep your nitrates below 40ppm (most of us target below 20ppm because the tests are hard to read. the simple rule i use is that orange is fine, but red or red streaks in the test mean it's time for a partial water change). the easiest to read is 10pmm. so that's my own personal target. i change out enough water to keep the test results orange every week.

you can stock 1-4 fish per week depending on your bio load. i have no experience with TSS so i would advise caution. start with 2 small fish and test your ammonia daily for about a week. if there aren't spikes, then you can go to 3 next time. small fish tho.

keep in mind that guppies breed like crazy. so adding just 1 male means you'll soon need to deal with fry and growing fish bio load

congrats tho! it looks like you're cycled or nearly cycled! yay!

Honeyislife

Reaction score
Honestly, the change in nitrates is very likely my inability to read the test correctly. The nitrate test was orange each test, but it varies every angle I move it. I did top off my tank with 2 gallons of distilled water over last weekend and added a little more TSS+, so maybe that had some affect as well.

I have some experience with guppies and was hoping for some excess. I have the 29 gallon I'd like to add them to and being livebearers is a plus as the turtle may occasionally feed on them.

Jenoli42 said:
Hi really quickly, it is odd that your nitrates from 4 or 5 days ago were higher than your readings today...unless you did a water change in between or have live plants?

the only reason to do water changes now are to keep your nitrates below 40ppm (most of us target below 20ppm because the tests are hard to read. the simple rule i use is that orange is fine, but red or red streaks in the test mean it's time for a partial water change). the easiest to read is 10pmm. so that's my own personal target. i change out enough water to keep the test results orange every week.

you can stock 1-4 fish per week depending on your bio load. i have no experience with TSS so i would advise caution. start with 2 small fish and test your ammonia daily for about a week. if there aren't spikes, then you can go to 3 next time. small fish tho.

keep in mind that guppies breed like crazy. so adding just 1 male means you'll soon need to deal with fry and growing fish bio load

congrats tho! it looks like you're cycled or nearly cycled! yay!

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you had ammonia and nitrites, and now just nitrates, it looks like your'e cycled. I would suggest just adding more guppies. Cories need to be in groups of 6 or more. Unfortunately, a 10 gallon doesn't have enough space for Cories, as they are very active fish.

Honeyislife

Reaction score
AquaticJ said:
If you had ammonia and nitrites, and now just nitrates, it looks like your'e cycled. I would suggest just adding more guppies. Cories need to be in groups of 6 or more. Unfortunately, a 10 gallon doesn't have enough space for Cories, as they are very active fish.
Ok thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom