Dojo Loaches Help

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You guys have been AMAZING thus far & I am hoping you can help again!

So I JUST got two weather (dojo) loaches.
I am not even home yet.

1.)Is it okay to have two only?

2.) is this substrate ok?

I had sand but didn’t know how to do deep sand so returned for this.

I can separate a sandy area but I think it will just mix in with the gravel and wind up all over the place?

Attachments

TucanSam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sand will probably eventually mix in with gravel, but it won't do so immediately. I believe dojo's burrow so as lnog as the rocks aren't super sharp they should be ok? I considered getting dojo's so this is all from memory. Iirc they can be kept alone but also like company. I think your substrate looks okay, but hopefully others more knowledgeable can pipe up.

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agreed, substrate looks ok as far as being non-sharp. I consider dojo loaches to be the very first fish I ever kept, they love to burrow and love to be in groups (really like a large kulie loach). 2 should be fine, however if you get the opportunity I recommend getting more.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In my twenty gallon long tank I have two common goldfish two mystery snails and two dojo. Is it ok to get more in this size? And if yes I like to have them even (so 4) but if they get along with 3 maybe that’s better for the size. I love my goldies and don’t want them overwhelmed! I’m getting a bit of very fine sand to make a little sand box very shallow (is what I heard was best!) also. Please correct me on any or all of this!

Also
If I do get sand I like black sand on my substrate which is black but I don’t want them to get confused so I should probably get them white right

So I have aquarium gravel that looks like slate in my twenty gallon. I got two dojo loaches and want to make a small sand pit for them. Which of these containers is best for a sand pit (or I can do deeper). I can leave it on top of gravel. Please help y’all are amazing

Which of these is best for the sand? I can also do deeper. Smaller will fit better but I can make room by moving shells. My tank as it is now is first pic.

Attachments

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glass bowls work great. My dojos use the ones kept in my tank.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
Glass bowls work great. My dojos use the ones kept in my tank.
How deep?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A couple of inches? I had some Pyrex bowls with lids I modified to use as egg traps. Eventually, I ditched the lids and left the mossball containing bowls in place. The dojos thought they were great.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
A couple of inches? I had some Pyrex bowls with lids I modified to use as egg traps. Eventually, I ditched the lids and left the mossball containing bowls in place. The dojos thought they were great.
Ok sorry last thing. Are the bowls more like the one cup two cup or more shallow 1.75 cups.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think I used the 2 cup size. But honestly, given how much dojos like to wallow and dig in sand, any container that fits your tank will be fine. I mean I have a sand substrate tank and they used them just for a change of pace.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So I got 2 golden weather/dojo loaches (well one is white, the other gold). The white one is so mischievous while the gold is very very calm. I got AMAZING advice from you all saying to put a little sand pit in my gravel tank for the loaches to burrow. Did I pack the sand too tightly? Is it too in the open so they don’t care to burrow? I put some inside the log as well. I can put the hole in the log facing in (there’s only a hole on one side so I can face it so it’s away from me and towards the back wall) if that’s more secluded? Please advise!! The loach will sit on the sand but not burrow (and he does try to burrow other places!)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
20 gallon long is maybe just borderline enough for a single adult dojo if it remains on the small side, I don't know about two. They vary in adult size but get at least 4-5 inches and if you have (in your case) bad luck they can grow to nearly twice as large - in which case a 20 gallon simply won't be enough space. They are very active fish. If they stay small you can have them in the 20 gallon, but if they do start to show significant growth you need to be ready to either upgrade the tank or rehome them. Goldfish have a sizable bioload, so do dojos. They are pretty big eaters and you may have to do some large weekly water changes to keep on top of water quality. I suggest you keep a close eye on water parameters the first month or so to make sure your don't get spikes in either nitrates or ammonia/nitrites.
They would love a sand pit for sure though :)

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Soooo I stopped by a local aquatics store today and saw a tank with some weather loaches. They were dark with spots! I looked it up & apparently they ARE the same as the Golden Dojo’s, except the Gold’s are tank raised.
Either way does anybody know if they are the exact same? Like if I wanted three loaches and I have two golden’s (well one is albino), does the spotted one mean I have a group of 3 dojo loaches? I want to add to my crew but want to be sure I’m not giving competing animals.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pretty sure they are.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes theyre the same

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm pretty sure there are more than one species of Weather Loach as it has been referred to before. Don't think I am mistaken, but I have no further info so I suggest researching the subject.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Redshark1 said:
I'm pretty sure there are more than one species of Weather Loach as it has been referred to before. Don't think I am mistaken, but I have no further info so I suggest researching the subject.
So there are, just looked it up. There are 3 Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, Misgurnus Fossilis and Cobitis Taenia.
It seems M. Anuillicaudatus what are usually sold, they have spots as normal coloration and are the Golden variety.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
I kept weather loaches once in a coldwater tank with white clouds and fancy goldfish. The whole tank was sand but I only saw the larger loach burrow in the sand once. He would spend lots of time digging around searching for food however when it came to actually burrowing, it didn’t do much of it. All fish have different personalities so it may be that your loach is confident enough that it doesn’t feel the need to hide

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you should have probably burrowed the pit a bit more (or used a more shallow bowl) so that it actually seems like part of the substrate. My loaches sift through the soil to look for food mostly (and I think some do it to cool off when the water is very warm and the soil cool). He does like to sit on there apparently, so I do think he likes it.
I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not like there is anything wrong if they don't burrow. Some just won't. Mine never really burrow, as in really stick their bodies in the substrate, either.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. I am going to take the sand pit out today prior to water changing. The question is this—should I put this in its place? I already own it and it’s just the porcelain part (and I would lay on its side). I can also do a pit just much more shallow as they DO like to rest on it but I am wondering if they would prefer another spot to swim in and out of

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom