Dojo loach lump

David765

Hi there, just signed up to try and get some advice on my dojo loach.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? Was 35 litres, and I know too small but taken over from a friend. Now in 105 L tank alone.
How long has the tank been running? New 105 L been on 3 weeks
Does it have a filter? Yep
Does it have a heater? No - room temp 21 Celsius
What is the water temperature? 21 oC
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Only the loach

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly 25-30% - was more like 40-50% in smaller tank though
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water? Tap water safe and Stress zyme
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Pump the gravel

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yep
What do you use to test the water? Tetra 7 in 1 test strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
NO3- 10
NO2- 0
GH- >16
KH- 15
Ph- 7.2
CL2- 0
Old tank had a NO3 problem always being high, due to small size I suspect, so that may have caused problems

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once or twice daily
How much do you feed your fish? Enough for one to eat in about 30 mins
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Kind British
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? nope

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Around 4 years, unknown age
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 6 weeks ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lump on body, got himself tangled under a tank ornament, was a red injury, now turned into skin coloured lump
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Tried interpret anti-internal bacteria, didn't seem to work although it did get rid of the redness. Was advised to use anti fugal, fish rot and ulcer, also doesn't seem to have worked.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? n/a
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Stopped eating in smaller tank, now swimming about and eating again since the move

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Just wondering what to try next? Any advice appreciated

bcsay720

I'm not sure what it is, but it definitely doesn't look good. I also see that his fins are clamped, so it probably hurts or is stressing it out in other ways. Sorry that I can't offer more advice. Doesn't look like parasites, at least. How long did you do the treatment for? I find that some treatments can take twice or three times as long as if recommended on the bottle.

David765

Poor thing, its annoying me seeing it so I doubt he's enjoying life too much. I only did one dose, and at half the bottle due to him being scaleless (according to the guy in the place I bought it). I could try a second dose and see if that helps?

David765

Sadly the loach passed away the other day.

I tried another week of anti internal bacterial with aquarium salt which helped the fin stop being clamped.
I thought he was better because the lump went completely to just a dark red patch, but then the next day he had red streaks all over, likely sepsis.

I then tried three days of pimafix which got rid of the red but white spot came on top of the lump and under his fins was red and white. He was bloated and wasn't eating. I don't think he's eaten properly for about a month. He was breathing very quickly and didn't wake up the next morning.
I tried everything I could think of, even contacted a vet and an aquarium shop but we can't get antibiotics here so there wasn't much else I could try. Feel really sad but at least he is no longer suffering.

bcsay720

It's so hard to lose a fish, especially after you put in so much work to help it. I'm sorry for your loss.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom