Dojo Loaches

Discussion in 'Dojo Loach' started by Markinglis, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Markinglis

MarkinglisNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    I was wondering if I could keep dojo loaches in a pond in my back garden? I live in Scotland so during the summer the weather is about 10-25°C (50-77°F) and in the winter it usually is about 1-5°C (33-41°F) but it has been know in the extremes to reach -7°C (19.4°F) I have read mixed reviews about keeping them in these temperatures saying in the wild they can be exposed to some pretty harsh weather (but these are not wild loaches). Some people have said as long as the pond doesn’t freeze it is fine and others say that whilst they like cooler temperatures that UK climate is too harsh. I was looking for anybody with experience who could share there experience and advice.

2. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +757
    I suppose its also possible to bring them in during the winter. I know people do this with koi or goldfish with really cold winters

3. OP
    OP
    Markinglis

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't have an indoor fish tank so couldn't really bring them in. They would have to be in a pond all year round as the only tank i have is my tank for my yellow bellied slider and he would eat anything you put in with him.

4. BobbyGregg

BobbyGreggNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    They would die from the cold and the ice, they have different type of lungs than fish they still go to the top of water to grasp air

5. PascalKrypt

PascalKryptValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +278
    Actually they will probably be fine as long as your pond is large and deep enough to keep the temperature stable above freezing temperatures. Dojos have settled in Northern Germany as an invasive species (winter temps just below freezing) and occur natively in Siberia as far north as the latitude of the Scottish-English border. (Read some info here: http://depts.washington.edu/oldenla...2013/03/Misgurnus-anguillicaudatus_Frable.pdf)

More importantly, that means they are a potentially invasive species as weather loaches are known to climb out of the water and travel by land to other bodies as water (this is apparently quite a common sight in Australia). You would have to seal off your pond or create tall rims that cannot be climbed or something similar, or you might end up threatening your local wildlife.

6. OP
    OP
    Markinglis

Ratings:
    +7
    There isn't really any lakes/streams near me so if one was to escape it probably would just eventually dry out. How could i stop the loaches from jumping out the pond? there is netting above the pond to stop birds getting the goldfish would they be able to get through that?

7. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Experience:
    Just started
    They'll probably be fine. They are a native food fish in some countries, places where temperatures can get much much colder than what you're describing. In fact, Dojos could probably weather through higher extremes than goldfish. So if your goldfish are doing fine, then there's no need to worry about the loaches surviving either.

As a kid, I remember watching them slither in the thousands in ponds and canals, where the water levels were so low, they were literally slithering in mud, which also gives them another common and apt name mudfish. They are, like goldfish, temperate fish; that is, adapted to survive through relative extremes, whether it's the coldest winters or the hottest summers.