Dolphin Fish???

teddybear22482

Valued Member
Reaction score
My sister siad she saw a fish that looked like a miniature bottle nosed dolphin. It was freshwater only a inch or 2 long and was a darker grey than a real dolphin. Anyone know the name of this fish? Id love to have one!

fish_r_friend

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with fish r friend.

If not, it's probably something in that family

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gunnie, have you ever has an elephant fish? They are really neat looking and definitely unique! Was wondering if they are hard to keep.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi i reckon it was a malawi cichlid a common name is the blue dolphin i have two of them apparently as they get older the bump on the head gets bigger and looks more and more like a dolphin
cheers sasha

fishfanatic

Reaction score
Hi Teddybear. I believe the fish you saw was ablue dolphin or blue whale catfish(cetopsis coecutiens). My LFS had one so i looked it up and here is what i found. They grow to about 10" and are very active at night so requirer a decent sized tank. They are agressive and eat smaller fish and chew holes in larger ones. They are said to be compatible with african cichlid .For more info and pics go to planet catfish. Hope i was helpful.I decided against buying one to risky for me.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi if it was a dolphin fish this is what your sister saw i have two of them ..

fishfanatic

Reaction score
It could also been a type of elaphant nose or a baby whale. Something in the mormyrids family.The blue dolphin cichlid does not look like a dolphin. If they are then they are awsome community fish .  I own a elaphant nose and it is an awsome fish .

zeddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
smillermom said:
Gunnie, have you ever has an elephant fish? They are really neat looking and definitely unique! Was wondering if they are hard to keep.
I own an elephant fish they are quite easy to keep. but they do need hiding places.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom