Dojo Loaches Help

KribensisLover1

You guys have been AMAZING thus far & I am hoping you can help again!

So I JUST got two weather (dojo) loaches.
I am not even home yet.

1.)Is it okay to have two only?

2.) is this substrate ok?

I had sand but didn’t know how to do deep sand so returned for this.

I can separate a sandy area but I think it will just mix in with the gravel and wind up all over the place?

Attachments

• 56B3BE57-82CC-412C-8798-62C88F789611.png
    56B3BE57-82CC-412C-8798-62C88F789611.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DF7FD999-B3C2-4A50-AC24-8C36BF4BE16B.jpeg
    DF7FD999-B3C2-4A50-AC24-8C36BF4BE16B.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 81

TucanSam

Sand will probably eventually mix in with gravel, but it won't do so immediately. I believe dojo's burrow so as lnog as the rocks aren't super sharp they should be ok? I considered getting dojo's so this is all from memory. Iirc they can be kept alone but also like company. I think your substrate looks okay, but hopefully others more knowledgeable can pipe up.

Quinn_Lamb98

Agreed, substrate looks ok as far as being non-sharp. I consider dojo loaches to be the very first fish I ever kept, they love to burrow and love to be in groups (really like a large kulie loach). 2 should be fine, however if you get the opportunity I recommend getting more.

KribensisLover1

In my twenty gallon long tank I have two common goldfish two mystery snails and two dojo. Is it ok to get more in this size? And if yes I like to have them even (so 4) but if they get along with 3 maybe that’s better for the size. I love my goldies and don’t want them overwhelmed! I’m getting a bit of very fine sand to make a little sand box very shallow (is what I heard was best!) also. Please correct me on any or all of this!

Also
If I do get sand I like black sand on my substrate which is black but I don’t want them to get confused so I should probably get them white right

So I have aquarium gravel that looks like slate in my twenty gallon. I got two dojo loaches and want to make a small sand pit for them. Which of these containers is best for a sand pit (or I can do deeper). I can leave it on top of gravel. Please help y’all are amazing

Which of these is best for the sand? I can also do deeper. Smaller will fit better but I can make room by moving shells. My tank as it is now is first pic.

Attachments

• 554EA812-5DC5-4144-B9D8-A9553DA50508.jpeg
    554EA812-5DC5-4144-B9D8-A9553DA50508.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 91A4F651-6936-4C32-92F3-3181AAA7E917.jpeg
    91A4F651-6936-4C32-92F3-3181AAA7E917.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 70
  • C8D4135D-069C-48B8-93A7-82633B2F5B07.jpeg
    C8D4135D-069C-48B8-93A7-82633B2F5B07.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 78

maggie thecat

Glass bowls work great. My dojos use the ones kept in my tank.

KribensisLover1

Glass bowls work great. My dojos use the ones kept in my tank.
How deep?

maggie thecat

A couple of inches? I had some Pyrex bowls with lids I modified to use as egg traps. Eventually, I ditched the lids and left the mossball containing bowls in place. The dojos thought they were great.

KribensisLover1

A couple of inches? I had some Pyrex bowls with lids I modified to use as egg traps. Eventually, I ditched the lids and left the mossball containing bowls in place. The dojos thought they were great.
Ok sorry last thing. Are the bowls more like the one cup two cup or more shallow 1.75 cups.

maggie thecat

I think I used the 2 cup size. But honestly, given how much dojos like to wallow and dig in sand, any container that fits your tank will be fine. I mean I have a sand substrate tank and they used them just for a change of pace.

KribensisLover1

So I got 2 golden weather/dojo loaches (well one is white, the other gold). The white one is so mischievous while the gold is very very calm. I got AMAZING advice from you all saying to put a little sand pit in my gravel tank for the loaches to burrow. Did I pack the sand too tightly? Is it too in the open so they don’t care to burrow? I put some inside the log as well. I can put the hole in the log facing in (there’s only a hole on one side so I can face it so it’s away from me and towards the back wall) if that’s more secluded? Please advise!! The loach will sit on the sand but not burrow (and he does try to burrow other places!)

PascalKrypt

20 gallon long is maybe just borderline enough for a single adult dojo if it remains on the small side, I don't know about two. They vary in adult size but get at least 4-5 inches and if you have (in your case) bad luck they can grow to nearly twice as large - in which case a 20 gallon simply won't be enough space. They are very active fish. If they stay small you can have them in the 20 gallon, but if they do start to show significant growth you need to be ready to either upgrade the tank or rehome them. Goldfish have a sizable bioload, so do dojos. They are pretty big eaters and you may have to do some large weekly water changes to keep on top of water quality. I suggest you keep a close eye on water parameters the first month or so to make sure your don't get spikes in either nitrates or ammonia/nitrites.
They would love a sand pit for sure though

KribensisLover1

Soooo I stopped by a local aquatics store today and saw a tank with some weather loaches. They were dark with spots! I looked it up & apparently they ARE the same as the Golden Dojo’s, except the Gold’s are tank raised.
Either way does anybody know if they are the exact same? Like if I wanted three loaches and I have two golden’s (well one is albino), does the spotted one mean I have a group of 3 dojo loaches? I want to add to my crew but want to be sure I’m not giving competing animals.

jinjerJOSH22

Pretty sure they are.

