Donated fish.

1. Llwynog Initiate Member

[​IMG]

Sorry it's not a better picture. It's hiding so I can't try again right now. I'm thinking it's a Pleco but I'm not sure.

A coworker donated this fish to the office aquarium. Thing is she doesn't remember what it is. All she could tell me was it's an algea eater she bought after the last county fair.

My concerns are how do I care for it and will it grow to big for a 20 long tank.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Yes, it is a Pleco. I'm not certain of the type of Pleco though so let's get more responses.

Ken

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Since it came from a fair, it's most likely a common pleco.

4. Lupinus Member Member

Might large for a 20

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I can't think of a single pleco that is good for a 20 gallon. If it's a common, you need about 10 times more tank. ;)

6. Llwynog Initiate Member

Thanks everyone.

They bought this fish after the fair. Her son won a gold fish at the fair. So they bought a 1 gallon tank and this thing to go with it. :eek:

I was afraid this would be a big fish. I have a friend with a pond but I don't know if it would survive a Maryland winter.

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

there are peckoltias that would be suitable - essentially a pleco.

8. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I've seen pleco's do well in ponds. Not sure about how much cold they can handle. They truly get massive. Also, a 1 gallon tank isn't even close for a goldfish. They also get large and produce a lot of waste.

Fairs should not give away fish!

9. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Your co-worker needs to put the wallet away and do some research prior to making any more donations.....

10. Llwynog Initiate Member

She didn't buy it to donate. She bought it for her son. Then she donated it to get rid of it after the gold fish died. And yes research would have been a good idea. I do but I feel like the exception there.

11. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, I understand that it wasn't purchased specifically for your office tank. Is there usually one person in charge of the office tank who can either accept or reject a proposed occupant? Seems a dangerous practice to allow multiple people to contribute unless there's a top dog, so to speak.

12. Llwynog Initiate Member

That's me and I'm a soft heart. (sigh) I asked her what it was first but she didn't know. She mentioned the size of the tank when she was telling me about it. I was thinking, "oh poor fish." Yes, I knew what I was risking when I said OK.

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ahhh, I misread that. It's still probably a common pleco ;)

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

yes most likely a common and will quickly outgrow the tank unfortunately.

15. Fall River Member Member

Agreed it's most likely a common. Maybe you can make a deal with your LFS to trade it for something more suitable for the tank size?