Doing My Homework While Tank Cycles ... Cuc For Fluval Evo 13.5?

Goldndoodle

I setup my Fluval EVO 13.5 this weekend. While it is cycling I was starting to get my list together for inhabitants (something to do besides watching an empty box of saltwater ...) I'm figuring the first ones in the pool are going to be the CUC. Does this sound about right ...

[EDIT - I modified list for CUC after some research]

1x Emerald crab
1x Porcelain (or Pom Pom) crab
2x Scarlet Hermits

1x Cleaner Shrimp

1x Nerite snail
1x Margarita snail
1x Cerith snail
2x Nassarius snails

Do I need more, or less for a CUC??

Currently in the tank -
11.5 gallons of saltwater (1.024 sg)
10 lbs of live rock (heavily crusted in coraline algae, bought wet from LFS)
1" ramping up to 2" of live Caribsea Reef Sand
inTank Chamber One basket w/ floss only
Stock pump
100W submersible heater - connected to Inkbird temp controller
Stock LEDs
6" LED strip of blue moonlights added to hood
Fluval dual ramp timer

The plan for the tank is -
A pair of Gladiator or DaVincI Clownfish
LPS corals (starting 3 - 6 months AC [after cycle])

Long range plan -
Add two 12" TrueLumens LED fixtures under hood for SPS corals (in 9 - 12 months AC)

Goldndoodle

IMG_1697.jpeg

Jesterrace

I would skip the Emerald or Pom Pom crabs in a tank that size. They won't provide much cleanup crew benefit and are more likely to bother your fish since they are larger and will definitely eat snails. The hermits are best for clean up efforts without bothering other things. Skip the Nassarius and get a single conch snail, far more visible and entertaining and far more effective. I have 5 of them in my 90 gallon and they do a great job keeping my sand bed clean. Trochus snails are a much better all around cleaner (ie glass and rockwork) and Astrea would even be better than margarita or cerith. I would go with a handful of Trochus and a Conch and call it good. Wait until you have fish though before adding the conch (they eat algae, fish poop and excess food bits from the substrate and possibly lower rock).

Not a bad plan for stocking fish, a bit small for full grown clowns but with them being the only 2 fish in the tank it should work okay.

Here are the fighting conch snails in my tank. Fast forward to the 4 minute mark if you want to see why they are called "Fighting"

Goldndoodle

I would skip the Emerald or Pom Pom crabs in a tank that size. They won't provide much cleanup crew benefit and are more likely to bother your fish since they are larger and will definitely eat snails. The hermits are best for clean up efforts without bothering other things. Skip the Nassarius and get a single conch snail, far more visible and entertaining and far more effective. I have 5 of them in my 90 gallon and they do a great job keeping my sand bed clean. Trochus snails are a much better all around cleaner (ie glass and rockwork) and Astrea would even be better than margarita or cerith. I would go with a handful of Trochus and a Conch and call it good. Wait until you have fish though before adding the conch (they eat algae, fish poop and excess food bits from the substrate and possibly lower rock).

Not a bad plan for stocking fish, a bit small for full grown clowns but with them being the only 2 fish in the tank it should work okay.

Here are the fighting conch snails in my tank. Fast forward to the 4 minute mark if you want to see why they are called "Fighting"

The conch are awesome! Scratching some of those other snails for sure and going with one of those! Thanks for the feedback.

Phish_Phan

Just googled "Porcelain Crabs"

Absolutely picking one or two up...... can't help ya, but thanks OP!

Jesterrace

The conch are awesome! Scratching some of those other snails for sure and going with one of those! Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, after 2 failed attempts with a Diamond Watchman Goby (died pre-maturely both times) I decided it was time to go a different route with cleaning my substrate. LFS Suggested Conch snails and I don't regret it one bit.

Goldndoodle

Shortly after posting, I found my old APEX Aquacontroller in the basement behind some shelves. I am actually using APEX Fusion now to control my system.

Just googled "Porcelain Crabs"

Absolutely picking one or two up...... can't help ya, but thanks OP!

I found one at my LFS and bought it. It is an awesome crab! He sits in my zoa garden all day long just swinging his fans in the water filtering stuff out to eat. When I brought him home one of is big claws was off in the bag. I Googled, and apparently they do that when scared. Since then, he has molted twice, and he is growing that claw back now. AWESOME addition to the tank, I HIGHLY recommened!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emersongalicia
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
  • Question
Replies
Views
Jallen42
Replies