dollar a gallon tanks

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by beginner, Dec 26, 2012.

1. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

I got a 55! yah my first brand new tank, I have no idea what to put in it. suggestions?

2. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

It all depends do you want a peaceful tank. A lot of smaller fish .

Personally i would do african cichlidd or maybe an angelfish based community tank

3. OP
    OP
    beginner

haha I love that idea, so much in fact I already have a 75 mbuna tank and a 55 planted with 4 angels. i'm stumped.... but that's ok i'm not in a hurry

4. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

You could always do a variety community tank. For instance, filling the tank with top, mid, and bottom level "community fish." An example would be a large school top swimming rasboras, a school of mid level neon tetras, and a school of cory cats for the bottom. And then there are tons of possibilities for "fill in fish."

5. OP
    OP
    beginner

ya know I'd love to have those fish but are they really gonna be happy in a ph of 8+

6. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I got a 20long. Upon getting it home I noticed a hairline crack in the bottom but decided to see if it would hold. About 3" of water later the crack started growing. Lol. Glad I saved my receipt.

7. p

porkozone New Member Member

Where is that? Petsmart? How long is the sale?

8. OP
    OP
    beginner

its a petco. up to 55 gallon. think it lasts till the 31

9. brodylane1122

Ooohh, that does make a difference. My PH is near 8 and my fish do just fine. Most fish will adapt to differing ph levels as long as they are slowly acclimated. Of course, if you are way above 8 that could be a little much, but I'm no expert.

10. OP
    OP
    beginner

a crack!? that's unlucky. i'd better go study the one I got

thus far I've been staying away from tetras, but the experts say they will adjust if acclimated properly. I have 6 serpea tetra's that I've had for two weeks now. wasn't expecting much from them as far as a lengthy stay but, they look really cool and seem heathly. if they last a year i'll consider a tetra/rasobora tank:)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  11. brodylane1122

Now that's being patient!

12. p

porkozone New Member Member

Thanks! I'll have to check that out when I get back home from the in-laws!

13. OP
    OP
    beginner

believe me i'm in no hurry for a major stock failure. I have 30 auratus fry and 30 zebra fry that need a place to grow up, maybe the new 55 will suit them well

14. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I am on well water with high ph, I just adjust the ph in a 5gal bucket (let it sit over night, and check again in the morning before adding) one tank is ph7 another is 6.5

15. OP
    OP
    beginner

wow your decicated and that's great but I'm not looking to start and endless battle. I have a 90 75 two 55's 35 20 and two 10's they all get the same water treatment and gravity fed water changes. easy job but it takes time. I think if I was gonna treat water for a certain fish I'd maybe try discus but, idk anything about them. you must have very hard water then? I have city water, hardness of three drops

16. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Yeah, was just sticking out from under the silicone , barely noticed it but it ended up about 3" long after I added a little water

17. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Hmm a 55 what about an all loach tank like weather loaches. Zebra loaches orange finned loaches.

You i dont know off hand but what about smaller predator fish like an African brown knife. (Species.only)

I wanna pick up a.55 and a 30 . Id use the thirty as a grow tank for small angela. And the 55 i wanna let an electric blue jack Dempsey get big enough for my 160 and than start a fowlr tank.

If you like DIY i have my water treating on the second floor and i use a really long hose that goes through an air duct and lets me pour water into the tanks in the basement. It was actually pretty easy

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  18. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, it is an on going battle :p Our well water is one step below the threshold of not fit to drink :eek:

Hard water? take a shower longer than 3 minutes and you get bruises. Ph of well over 8.

I get around the hardness a bit by using the water from a dehumidifier in the basement.

19. OP
    OP
    beginner

thanks. I think i'm liking the loach idea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice