dojo loach question

scottymac

hI all, new here, have 29 gal tank, was my son's for a year, things went down hill, not the tanks fault :;pumpkin, any way I have it cleaned and running for 2 weeks now, everything going well, I think the cycle is going well, all the other fish are doing fine, "luther" my dojo loach the first few days was very active in the evenings, putting on quite a show, but this last week, he is always hiding and never comes out ?? I thought he might be dead or dieing, finally rousted him out seems ok, but prefers to hide under something or the gravel all the time.. I read they were pretty social ,to humans as well, but he is a real recluse.any thoughts ? water temp 74-76.
thanks !
sm

scottymac

Dojo question

Hi, posted this question somewhere, haven't seen it or had any replies, could be that I'm forum illiterate..any way, have new dojo loach "Luther", seemed very excited first couple of evenings, lots of activity, now he seems to just hide under rocks or gravel and never comes out..I am afraid he's not eating enough...any ideas?
thanks !
sm

Butterfly

Scottymac I hope you don't mind that I merged your two posts
Since your tank isn't completely cycled and there are some ammonia readings I would hazard a guess that he's reacting to the ammonia.
Heres some information on Dojo Loaches.
https://www.fishlore.com/profile-dojoloach.htm
One of the common names for KuhlI Loaches is Leopard Loach. Is this what yours looks like?

Loaches in general are very sensitive to water quality and ammonia specifically.
I would advise you to do water changes when you see ammonia to preserve the life of your fish. If you know someone with a cycled tank that would be willing to give you a cup full of gravel or a piece of their filter media it will help cycle your tank faster. Keep us posted on how the tank is doing
Wlcome to FishLore!
Carol

scottymac

thanks

thx for the reply, ammonia is 0.25, "luther" was out this morning scrounging for breakfast, he seems ok, will keep an eye on things.
sm

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies
Views
Carolyn Johnson
Replies
Views
2211Nighthawk