Doing things on a whim

1. orandagal Member Member

Hi All,
    I probably should have my hands slapped, but I went to our lfs (the only one in our immediate area-normally if looking for fish I go to Petsmart or a shop called Sandy's which is an hour away) and now that I've moved the goldfish to the bigger tank, I've kept the 12 gallon running. I saw these little cute fish, and because I left my glasses in the car couldn't see what they were called, asked the clerk how many of them I could keep in a 12 gallon tank. He said no more than three, they were not expensive, so I now have 3 platy's in the smaller tank-1 Red wagtail and 2 Mickeymouse. I sure hope they have enough room, although I feel they do, they are still really small and I don't plan on getting any more. Will need to do my research and I'm bad, have been preaching to myself, research first and what do I do-the exact opposite
    :;rules Like the smiley guy says "read the rules"

Just went on line to read up some more on them and have a Red Wag Moon, not Wagtail-oops.

2. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

If their platies, your fine :p. Though you could possibly do more then 3 im not sure. If they are male and female, expect many many babies. If they are female, still expect babies.

3. orandagal Member Member

Have no idea about the sex right now, something else I should have researched :confused:

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;bbShame on you. You should know better than impulse shopping... not!! I do it all the time, that is why I have so many tanks. Enjoy your new fish.

5. fbn Well Known Member Member

Definitely find out your male-female ratio. You want to be female heavy. This way, the male's breeding aggression is spread out between a few females and not just one female. I LOVE platies! They are adorable and active. Good luck with them!

6. orandagal Member Member

(lol) Wendy, you're right, shame on me-Bad Debbie!!!! but I will look into the sex and if need be get the right equation to keep everyone happy :)

7. iRun Member Member

Overstocking and impulse buying allows me to justify getting more tanks ;)

8. fbn Well Known Member Member

I would get 2-3 females per male. :)

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Or just all females if you dont want too many babies.

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Exactly! Thats why I play the Goldfish Game at the fair every time I go, so I can get a really big tank, or a pond! XD

11. orandagal Member Member

I hear ya fbn:) I have day dreams all the time about moving up to a 40 or 50 gallon! I know it won't happen for a while as I just got this new one in January, but it never hurts to dream :)

12. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Don’t beat yourself up! We have all done it and anyone who says they haven’t don’t know what the truth is. Impulse buying is something we have all done in the past and sometimes it isn’t the wisest thing we have done.

As far a Platies go, they are a great small fish that normally don’t grow to much over two inches. They are not a real big waste producer and are fun to keep. They can be very prolific when it comes to reproducing if kept in mixed sexes. Like all livebearers they are very easy to sex by the anal fin, fanned out – female, collapsed in a tube shape – male. Platies do require you to keep the water pristine to keep them healthy but are a good recommendation for beginners. Personally I wouldn’t keep over 5 in a tank of that size.

13. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Platies are lovely fish! How about some pictures?

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

lol yes we have all done it, no worries. Just do yourself a favor and really learn a little bit about all the fish that your store carries so that you know what your getting into all the time lol cause you know your gonna do it again.