MissNoodle

Yes theyre the same

Redshark1

I'm pretty sure there are more than one species of Weather Loach as it has been referred to before. Don't think I am mistaken, but I have no further info so I suggest researching the subject.

jinjerJOSH22

I'm pretty sure there are more than one species of Weather Loach as it has been referred to before. Don't think I am mistaken, but I have no further info so I suggest researching the subject.
So there are, just looked it up. There are 3 Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, Misgurnus Fossilis and Cobitis Taenia.
It seems M. Anuillicaudatus what are usually sold, they have spots as normal coloration and are the Golden variety.

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

SuperD14

I kept weather loaches once in a coldwater tank with white clouds and fancy goldfish. The whole tank was sand but I only saw the larger loach burrow in the sand once. He would spend lots of time digging around searching for food however when it came to actually burrowing, it didn’t do much of it. All fish have different personalities so it may be that your loach is confident enough that it doesn’t feel the need to hide

PascalKrypt

I think you should have probably burrowed the pit a bit more (or used a more shallow bowl) so that it actually seems like part of the substrate. My loaches sift through the soil to look for food mostly (and I think some do it to cool off when the water is very warm and the soil cool). He does like to sit on there apparently, so I do think he likes it.
I wouldn't worry about it though, it's not like there is anything wrong if they don't burrow. Some just won't. Mine never really burrow, as in really stick their bodies in the substrate, either.

KribensisLover1

I totally agree. I am going to take the sand pit out today prior to water changing. The question is this—should I put this in its place? I already own it and it’s just the porcelain part (and I would lay on its side). I can also do a pit just much more shallow as they DO like to rest on it but I am wondering if they would prefer another spot to swim in and out of

Have two dojo loaches. Going to get a 3rd and maybe a 4th. What’s better? Even or odd? And I have to do a water change TODAY. I should wait and put them in after correct?

PascalKrypt

I totally agree. I am going to take the sand pit out today prior to water changing. The question is this—should I put this in its place? I already own it and it’s just the porcelain part (and I would lay on its side). I can also do a pit just much more shallow as they DO like to rest on it but I am wondering if they would prefer another spot to swim in and out of
Maybe it's me but I'm not seeing any pictures?

Kiks

Have two dojo loaches. Going to get a 3rd and maybe a 4th. What’s better? Even or odd? And I have to do a water change TODAY. I should wait and put them in after correct?

They enjoy the company of each other so I'd assume the more the merrier.

What size tank are they in?

PascalKrypt

This is for the 20 gallon long right? I understand you are enthusiastic but please don't get anymore loaches unless you upgrade. If the ones you have end up growing a bit your tank will already be too small.

Kiks

This is for the 20 gallon long right? I understand you are enthusiastic but please don't get anymore loaches unless you upgrade. If the ones you have end up growing a bit your tank will already be too small.

If this is for a 20 gallon long I wouldn't even put one in there.

It's already overstocked as it is. The best advice would be to re-home the ones you have, Slvikan.

KribensisLover1

I didn’t get more. I will upgrade my tank probably in the next two months. I was thinking a breeder so the surface area is larger. Thoughts?

Do you think a 23 Long is better or a 30 breeder? The less weight the better but it IS 6 extra inches length. More concerned with length than height!

This is for a few months from now!

jinjerJOSH22

In my opinion you want at least 36 inches long and 12 inches depth but 48 inches is really the target. The can grow 10/12 inches.

KribensisLover1

Could I do a 33 long? I wish there was a wider one without jumping to a 70!

PascalKrypt

I'd say a 3 foot tank is really the bare minimum for dojos. I know people say the height doesn't matter much but in my experience they swim all over the tank and like to hang in floating plants or rest of broad leaved plants near the surface. So getting a larger volume is still better (and usually footprint itself is the only size constraint people have). So in short, get the longest tank you can get and then get the highest model of that tank length. I'd recommend a 50 or 55 gallon, especially since you have goldfish as well.
If you have the means to go even larger, do that. If you want to keep a group you should get a 4 foot tank. They are boisterous in groups and tank mates will need some space as well.

KribensisLover1

Last question
Trying to get rid of swim bladder for goldfish. I did peas for two days today they are fasting. Is this cruel to the dojo’s and snails as I also did a water change today (like a 40% one?)

