Dojo Loaches Help

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Have two dojo loaches. Going to get a 3rd and maybe a 4th. What’s better? Even or odd? And I have to do a water change TODAY. I should wait and put them in after correct?

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Slvikan said:
I totally agree. I am going to take the sand pit out today prior to water changing. The question is this—should I put this in its place? I already own it and it’s just the porcelain part (and I would lay on its side). I can also do a pit just much more shallow as they DO like to rest on it but I am wondering if they would prefer another spot to swim in and out of
Maybe it's me but I'm not seeing any pictures?

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Slvikan said:
Have two dojo loaches. Going to get a 3rd and maybe a 4th. What’s better? Even or odd? And I have to do a water change TODAY. I should wait and put them in after correct?
They enjoy the company of each other so I'd assume the more the merrier.

What size tank are they in?

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This is for the 20 gallon long right? I understand you are enthusiastic but please don't get anymore loaches unless you upgrade. If the ones you have end up growing a bit your tank will already be too small.

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
PascalKrypt said:
This is for the 20 gallon long right? I understand you are enthusiastic but please don't get anymore loaches unless you upgrade. If the ones you have end up growing a bit your tank will already be too small.
If this is for a 20 gallon long I wouldn't even put one in there.

It's already overstocked as it is. The best advice would be to re-home the ones you have, Slvikan.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn’t get more. I will upgrade my tank probably in the next two months. I was thinking a breeder so the surface area is larger. Thoughts?

Do you think a 23 Long is better or a 30 breeder? The less weight the better but it IS 6 extra inches length. More concerned with length than height!

This is for a few months from now!

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In my opinion you want at least 36 inches long and 12 inches depth but 48 inches is really the target. The can grow 10/12 inches.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Could I do a 33 long? I wish there was a wider one without jumping to a 70!

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd say a 3 foot tank is really the bare minimum for dojos. I know people say the height doesn't matter much but in my experience they swim all over the tank and like to hang in floating plants or rest of broad leaved plants near the surface. So getting a larger volume is still better (and usually footprint itself is the only size constraint people have). So in short, get the longest tank you can get and then get the highest model of that tank length. I'd recommend a 50 or 55 gallon, especially since you have goldfish as well.
If you have the means to go even larger, do that. If you want to keep a group you should get a 4 foot tank. They are boisterous in groups and tank mates will need some space as well.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Last question
Trying to get rid of swim bladder for goldfish. I did peas for two days today they are fasting. Is this cruel to the dojo’s and snails as I also did a water change today (like a 40% one?)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Slvikan said:
Last question
Trying to get rid of swim bladder for goldfish. I did peas for two days today they are fasting. Is this cruel to the dojo’s and snails as I also did a water change today (like a 40% one?)
Nope, fasting adult fish for a few days is not a big deal. Are you keeping an eye on your parameters in relation to the SBD though?

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s ok to do to the dojo’s tho? And I don’t know if my goldfish are adults! And what’s sbd

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Slvikan said:
It’s ok to do to the dojo’s tho? And I don’t know if my goldfish are adults! And what’s sbd
Its just an abbreviation of swim bladder disorder. Fish can go without food for several days without any issues, when I go on holiday for a week they go without food the entire time. A lot of people regularly fast their fish (feed 6 days, fast 1), etc. It's not a big deal as long as you feed them enough and the right kind of food on the days that you do feed.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you recommend a good testing kit? I am feeding them these And I think the issue started when I began breaking them up. Prior to that they spit them out and ate them. I had no idea that wasn’t good! So I think they are eating much faster. ALSO they have seaweed in the tank (not now) as well as Aqueon algae wafers for the snails. I was giving more food than usual—by a lot—as they dojo’s were snatching it up!) I think I can give the food broken up but not as much for the others all at once. I WOULD like a water clarifier bc I have a small sand pit OR maybe I’ll rig the filter so I can turn it from it’s lowest settings. When I have it higher the Goldie’s sit in one tiny corner. I do think they’re swimming straight now and also going to the tank bottom but just want to know for the future! Put a piece of lettuce on the veggie clip yesterday without success.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Slvikan said:
Can you recommend a good testing kit? I am feeding them these And I think the issue started when I began breaking them up. Prior to that they spit them out and ate them. I had no idea that wasn’t good! So I think they are eating much faster. ALSO they have seaweed in the tank (not now) as well as Aqueon algae wafers for the snails. I was giving more food than usual—by a lot—as they dojo’s were snatching it up!) I think I can give the food broken up but not as much for the others all at once. I WOULD like a water clarifier bc I have a small sand pit OR maybe I’ll rig the filter so I can turn it from it’s lowest settings. When I have it higher the Goldie’s sit in one tiny corner. I do think they’re swimming straight now and also going to the tank bottom but just want to know for the future! Put a piece of lettuce on the veggie clip yesterday without success.
So what I do is feed both sinking and floating foods at once, so the food is spread throughout the tank. Dojos are champions at gobbling like christmas turkeys and I've yet to see a fish that can compete. Since they also need a lot of food though, spreading the food out allows all the different tank occupants to get a percentage of the food so at least everyone can eat. If these are sinking pellets, get some floating flakes as well.
I have no idea what is in these but you might want to consider that dojos need some more meaty foods than goldfish. They won't spit on some vegetables (spinach is a big winner in my tank) but make sure to feed them some frozen or live foods every once in a while. I think goldfish prepared foods like this one are mostly vegetable foods which isn't ideal for dojos that need both but majority meaty foods.

I'm not sure if your goldfish would get swim bladder disorder just from your breaking up the pellets. I don't think that should make a difference at all. I think I warned you before about parameters with fish that all have such a high bioload, I would be more worried about tank parameters causing this than the way you feed them. Also don't overfeed, a few pellets are enough.

I don't live in the U.S. so I can't really recommend brands, just get any liquid test (not strips), those will do. Make sure you can measure: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. A kit that includes a PH and KH test is also helpful but not as important.

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A good testing kit in the US is API master kit, be sure to get the freshwater one

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok you guys are lifesavers (literally). One more thing. So I have sun dried shrimp that turned out to be WAY too big for my goldfish. Can you pls tell me a specific Meaty food for the loaches. And so I drop the sinking pellets for the fish at the same second? I’m still fasting them but I feel bad for the loaches! Help!

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Slvikan said:
Ok you guys are lifesavers (literally). One more thing. So I have sun dried shrimp that turned out to be WAY too big for my goldfish. Can you pls tell me a specific Meaty food for the loaches. And so I drop the sinking pellets for the fish at the same second? I’m still fasting them but I feel bad for the loaches! Help!
Sun dried shrimp? Link/photo? If we're talking whole shrimp meant for human consumption, just chop them up with a chopping knife. Make sure they aren't seasoned though.
With meaty food I just mean any food that contains meaty ingedrients. Freeze-dried (do soak these before feeding) or frozen daphnia, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae (red/white). Or get flakes meant for tropical fish with a similar diet, like cichlids and angelfish. Personally I just read the ingredients, if it is mainly algae/spiruline and meant for guppies or goldfish, those you don't want for loaches. Most of the other stuff is fine. I feed them pellets and flakes meant for shrimp, some meant for cories, some meant for cichlids, and some meant for bettas. All of these are good.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I can’t take the survival of the fittest. I’m standing in front ROOTING for the goldfish like GRAB IT NOW

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Slvikan said:
I can’t take the survival of the fittest. I’m standing in front ROOTING for the goldfish like GRAB IT NOW
Oh yes, both of those would be perfect for the loaches too. Just mix them up and that's perfect.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom