Dojo Loach Price Range Question 

Hawkeye99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had a Dojo Loach in the past. I didn't know anything about them except that they looked like eels, swam really fast and one cost me $12. I named him Eeli because I thought he was an eel. Sadly one day I woke up and Eeli was just left as bones that were being sucked on by my algae eater. Is it possible that my Guorami ate the entirety of my eel? The Guorami has been aggressive towards other fish in the past. So I pose two questions now.
How much should these Loaches cost?
And is it very strange to have just been left with the skeletal remains of Eeli?

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
skeletal remains are pretty normal if a fish has been dead for a night, My LFS sells dojos for around $5, Petsmart sells the golden dojos for around $10.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've gotten ahold of mine for about $7-$8 each.

Were you keeping it in the 10 gallon? Dojos get way too big for that small of a tank. Plus, with your CAE I think you're fairly overstocked as it is.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When they die they break down really fast.

I've seen them from $7-10.

Hawkeye99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool, thank you everyone. The LFS I went to had very high prices and I was so upset to see that my loach died after only a few months. I had a very overstocked tank but the fish all lived very happily including the dojo who happily cruised around in my tank. I really want to pick up 2 or 3 for my new 29 gallon tank. Unfortunately no one seems to have any in stock right now =( Is it alright if I put 3 dojo's in a 29 gallon tank? From the research I've done recently I think that they should have plenty of room and with my decor and new sand they can burrow and hide.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't be comfortable putting them in anything less than a 48" tank.

Hawkeye99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Really? Not even a Kuhli Loach? Because I have a Kuhli Loach in my 10 gallon right now. He's kind of mopey but comes out at night and frolics around my tank and appears very happy and healthy. He's a speed demon and I can tell he'll need a bigger tank. I think 29 gallons will suffice right?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hawkeye99 said:
Really? Not even a Kuhli Loach? Because I have a Kuhli Loach in my 10 gallon right now. He's kind of mopey but comes out at night and frolics around my tank and appears very happy and healthy. He's a speed demon and I can tell he'll need a bigger tank. I think 29 gallons will suffice right?
Are we talking about dojo loaches or kuhli loaches??

29 is good for kuhlis, but too small for dojos.

Hawkeye99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well I had a Dojo Loach in the past and he was so cool. He was very active, and such a dopey little thing to keep in my tank. So I wanted to figure out how much they cost. Right now I have a Kuhli Loach who replaced the Dojo and so far he's alright in my 10-gallon. I'm upgrading to a 29 gallon after the holidays so I just had some stocking questions. I guess I'm not going with a Dojo then if the tank is too small =(

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your kuhli will be much more active if you get him some friends. You could easily fit 5-6 in your 29gal.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bassbonediva said:
Your kuhli will be much more active if you get him some friends. You could easily fit 5-6 in your 29gal.
+1. I'm quite confident that you'll enjoy 6 kuhlis in the 29 more than 1 or 2 dojos.

Hawkeye99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh wow! 6 kuhli loaches in a tank? That's awesome I didn't realize I could put that many in a tank together. My LFS and other people seem to say that it's very bad to put a lot of fish in a tank. I have 7 fish in a 10-gallon and I know that it's a bit much but it's clean and my fish stay healthy and alive. I can't wait to get a 29-gallon, maybe someone could give me a stocking suggestion involving 5-6 Kuhli Loaches? I.e. will I need more than just 1 CAE and can I keep my marble Molly, Blue Guorami, Tetra's etc. (I really don't want some of my fish anymore and may give them to friends.) I want a very nice looking tank wih many of the same types of fish and I want them to be relatively colorful and cheap. It sounds ambitious but I don't want to make the mistake of buying something like an Iridescent Shark or Rainbow Shark.

Hawkeye99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'll definitely enjoy Kuhli's over Dojo's. Now does anyone know any other cool loaches that I may have overlooked? I really like the snake/eel looking ones and not the Clown Loach looking guys. I've seen Spiny/Tire Track Eels, but I'm not sure what they really are like. I've seen that they can get really big so I'm afraid of that. Can anyone give me a little intel please?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How many fish really depends on the fish and the size of the tank.

If you want to get rid of some fish, do it. If you can identify which fish you'll be keeping, then we can help you finish the tank.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
First thing I would do is get rid of your CAE. It's going to stop eating algae and start latching onto your other fish as it grows. Also, they get to be 13"+.

I think the molly and blue gourami would be okay in a 29gal.

Which fish don't you want anymore?

Take this into consideration with your stocking ideas...

Molly-Will get to be 4"+ and is very active
Gourami-Gets to 5" if it's a regular gourami, 2-3" if it's a dwarf gourami
Redeye Tetras-Need to be in groups of 6+ and get to be 2-2.5"
Danios-Need to be in groups of 6+ and are EXTREMELY active
Scissortail (rasbora??)-Need to be in groups of 6+ and get to be 5"

It's not necessarily just how many fish are in a tank, but what their ultimate size and bio-load are going to be, that need to be taken into consideration when stocking.

Hawkeye99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, so right now I have in a 10-gallon tank:
-1 Kuhli Loach
-2 Red-eyed Tetra's
-1 Zebra Danio
-1 Scissortail
-1 CAE
-1 Marble Molly
-1 Blue Guorami

I like all of my fish but the Danio, Tetras and Scissortail look grey and dull. Even though I like them I feel like they are the first to go. I like the Guorami but he chased a big goldfish that I used to have and I thought he killed my Dojo Loach. He can also go. The Marble Molly was one of my first fish and he's gotten kind of chunky compared to when I got him and he is definitely a keeper. If I could get more Mollie's that would be neat but I'm ok with just having my current Molly and possibly getting him just a buddy.
So I've narrowed it down to keeping my: Kuhli Loach, CAE, and Marble Molly.

Keep in mind I'm upgrading to a 20-gallon tank and I would like 6 Kuhli Loaches to be in here along with the CAE and the Molly.

Hawkeye99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bassbonediva said:
First thing I would do is get rid of your CAE. It's going to stop eating algae and start latching onto your other fish as it grows. Also, they get to be 13"+....

It's not necessarily just how many fish are in a tank, but what their ultimate size and bio-load are going to be, that need to be taken into consideration when stocking.
Ok I really like my CAE and he's such a cool guy to have. If I get rid of him then who can keep my tank clean? Will I inevitably get another CAE in the future? I was very concerned about the bio-load too. I don't quite know how to measure it too well, but right now in my overstocked 10-gallon the bio-load is actually pretty good. In other words, my tank stays clean and my filter is ok. 13-inches seems big for a CAE and I doubt he'll get that big in a 29-gallon tank but I'm not sure. Theres a lot of question marks with this tank. I hope this cleared a few up? But probably raised a few more =(

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it a 20 or a 29 gallon we are talking about stocking??

Hawkeye99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jaysee said:
Is it a 20 or a 29 gallon we are talking about stocking??
We're talking about stocking my future 29-gallon tank.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hawkeye99 said:
Keep in mind I'm upgrading to a 20-gallon tank and I would like 6 Kuhli Loaches to be in here along with the CAE and the Molly.
That's what I thought. What's the deal with the 20 gallon?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom