75 Gallon Tank Dojo Loaches and Neon Tetras

Gameynerd23

Hello, I have a 75 gallon tank with this stocking:

5 Dojo Loaches (the largest is probably 10" and the smallest is probably 5")

12 Emerald Corys (Brochis Splendens)

15 Danios

I currently have 8 Neon Tetras in a 20g long (I'm planning on getting more soon) and I'm thinking about moving them tk the 75g. My only problem is, I'm worried the Dojos will eat the Neons. The Loaches haven't been going after any other fish in the tank, not the danios, corys, or other Dojos. Should I add the Neons to the 75g or leave them in the 20g long? If I did add them to the tank, how many should I add? I was thinking 24 if I did.

Gameynerd23

If I run these filters:

1 Marineland Penguin 375 (for 75 gallons)

2 Penn-Plax Cascade 1500 (for 200 gallons)

And if I do 50% water changes weekly, then could I have this stocking?

5 Dojo Loaches

15 Emerald Corys

45 Neon Tetras

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I would worry about the danios. Most are fine in large schools, but they can be fin nippers and have been known to pick on smaller fish. You did not list what kind of danio but zebras and giants can be pretty bratty and neons do not defend themselves.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

I would worry about the danios. Most are fine in large schools, but they can be fin nippers and have been known to pick on smaller fish. You did not list what kind of danio but zebras and giants can be pretty bratty and neons do not defend themselves.
I've actually rehomed the Danios since then, so it would just be the Neons. And the Danios were all different types of Zebra Danio.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

The neons would probably be OK since they hang out near the top and middle but they prefer a very mature tank so make sure it is fully cycled and at least 6 months old to ensure they make it. They seem to be very sensitive due to overbreeding.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

The neons would probably be OK since they hang out near the top and middle but they prefer a very mature tank so make sure it is fully cycled and at least 6 months old to ensure they make it. They seem to be very sensitive due to overbreeding.
Alright, The tank is cycled and is about 5 and a half months old. I had a few Neons in another tank, but I've since moved them to the 75g, so I'll keep an eye on them. Can I have 45 of them? Or would that be too much?

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I dont know about the school size. I would add 6-8 at a time. You might get up to 30 or so and go from there to see how they move around. You will see if there is enough room to add more. Adding anything in a large number is likely to start a mini-cycle so be careful.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

I dont know about the school size. I would add 6-8 at a time. You might get up to 30 or so and go from there to see how they move around. You will see if there is enough room to add more. Adding anything in a large number is likely to start a mini-cycle so be careful.
Ok, my LFS usually stocks Neons in groups of around those numbers, so I can add them slower with more ease. I'll watch the school and see what happens at 30 fish. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hershamrichard
  • Question
Replies
Views
Spudsssy
  • Question
Replies
Views