Domestic issues...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So right now I've got two male mollies, and 6 female mollies. 4(including 1 male and 3 females) are black, and the other group are dalmatian. Now, the two males are not getting along well. The black male is smaller and weaker, and the dalmatian is bigger and stronger. So when the black molly comes around a female wanting to mate, the dalmatian runs it off. I've noticed lately that the violence has escalated. Einstein(the male dalmatian) no longer just chases off Elvis(the black male), Einstein actually nips at his fins, and one of the other female blacks who just gave birth earlier this week.
I figure in my new tank, there will be a lot more room for Elvis to escape, so it's not a big deal. But I did plan on adding 4 more cremesicle mollies, same deal, 1 male 3 females. If I get one of equal size to Einstein, will the fight? And really go at it until one is dead or severely injured?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yo, you've got a ton of livebearers in that tank! Not only that, but you've got the biggest of all the livebearers. Mollies get to be 4 inches long, though they most certainly won't in a 20 with that many fish. I wouldn't add any more, especially not mollies....even with the bigger tank, unless its a 55.

What do you plan to do when they all start having babies?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't say that livebearers literally 'pair off', but it does seem like one will get attached to the other and get really defensive in and around spawning time and for a while after. I have one wag platy that is consistently defensive of a female that he's always been around, even chasing off other females.

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There is nothing wrong with having a lot of livebearers unless you have something against baby fish.
With that said, I am completely aware that I am overstocked, and have the situation under control. I have always been trying to breed them, and have finally done it earlier this week. I do plan on upgrading to a 55 gallon, that was my exact intention.
Also, livebearers don't exactly have a mating season, they just have to be kept under the right conditions. Also, they have been known to pair up, it's just very unlikely.
I've done a lot of research, and I know a lot about livebearers.
But there are always new things to learn.

Basically, Elvis is too small to fight, so he just runs. So if I get another male who is large enough to fight, will they actually fight, and maybe kill eachother? That's what I'm asking.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They probably will not fight to the death initially, they will spar and one male will prove to be dominate and the other male will then go off and try and avoid the tougher new male. The new dominate male will undoubtedly continue to harass the other males as soon as they come out of hiding, the submissive males will struggle to get enough food and will very likely die as a result of the stress. I wouldnt keep more than two males in a twenty, especially with an already overstocked tank. Really adding any more fish at all would be a bad idea, 8 mollies is probably more than can fit into a 20, not to mention the other fish

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would only add them to the new 55 gallon tank. I wouldn't ever add another male to the 20 gallon. Adding any new fish would be setting a ticking time-bomb.

One thing I've noticed is that when it comes to food time, all of their issues just melt away. They are fed equally and well, no issues there.
Maybe some more hiding places would better help the issue. Some caves or some thicker plants.(if at all possible...:-\ which it basically isn't...)

But yeah, second time, new 55 gallon tank, I wouldn't add any more fish to my 20.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
in a 55 gallon you shouldnt have much problem with a third male, they will establish their own pecking order and you will still probably see one male chasing the other from time to time, but as long as the other males have enough room to get away it should be fine. Good luck with the new tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom