Dog Pancreatitis and low fat foods

AJ34
Hey guys back again in need of advice in regards to low fat dog diet. My 13 year old rat terrier just had a really bad bout of pancreatitis ...Basically she had a flare up and it started healing then took a really bad turn. The vet is suggesting science diet ID low fat. Her blood work indicates she cannot process fat. This last time around I really thought we were going to lose her. She was so sick and weak. She went three days without eating. Finally they gave her a appetite stimulant in addition to the nausea meds and fluids.She is eating boiled chicken now but refuses to eat the low fat dog foods. She won't show any interest in anything but boiled chicken. I don't know if it is just too early or she's not gonna eat the stuff. I am just really frustrated with trying to find the right diet for her. We switched to a lower fat food before but apparently that was not low enough for her. Wondering if anyone has any experience with dog pancreatitis or extremely low fat diets?

mrsP
If she can't process fat, giving fatty diet might next time kill her, sorry to say. I don't have experience in dogs, but I work in hospital and I've seen humans on ward often enough after they disregarded doctor's advice about importance of diet. And if a 90kg human can get to really poor condition, I wouldn't like to put a small dog through it.

Could it be that he only likes boiled chicken because it doesn't make him feel bad afterwords? It's quite amazing how animals, humans included, often seem to naturally avoid what hurts them (if humans listen to their body).

Don't take my advaice as given as I'm not a vet or a nurse, please call your vet to ask advice.

AJ34
I agree she may be associating the food with her experience the last time around though this hasn't been the case in the past and it wasn't the same food because they hadn't yet prescribed the super low fat prescription diet yet.

I agree I think it could kill her I think it almost did this time and she was already on a lower fat diet just not the extreme
mrsP said:
If she can't process fat, giving fatty diet might next time kill her, sorry to say. I don't have experience in dogs, but I work in hospital and I've seen humans on ward often enough after they disregarded doctor's advice about importance of diet. And if a 90kg human can get to really poor condition, I wouldn't like to put a small dog through it.

Could it be that he only likes boiled chicken because it doesn't make him feel bad afterwords? It's quite amazing how animals, humans included, often seem to naturally avoid what hurts them (if humans listen to their body).

Don't take my advaice as given as I'm not a vet or a nurse, please call your vet to ask advice.
. I had never seen her like that before.

I supposed I could make her home made food if she won't eat the prescription diet I just need to figure out how to include all the nutrients without adding in fat or anything that's harmful.

mrsP
It won't take that long if you batch cook and freeze boiled chicken and perhaps really overcooked rice (gentler for tummy) and some veggies? I hope she gets better.

ValkyrieLips
I personally would try a commercial raw diet, or at least seriously research the food you are giving your dog going forward.. I would also encourage you to look at very high protein, low fat foods for your dog as treats. Low fat treats could include dehydrated chicken and turkey (for convivence), small portions of raw meats, steamed or raw veggies such as broccoli or carrots, and blueberries.

Latest threads

Top Bottom