Dollar store rocks?

1. sunshine2012 Member Member

Not sure if this is in the right spot for my question, but I want to get crafty lol. I have seen some pictures and what not on YouTube and Pinterest on making my own decor for my tank and I noticed a bag of rocks at the dollar store, but they look like they have a glossy coating to them and wasn't sure if I should use them or not?

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

They could be just tumbled and polished. That would make them glossy looking, but they should be fine. Alison;)

3. sunshine2012 Member Member

Ok I thought so, but wanted to make sure. Thank you aliray

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Your welcome..Alison

5. Airth Member Member

As with anything, be sure to wash them thoroughly without soap. I've used bags of "river rocks" from the dollar store and had no problems. =) My loaches love hiding in the mountain of rocks. lol

6. sunshine2012 Member Member

Yes I figured as much, just like anything new that you would buy, you need to wash them first.

7. UnkeptSpoon50 Member Member

I would not, god knows what they are made of, and what they were in. Could possibly leach toxins in your tank. Not trying to be a downer, but I would not, especially from the dollar store. Try to go with stuff from the aquarium store, or even dry rock, even though it would look a tiny bit strange in a freshwater tank depending on type.

8. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I guess it depends on if they were actually polished or "painted" to look that way. If you bought them, you could easily use a tool to try and scrape away at it to see if it chips, peels, etc.

I bought some glass colored stones from the dollar store about 4 years ago and when I put them in my tank, seemed fine until I saw one of my fish "eating" at it and the paint was peeling off! :mad: but I guess for $1.00, I couldn't have expected much more but glad I noticed it before any fish died........

9. sunshine2012 Member Member

There were a couple of broken ones in the bag. I have not bought them because I wasn't sure if I should or not. The broken ones just looked like if you were to break one and I didn't see any peeling shiny stuff

10. Airth Member Member

Those should be safe then if they're the same as what I used. They aren't painted. I've seen my fish move them, pick at them, suck on them, etc etc. and there are no ill effects.

Colored glass stones also work as long as there isn't a metallic sheen to them. I scrubbed those suckers before boiling them and have not had any peeling whatsoever.

I'd say you're good to go.

11. mamachickadee Member Member

I soaked some in vinegar to make sure there was no coating then rinsed them and they've been very nice in the kids' betta tanks.

12. sunshine2012 Member Member

Thank you. I will try those when my mother and I get crafty again hehe. We love to make our own decorations because it's much cheaper and no one will ever have one like it.