Dollar Store Sand

AquaCaitlin

I’m not about to try it in any of my fishtanks (maybe an empty tank), but I saw a little bag of white “decorative sand” at the dollar store and grabbed it.

There’s nothing saying non-toxic, and supposedly the only contents are sand... and according to the dollar store website it claims its “great for fishtanks”

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever tried it in their aquarium before, and if anything bad came of it or if it actually is safe for fishtanks.

A914D06C-EE08-44A0-AD19-B9EAC19BB9FA.jpeg

SM1199

As long as it is inert (which sand should be), it should be fine with some rinsing.

Looking at it, though, it looks very fine, which might make it very prone to billowing around with a filter running.

Tunaboy

I’m not about to try it in any of my fishtanks (maybe an empty tank), but I saw a little bag of white “decorative sand” at the dollar store and grabbed it.

There’s nothing saying non-toxic, and supposedly the only contents are sand... and according to the dollar store website it claims its “great for fishtanks”

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever tried it in their aquarium before, and if anything bad came of it or if it actually is safe for fishtanks.

A914D06C-EE08-44A0-AD19-B9EAC19BB9FA.jpeg
I was wondering the same thing because my dad came home with a container of white sand from the Dollar Tree and I am on the fence of whether or not it’s safe?

image.jpg

AquaCaitlin

I was wondering the same thing because my dad came home with a container of white sand from the Dollar Tree and I am on the fence of whether or not it’s safe?

image.jpg
The grains in yours look bigger than the grains in mine. Mine was too fine so I didn’t end up using it but didn’t seem to pollute to water in any way.

ayeayeron

Not sand but I have rocks from the dollar store in my betta tank and no issues so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 38

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KaneAdams
Replies
Views
StaceyGoodKarma
Replies