PascalKrypt

Last question
Trying to get rid of swim bladder for goldfish. I did peas for two days today they are fasting. Is this cruel to the dojo’s and snails as I also did a water change today (like a 40% one?)
Nope, fasting adult fish for a few days is not a big deal. Are you keeping an eye on your parameters in relation to the SBD though?

KribensisLover1

It’s ok to do to the dojo’s tho? And I don’t know if my goldfish are adults! And what’s sbd

PascalKrypt

It’s ok to do to the dojo’s tho? And I don’t know if my goldfish are adults! And what’s sbd
Its just an abbreviation of swim bladder disorder. Fish can go without food for several days without any issues, when I go on holiday for a week they go without food the entire time. A lot of people regularly fast their fish (feed 6 days, fast 1), etc. It's not a big deal as long as you feed them enough and the right kind of food on the days that you do feed.

KribensisLover1

Can you recommend a good testing kit? I am feeding them these And I think the issue started when I began breaking them up. Prior to that they spit them out and ate them. I had no idea that wasn’t good! So I think they are eating much faster. ALSO they have seaweed in the tank (not now) as well as Aqueon algae wafers for the snails. I was giving more food than usual—by a lot—as they dojo’s were snatching it up!) I think I can give the food broken up but not as much for the others all at once. I WOULD like a water clarifier bc I have a small sand pit OR maybe I’ll rig the filter so I can turn it from it’s lowest settings. When I have it higher the Goldie’s sit in one tiny corner. I do think they’re swimming straight now and also going to the tank bottom but just want to know for the future! Put a piece of lettuce on the veggie clip yesterday without success.

PascalKrypt

Can you recommend a good testing kit? I am feeding them these And I think the issue started when I began breaking them up. Prior to that they spit them out and ate them. I had no idea that wasn’t good! So I think they are eating much faster. ALSO they have seaweed in the tank (not now) as well as Aqueon algae wafers for the snails. I was giving more food than usual—by a lot—as they dojo’s were snatching it up!) I think I can give the food broken up but not as much for the others all at once. I WOULD like a water clarifier bc I have a small sand pit OR maybe I’ll rig the filter so I can turn it from it’s lowest settings. When I have it higher the Goldie’s sit in one tiny corner. I do think they’re swimming straight now and also going to the tank bottom but just want to know for the future! Put a piece of lettuce on the veggie clip yesterday without success.
So what I do is feed both sinking and floating foods at once, so the food is spread throughout the tank. Dojos are champions at gobbling like christmas turkeys and I've yet to see a fish that can compete. Since they also need a lot of food though, spreading the food out allows all the different tank occupants to get a percentage of the food so at least everyone can eat. If these are sinking pellets, get some floating flakes as well.
I have no idea what is in these but you might want to consider that dojos need some more meaty foods than goldfish. They won't spit on some vegetables (spinach is a big winner in my tank) but make sure to feed them some frozen or live foods every once in a while. I think goldfish prepared foods like this one are mostly vegetable foods which isn't ideal for dojos that need both but majority meaty foods.

I'm not sure if your goldfish would get swim bladder disorder just from your breaking up the pellets. I don't think that should make a difference at all. I think I warned you before about parameters with fish that all have such a high bioload, I would be more worried about tank parameters causing this than the way you feed them. Also don't overfeed, a few pellets are enough.

I don't live in the U.S. so I can't really recommend brands, just get any liquid test (not strips), those will do. Make sure you can measure: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. A kit that includes a PH and KH test is also helpful but not as important.

AngryRainbow

A good testing kit in the US is API master kit, be sure to get the freshwater one

KribensisLover1

Ok you guys are lifesavers (literally). One more thing. So I have sun dried shrimp that turned out to be WAY too big for my goldfish. Can you pls tell me a specific Meaty food for the loaches. And so I drop the sinking pellets for the fish at the same second? I’m still fasting them but I feel bad for the loaches! Help!

PascalKrypt

Ok you guys are lifesavers (literally). One more thing. So I have sun dried shrimp that turned out to be WAY too big for my goldfish. Can you pls tell me a specific Meaty food for the loaches. And so I drop the sinking pellets for the fish at the same second? I’m still fasting them but I feel bad for the loaches! Help!
Sun dried shrimp? Link/photo? If we're talking whole shrimp meant for human consumption, just chop them up with a chopping knife. Make sure they aren't seasoned though.
With meaty food I just mean any food that contains meaty ingedrients. Freeze-dried (do soak these before feeding) or frozen daphnia, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae (red/white). Or get flakes meant for tropical fish with a similar diet, like cichlids and angelfish. Personally I just read the ingredients, if it is mainly algae/spiruline and meant for guppies or goldfish, those you don't want for loaches. Most of the other stuff is fine. I feed them pellets and flakes meant for shrimp, some meant for cories, some meant for cichlids, and some meant for bettas. All of these are good.

