Dojo Loach Always Buried

Discussion in 'Dojo Loach' started by Paulofthenoise, Jul 18, 2017.

1. PaulofthenoiseNew MemberMember

300 litre tank with 2 Hong Kong pleas, to dojo loach and 2 small goldfish. Water changes every 3-5 days. Tested regularly. Last test was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and and between 5+10 nitrates. Ph was 7.8. Using the api master test kit. Tank is about 1 year old, so well cycled. Using an aqua one cf1200 (will be adding more filtration at some point as the goldfish grow but think it's fine just now)

So to the fish. I have 2 dojo loach. Recently one (fester) is spending all its time buried in the substrate. The other (lurch) swims about fine foraging and dancing in the bubbles. Fester first disappeared a couple weeks back. Couldn't see him anywhere. He is very shy but would usually come out for food or be visable under a rock. I took everything out looking for him and eventually found him buried deep in the substrate. After replacing everything he disappeared again and popped up a few days later during another clean. During the days between cleaning I had seen him a couple times But in the last week he has dissapeared totally. I'm assuming he is still buried as the tank has a tight fitting lid so no way to escape. Is this normal behaviour or something I should be worried about. Cleaned the tank yesterday and no sign of him although I didn't take out all the ornaments. Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Paul

2. BuddyD

BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

They only time my dojo hid was when I had a fish constantly picking at him/her. I got rid of the bad fish, though dojo lost the tail fin, ever since it's been fine out and about not hiding anymore.

3. OP
    OP
    P

PaulofthenoiseNew MemberMember

He's never had a problem with any of the other fish. They keep themselves to themselves mainly with the occasional interaction during feeding.

4. Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

You name a loach fester and wonder why he enjoys being buried. I suggest you put away the shovel.

( :troll: )

5. OP
    OP
    P

as much as he lives up to his name sake, it's still worrying that I haven't seen him in days.

6. Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

Is there any way he is hiding in the filter?

Sounds like they're at least a bit similar to kuhli loaches. One of mine hid in the prefilter once and all the others hide under wood and go crazy once in a while

7. OP
    OP
    P

He's definitely under the substrate. Filter has a guard on it that he won't fit past. He will just be under a rock or piece of wood. I'm more just wondering if this is normal behaviour. I am hoping to re plant tomorrow so will find out then how he is doing. Doing another check in the ammonia levels today. Figure that if he's dead there will be a large spike in the ammonia

8. LoLo Bender

LoLo BenderNew MemberMember

Hi, I recently found my Yoyo Loach after i thought he got sucked up in the filter like his partner. I have a Nano Cube so they had to jump over that retaining wall to get to the filter well. 1 was curled up in the intake valve- dead☹️ and the other one was missing so i resigned to believe he was sucked TROUGH the filter...little bits of stuff came loose as i shook out every part looking for him, so we bought another Yoyo to keep the original Loach company...water parameters are good so i waited a coupled of weeks to pwc and trim back the plants and SOME HOW.... the missing loach just showed up! Looking just fine! Now we have 3 loaches.. well that loach still hides---in plants, caves, behind rocks...stays gone for a few days then just comes back I'm used to his personality but i do keep my eye out for him... just incase....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice