Dog With Separation Anxiety

akcarroll12
I have a one year old standard party poodle (same poodle who wouldn’t eat a week ago. He’s doing great now )and we’ve now had him for two weeks. We are super super close already and he follows me everywhere. He is the sweetest thing. He is perfectly trained( except for separation anxiety and his reaction to us leaving) and we have a great bond. Well when I go to work, he stays home alone. When I come home he is overjoyed to see me. I thought it was so cute. Until I saw all the scratch marks on all my doors. I literally just had them painted, and they are covered with scratch marks. I am about to go on vacation for two weeks and I am worried about how he will react. Any advice for us? Thank y’all!
IMG_0114.JPG

david1978
When you figure it out let me know. We have 2 dogs and as long as their both home she isn't too bad. Made the mistake of taking just one to the vet. Got home and the curtains were destroyed, our pillows and a couch cushion also suffered a lot of damage. Letting the tv on helps some but I'm at a loss as well.

Gypsy13
I know a lot of people crate their dogs. I couldn’t unless there was a medical need for it. My Kipp, bless him, made it all the way to the exterior siding once. A Doxie that tore up every blind she could reach when hubby had heart surgery. So this is my way: leave the dog alone for whatever length of time you know they can handle. Some that’s just five minutes. Is ok. (Baby monitors help greatly here). Before they start tearing things up go back and praise them. Do again within an hour. Taking just a few minutes more each time. Dogs learn through positive reinforcement. If you continue this, they will soon learn you will be back. It’s a time consuming lesson but one they will learn. Praise not treats. With my Doxie it too 3 weeks. Kipp only 5 days. Doxies not stupid just stubborn. Toy poodles more stubborn than standard. Y’all have enough patience for this?

akcarroll12
I know a lot of people crate their dogs. I couldn’t unless there was a medical need for it. My Kipp, bless him, made it all the way to the exterior siding once. A Doxie that tore up every blind she could reach when hubby had heart surgery. So this is my way: leave the dog alone for whatever length of time you know they can handle. Some that’s just five minutes. Is ok. (Baby monitors help greatly here). Before they start tearing things up go back and praise them. Do again within an hour. Taking just a few minutes more each time. Dogs learn through positive reinforcement. If you continue this, they will soon learn you will be back. It’s a time consuming lesson but one they will learn. Praise not treats. With my Doxie it too 3 weeks. Kipp only 5 days. Doxies not stupid just stubborn. Toy poodles more stubborn than standard. Y’all have enough patience for this?

Thank you. As a very busy in and out of the house family I don’t think that we will have time for this but we will definitely consider this.

Gypsy13
Thank you. As a very busy in and out of the house family I don’t think that we will have time for this but we will definitely consider this.

It is a patience game. If y’all can’t find the time, I understand life gets in the way, you could always put something up to protect your doors and walls. Eventually he’ll realize you’re coming back. Probably. As a friend learned the hard way, crating doesn’t teach them anything. He tried it for three months then left for fifteen minutes to test his dog. Came home to no doorframe and chewed up door. The bottom third of the door and frame ruined. Good luck. Standard poodles are really smart.

Sh899y
What we done with ours was basically give it the run of the shed, with a hole cut in so he could enjoy the garden and have the shed to himself when we were out. He was rarely on his own for too long. Had the freedom he needed and also couldn't destroy too much. Luckily though he was always a dog who was pretty well behaved.

There'll be a potential number of factors but no right answer.

endlercollector
Poodles can be difficult to work with as they're very high energy and smart in the worst way ("why should I obey you, human?") First things first, if you can, run or bike with this dog for an hour a day. If you can't, try walking him very slowly on a treadmill for 30 min a day--slow walking is actually something that is hard for them to do, and that uses up a lot of mental energy for them.

See about getting a very sturdy crate and start gradually working on training him to stay in it. This may be easy or difficult, and I've seen a whole wide range of dogs' reactions to crate training. I've had some dogs adapt very easily and choose to nap in it and even sleep the whole night in it. I've had other dogs destroy teeth trying to force their way out. You just have to stay positive and keep trying unless he's willing to hurt himself to get out.

Have someone walk him several times a day and play with him some while you're out. I've had to hire people to do this in the past. College students are good for this sort of thing. Now, that I'm retired, I could do it, but haven't pursued that line of work. Take him to a doggy day care (he'll need extra shots, such as Bordatella, and you'll have to be sure that he's well socialized with other dogs).

Having had many rescue dogs over the years, I appreciate how many come with anxiety after not having sufficient attention and training on top of poor breeding by people trying to make some extra money. Hang in there--he'll be well worth it

KimberlyG
We did not go on vacation for 15 years because of my yorkie. We tried to have my Ex watch her for a 1 night get away and he reported that she laid crying by the service door to the garage (the door I left out of) and did not move until she heard me come in the front door the next day. We tried to have my brother watch her for a overnight wedding. Same thing. He was shocked. He had heard dogs whine but he had never heard a dog cry. He said he would have sworn there was someone softly sobbing in the foyer. She was my constant companion. She went to work with me, she was invited to every function we went to. (She was never a problem because she never left my side) It was irritating at times but now that Tehya is gone, even my husband agrees that we would gladly forgo every event or trip that did not include her if we could only have her back with us. It's bittersweet when they love you that much. I hope yours becomes more secure. Good luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• CHoffman
  • Dog
Replies
Views
bolivianbaby
  • sassymomma
  • Dog
Replies
Views
sassymomma
  • PhantomSlayer