KribensisLover1

I can’t take the survival of the fittest. I’m standing in front ROOTING for the goldfish like GRAB IT NOW

PascalKrypt

I can’t take the survival of the fittest. I’m standing in front ROOTING for the goldfish like GRAB IT NOW
Oh yes, both of those would be perfect for the loaches too. Just mix them up and that's perfect.

KribensisLover1

Ai
Oh yes, both of those would be perfect for the loaches too. Just mix them up and that's perfect.
[/QUOT
what? Mix them up HOW?!!! They’re huge shrimp! With water? A paste

Example of how huge

That’s a random algae wafer (as you know lol)

PascalKrypt

Ai

Example of how huge

That’s a random algae wafer (as you know lol)
Yep, those are too big. Cut/chop them into smaller pieces.
The loaches will probably still eat them, just nipping at them bit by bit. Not so sure if the goldfish would get around to any of it though.

KribensisLover1

Also I feel like I’m starving the loaches tho they did get flakes this morning and perhaps a little algae in the wafers!
do I need this huge kit or are the test strips ok
I feel the bigger I go the more likely I am to panic lol

The loaches will probably still eat them, just nipping at them bit by bit. Not so sure if the goldfish would get around to any of it though.
The shrimp are brittle so I crumbled a couple almost like flakes but smaller. They don’t seem to understand the idea that food is at the top lol

Also my filter is nasty. Likely the sand.

nikm128

To briefly answer a couple of the things I saw....Ideally you should have a group of 6+ since they're really social fish.
I would go for a 40 breeder at least, they're also 50% off at petco right now so you might not have to wait as long as you think.

AngryRainbow

Go with the big kit. The test strips are not accurate

To briefly answer a couple of the things I saw....Ideally you should have a group of 6+ since they're really social fish.
I would go for a 40 breeder at least, they're also 50% off at petco right now so you might not have to wait as long as you think.

OP also has a couple common goldfish so they will need to go bigger than 40 gallons

KribensisLover1

Tank looks pretty clear

nikm128

Go with the big kit. The test strips are not accurate

OP also has a couple common goldfish so they will need to go bigger than 40 gallons
Thanks for the catch, I was too focused on the loaches. Depending on the quantity of common goldfish then, I'd say 55 gallon minimum.

KribensisLover1

My only issue I just just bought like two weeks ago a 20 gallon and it’s the LID that is so expensive. Doesn’t mean I can’t do it but darn! Wish I had gone even larger. But knowing me I’ll find a way. TY for heads up.

Thanks for the catch, I was too focused on the loaches. Depending on the quantity of common goldfish then, I'd say 55 gallon minimum.
They also have a sale on that!

AngryRainbow

If you would rather keep your 20 gallon you could rehome the dojos and goldfish and go with a smaller loach such as the kuhlI loach

KribensisLover1

Thank you guys so much for helping me learn and not shaming me for not being right and allowing me to grow with the fish. I really appreciate it and am going to upgrade sooner than later. I’ve been on other forums that won’t answer questions if you do not have certain set ups but then I don’t know which set ups bc I can’t get questions answered!!!!! It’s only been a month and a few days and I’m sure in a month I’ll have the 55. Knowing me and thanking you!

If you would rather keep your 20 gallon you could rehome the dojos and goldfish and go with a smaller loach such as the kuhlI loach
Oops just saw this! Thank you! Good to know and think about. Very good.

Thank you so so so so much for all of your help and input. As I told others I am growing with the knowledge, and am so grateful to be taught rather than shamed. Other forums or people on them sometimes have not answered questions bc I didn’t have proper set ups, but you have helped me SEE what a proper one is. So I am so thankful. Will be taking all suggestions today! Including master kit!!

Ok so when I feed them today should I:
Break two pellets up for the Goldie’s as usual
Mush up the brittle shrimp and mix it with tropical
And drop in two diff sides at once?
I also have a veggie clip and some seaweed.
the shrimp and pellets and all don't sink bc it’s so small so I can soak it all first for a few min.
And should I dump an algae wafer for the snails?

PascalKrypt

Ok so when I feed them today should I:
Break two pellets up for the Goldie’s as usual
Mush up the brittle shrimp and mix it with tropical
And drop in two diff sides at once?
I also have a veggie clip and some seaweed.
the shrimp and pellets and all don't sink bc it’s so small so I can soak it all first for a few min.
And should I dump an algae wafer for the snails?
Sounds good.
Keep a close watch to see if all the stuff gets eaten in a few minutes, if not -- remove and feed less next time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JenC
Replies
Views
MonumentalMurderBean
Replies
Views
Junne
Replies
Views