Donated FOWLR, power heads, high flow filter

1. theslats Initiate Member

Greetings, I was /very/ recently given a nice FOWLR setup and I had a few questions.

My understanding is the live rock needs lots of water flow, does this need to come from power heads or can I direct the out put of my high flow canister filters (extras from carious freshwater tanks) at the rock? I want as little equipment visible as possible.

Will putting a protein skimmer in a sump reduce it's effectiveness?

I am guessing the transport of the live rock was pretty hard on the organisms living in it, what care should be taken to keep things going? This was a transfer so there was no choice but to remove fish, rock, substrate; move tank and put it all back in again in one night.

Again this was a quick and ugly move and we had to mix 15ish gallons of water. What should I look for to see if the salt was toxic and hard on the fish? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this?

Thanks Much!

2. Naeusu Member Member

I did this when I got my tank from a friend...gawd that was a bad day.

As long as the salinity was kept about the same or the fish were acclimated to the tank when you added them they should be fine. The rock itself doesn't need much water flow but each tank should have so much water moving per hour (i think to keep the water oxygenated). The water flow can definitely be caused by the output of the canisters but IMO the tank looks nicer with just the sump overflow and return and one or two nicely placed powerheads or wavemakers. Putting the protein skimmer in the sump will not affect the effectiveness of the skimmer and will help to reduce the amount of microbubbles in your tank.

How much of the original water did you get to keep? If you were able to keep 50% or more then you shouldn't have to worry about cycling the tank again.

Just watch your levels (ammonia, nitrate, nitrate, ph, and phosphate for the heck of it) and make sure the fish aren't doing anything strange...for fish...If you see a spike in anything nasty you can use Microbelift Nite out (i think that's the name) which helps to supply your tank with nitrifying bacteria and with regular water changes. Welcome to the world of salties!

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello TheSlats and Welcome to Fish Lore! Best of luck with your new salt set up. I hope you can share some photos when you get everything settled.
    Ken

4. theslats Initiate Member

We did get about 50% of the water. Nitrate, Nitrite and PH are all in check but I'm getting some ammonia (0.5ppm).

5. Naeusu Member Member

If you're getting some ammonia readings then it looks like you need to jump start your cycle again...try the MicrobeLift, it helped me. Did you get to keep any of the original filter media from the filters? If you were able to do that then you should have the bactiera, just sometimes doing that much of a water change takes out a little too much bacteria and you kinda have to wait for it to regrow. If you didn't get the filter media then you got almost no bacteria (since you removed the source) and have to recycle your tank which can be hard on the fish. Also, if you got the filter media, is the carbon filter old? it may need to be replaced. Just keep a close eye!

6. theslats Initiate Member

Original media but I suspect when we drained the filter for transport we lost most of the bacteria. Had hoped the sand (we stored wet in original water to transport) would keep things going.

No carbon, I don't like carbon filters.

is MicrobeLift similar to biospira?

7. Naeusu Member Member

I'm not sure, i've never used biospira. When you took the sand out of the tank it disturbed all those nice layers of bacteria and there was probably a good amount of die off.