Dojo Loach Crash Course

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by walkingspanish, Apr 17, 2017.

1. walkingspanish

walkingspanish Valued Member Member

From Googling around, I've learned a few basic things about Dojo loaches.

I LEARNED THAT THEY ARE SCALELESS, THEREFORE, WHAT MEDICATIONS SHOULD I AVOID?

But I'm looking for miscellaneous information that only a experienced aquarist would know (what diseases they tend to get, behaviors unique to them, conditions they're prone to >>> Swim bladder deformaties and pinching from overfeeding is commonplace in Fancy Goldfish, for example.)

I know that they're carnivorous, they do well in cold water, they're friendly and apparently like to be pet, they like to burrow in SOFT substrate, they're escape artists, they're good candidates for a community tank, they can survive outside of water for several hours, they get to be approx 6-8 inches long, they seldom breed in captivity, and they're extremely responsive to barometric changes.
    What am I missing here? I want happy and healthy noodles.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

dojo, or weather loaches, as i know them, are probably the coolest fish i have ever owned.

ok from what I've experience with my three bundles of joy. Yes they are scaleless so most meds need to be avoided. For the most part, clean water will help with *almost* anything. I've been lucky *and crazy paranoid* so none of mine have gotten sick and i haven't had to worry about sickness.

They like colder water 68-78 degrees, i have mine with my gold fish and they LOVE sand or something to bury in. they will also (probably) murder most plants because mine wont stop digging. they're friendly, mine have started taking pellets from my hand. mine don't necessarily react to the weather, they're always nuts. They can just, Diego has decided he like getting air born so have a lid and i keep the water about 2 inches below the lid and I'm probably going to leave an even bigger gap in my new tank because the goldfish likes to play Free Willi. Sheesh...

they can survive out of water, my first one lasted two, unfortunately, three hours was too long for him when he tried making the jump again but he *was* still alive when i found him... all three of my current ones are right around the 7-8 inch range, my two females are much thicker then my male.

Best fish I've ever owned. :)

4. OP
    OP
    walkingspanish

What medications are safe for them? Thank you for your response!

5. iamclaire

iamclaire Valued Member Member

I have 5 myself, they are an Asian catfish. They will recognize you! They like frozen brine shrimp and mine love hikari bottom feeder wafer. Be careful though, feeding them any amount of freeze dried food. Because of their long narrow shape, they easily become constipated.

They will swim up to the surface to fill air on occasion, it is believed that this is to aid in.pushing the food farther along their digestive tract.

They fart. If you see them with their rear floating, and their front on the floor of the aquarium, then they are going to fart. Watch them long enough, and you will see bubbles float from their butts AS they fart.

They love to be in groups, and frequently cuddle. And they sleep in some of the strangest positions.

Avoid all meds if you can, constipation can be cured by holding off on feedi mg ordering shelled peas.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  6. 2211Nighthawk

meds i honesty don't know. I've been lucky...

yes, groups, yes cuddling, they've adopted my ropefish into the gang and yes they fart. :)

7. OP
    OP
    walkingspanish

THATS SO CUTE!! Maybe a homemade gel food would work for them? I used freeze dried stuff as treats. What should I put into it? More animal matter than plant? More plant than animal? What veggies do they like? Thank you for your response!

8. 2211Nighthawk

they're omnivores and will eat just about anything i give them. They'll east pellets, flakes, bloodworms, I've heard zucchini but haven't tried it yet. Mom haven't bought any and I'm allergic to veggies :D

9. OP
    OP
    walkingspanish

Your babies are cutttteeeeee! I don't have any yet, but I will post after I have the new tank completely cycled and my are ready to noodles come home.

10. iamclaire

The more variety in their diet the better! And you can feed them a freeze dried treat, just very sparingly and watch for the floating. If they start floating, that means they are constipated, feed them the shelled peas. They appear to be alright (fingers crossed) with ridich, and have tolerated a week long journey into 80 degrees F while I battled ich. I think they are safer with higher temperatures as long as it isn't for any extended period of time, rather than the meds. They like about 60- 70 % meat, 30-40% algae, veggie, shelled peas. They like to cruise along the tank, and will occasionally run into the glass.

I have 5 happy little noodles. They love to be together!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  11. OP
    OP
    walkingspanish

How do you keep them from getting into your filters? How do you keep them in your tank?

12. 2211Nighthawk

Lids are a must!! Mine have hit the glass before, the idiot is a jumper all right. I have a canister filter so I just tired really coarse mesh over the outtake so that nothing swims in it. It's a hard current but my ropefish got his big head stuck in it. Sure fixed that issues real fast.

13. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Count me in the dojo fan club. I've got 3 regular dojos in my 75 and they are tons of fun. Always exploring. Always hanging in plants. And always rushing to the surface for pets.

As far as diseases, I've been lucky and not had to treat them for anything. They are some of my favorite pets. I had 4 and one jumped out and i didn't notice his absence for a day or so. He did not survive unfortunately.

14. iamclaire

Mine don't really jump and don't really have any trouble with the filter at all. The do run face first into the glass though!

15. 2211Nighthawk

None of mine did either until I got my male!! He'd learnt from the previous owners that good food floats at the top and I hand feed my goldfish some times... now my other female has learnt from her boyfriend!

16. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

I have many loaches. Dojo, gold dojo, butterfly, kuhli, sumo, Japanese, etc etc

The regular dojo and gold dojo are my favorite. Dojo loaches are very keen on escaping.. the first time I came home to dojo loach beef jerky on my floor I took the matter more seriously and sealed up any holes in the lid with some screen cutouts from old reptile lids.

No worries on the loach jerkey, he survived. After putting him in my fuge for a couple hours he came back to life and is still alive to this day

17. 2211Nighthawk

Putting him in WHAT?! I'm thinking fudge!

18. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

Haha, refugium it's part of my sump that I soak alder cones and oak leaves in or grow moss/plants etc. I didn't want to put him directly in the aquarium for fear of inhabitants dining on his mummified body. Hes probably the fattest one I have now. Whenever I go to feed them tubifex blocks I have to battle him to get it stuck on the glass and he sounds like a grown man slurping soup when he begs at the surface for food

19. 2211Nighthawk

THANK YOU! Good grief I knew it wasn't that but had no idea what in Sam hill you were taking about. Makes SO much more sence.

20. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

It wouldn't surprise me if you took my dojos and put them in fudge. I bet they'd survive.

Mine also eat from the surface. Little piggies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice