Dog Knee Pain

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mr. Kgnao said:
I'm not actually thrilled by the self-serving, industrialized, naive-positivism of contemporary 'science'. A study, created by people who desperately want grants/tenure/advances from publishers, which shows some correlation between two incidents isn't particularly compelling. To assume causation on this basis alone would be similar to the argument that a correlation between whiteness and swanness implies all swans are white.

TucanSam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Momgoose56 said:
Rimadyl has come under closer scrutiny -in the last few years because of the potentially serious and sometimes deadly effects it can have on kidneys and the liver. In many dogs, other medications are as effective and have fewer risks. Meloxicam, and the Cox II inhibitors deracoxib and firocoxib are possible alternatives.

You are welcome! I have tons of experience with vets, both livestock and small animals unfortunately! Swimming is THE best exercise for just about everything! It will also do wonders for his back. We've taken a couple of horses to 'horse pools' for treatment of tendon injuries and strain. As far as the ACL, my niece in Colorado runs her dogs in agility competition -in the US and Europe. Her champ Australian Shepard Sophy had a devastating ACL tear during competition one year. They took her to an orthopedic surgeon, had it repaired and Sophy was back competing within a year! She was retired 18 months later (at age 9) at the top of her game and still has had no problems. She's 14 now. So get him down to his lean fighting weight, get him in good physical shape and odds are he'll do fine if he has to have surgery. Good luck and give him a kiss on his slobbery lips for me! I love American Bulldogs despite their problems...
This is misleading at best. First, rimadyl also blocks cox 2. Second, both firocoxib and meloxicam are nsaids as well. They carry similar risks, though meloxicam is much more mild in that way.

No drug is safe over a long period. That's often where side effects appear to begin with

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TucanSam said:
This is misleading at best. First, rimadyl also blocks cox 2. Second, both firocoxib and meloxicam are nsaids as well. They carry similar risks, though meloxicam is much more mild in that way.

No drug is safe over a long period. That's often where side effects appear to begin with
Exactly right. Not arguing your points. But this isn't misleading at all. Especially the fact that Rimadyl is coming under more intense scrutiny than the others because of it's more serious side effects.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like elbow dysplasia like our labrador had. It is a name given to several issues in the joint. In case.of Bliss little parts of bone were broken of and strayed through the joint damaging more.and more tissue.

We were lucky to find a vet that operated using a viewing operation (english?) sucking the boneparts up.

She walks allright most of the time but internal damage is done so now and then we have to give painkillers for some days.

I'd first ask a vet to make good X-rays to see what damage is there and if an operation will be succesful

We were just talking about Rymadil this evening cause our earlier dog, Monty had that med for years and did great on them.

Greetings Aad

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
Sounds like elbow dysplasia like our labrador had. It is a name given to several issues in the joint. In case.of Bliss little parts of bone were broken of and strayed through the joint damaging more.and more tissue.

We were lucky to find a vet that operated using a viewing operation (english?) sucking the boneparts up.

She walks allright most of the time but internal damage is done so now and then we have to give painkillers for some days.

I'd first ask a vet to make good X-rays to see what damage is there and if an operation will be succesful

We were just talking about Rymadil this evening cause our earlier dog, Monty had that med for years and did great on them.

Greetings Aad
I think the "viewing operation" you are referring to is arthroscopy? Derived from Latin "artus" meaning "joint" and "scopium" meaning "to look at or examine".

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
I think the "viewing operation" you are referring to is arthroscopy? Derived from Latin "artus" meaning "joint" and "scopium" meaning "to look at or examine".
Hahaha I knew Google translation didn't a great job in this case. Thanks for correcting / explaining.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you to everyone who took the time to advise me. I have expressed my concerns to our vet. He can take cbd along with the remadyl and we will have bloodwork done it two weeks. He only missed a dose while I had my emotional concerns, ha! I did mention his lethargy, limping and head tremors (he’s had 2 now). He admits a small percentage of dogs will show negative signs with remadyl and the liver and will be taken off if he does.
Also, I know the cbd thing is new, with little research (as are all meds in the beginning) but I’ve had first hand accounts with it helping, human and animal, many of them.
He wants to get his weight down before making any decisions on surgery etc. so we will see how it goes and probably end up doing xrays. Thanks again everyone.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WTFish? said:
Thank you to everyone who took the time to advise me. I have expressed my concerns to our vet. He can take cbd along with the remadyl and we will have bloodwork done it two weeks. He only missed a dose while I had my emotional concerns, ha! I did mention his lethargy, limping and head tremors (he’s had 2 now). He admits a small percentage of dogs will show negative signs with remadyl and the liver and will be taken off if he does.
Also, I know the cbd thing is new, with little research (as are all meds in the beginning) but I’ve had first hand accounts with it helping, human and animal, many of them.
He wants to get his weight down before making any decisions on surgery etc. so we will see how it goes and probably end up doing xrays. Thanks again everyone.
How is your dog doing now? Rimadyl and CBD helping?

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
How is your dog doing now? Rimadyl and CBD helping?
Hi! I hate to jinx things...but he’s doing soooo well!! He even tries to run on our walks but I won’t let him. Haha. Not 100%, he still likes breaks. We go tomorrow for bloodwork to see how he’s handling the remadyl. After talking to the vet, my plan is to quit that and use only cbd for awhile with the option of using the remadyl again if we go backwards. It’s just I’d like to know which one is helping him. Also if we do remadyl again, I’ll have to get it online. 2 week supply at the vet was $70...$30 for a month online. Whoa! Ohhh and we taught him to swim last weekend!! It took me three times of coaxing him with his life jacket on but once he figured out he doesn’t sink he WOULD NOT STOP! So cute, he was proud of himself!! Sorry for the ramble, you ask a question and get a book to read Thanks so much for asking.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WTFish? said:
Hi! I hate to jinx things...but he’s doing soooo well!! He even tries to run on our walks but I won’t let him. Haha. Not 100%, he still likes breaks. We go tomorrow for bloodwork to see how he’s handling the remadyl. After talking to the vet, my plan is to quit that and use only cbd for awhile with the option of using the remadyl again if we go backwards. It’s just I’d like to know which one is helping him. Also if we do remadyl again, I’ll have to get it online. 2 week supply at the vet was $70...$30 for a month online. Whoa! Ohhh and we taught him to swim last weekend!! It took me three times of coaxing him with his life jacket on but once he figured out he doesn’t sink he WOULD NOT STOP! So cute, he was proud of himself!! Sorry for the ramble, you ask a question and get a book to read Thanks so much for asking.
That is such great news! You might be able to delay surgery indefinately with that conservative PT! Are you going with Roadrunner pharmacy online? They're based in Phoenix. I use them all the time for my animals. Competitive pricing, excellent service and they test the drugs they sell. They also send a pet appropriate toy or treat with every order! Costco pharmacy also has much cheaper medication pricing.
Take a look at the picture, maybe THAT'S where your CBD oil came from! That's me hugging hemp in my mom and stepdads field in Colorado in June! Haahaa! 20190729_181152.jpg

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
That is such great news! You might be able to delay surgery indefinately with that conservative PT! Are you going with Roadrunner pharmacy online? They're based in Phoenix. I use them all the time for my animals. Competitive pricing, excellent service and they test the drugs they sell. They also send a pet appropriate toy or treat with every order! Costco pharmacy also has much cheaper medication pricing.
Take a look at the picture, maybe THAT'S where your CBD oil came from! That's me hugging hemp in my mom and stepdads field in Colorado in June! Haahaa!View attachment 579118
Haha. Love it! Such a gorgeous crop!! I ordered his cbd oil (upgrade from the treat kind) from Dogs Naturally...I was impressed with the reviews. Expensive though!! If I have to order remadyl later I wasn’t sure where to go. I’ve only heard of 1-800-petmeds, but I’ll look into the Phoenix based one! Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah I truly hope we can avoid surgery, either way he still needs to lose a few pounds. I can’t wait to see what his weight is tomorrow. I know it won’t be significant but even a few ounces less tells me I’m doing it right

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WTFish? said:
Haha. Love it! Such a gorgeous crop!! I ordered his cbd oil (upgrade from the treat kind) from Dogs Naturally...I was impressed with the reviews. Expensive though!! If I have to order remadyl later I wasn’t sure where to go. I’ve only heard of 1-800-petmeds, but I’ll look into the Phoenix based one! Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah I truly hope we can avoid surgery, either way he still needs to lose a few pounds. I can’t wait to see what his weight is tomorrow. I know it won’t be significant but even a few ounces less tells me I’m doing it right
Roadrunner is locally owned and very good service. Where in AZ are you? I live in Tucson. You can PM me if you want.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
Roadrunner is locally owned and very good service. Where in AZ are you? I live in Tucson. You can PM me if you want.
I’m in Pinetop, up near Show Low where there’s absolutely nothing. Lol
Just a couple cute pics of my baby...
9t5OX79.jpg

SnJeQyg.jpg

vorMOfO.jpg

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WTFish? said:
9t5OX79.jpg

SnJeQyg.jpg

vorMOfO.jpg
One should expect a neck-issue hahaha.

Our dog is on Rymadil since a week.as well.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WTFish? said:
9t5OX79.jpg

SnJeQyg.jpg

vorMOfO.jpg
He's so cute! And happy-except the middle picture-he looks like he's thinking "you want me to drink ALL of this???" You just wanna kiss that smooshy face!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My dog is 14 1/2 and gets meloxicam. The rimadyl caused her liver enzymes to become elevated. They are back down now she's off of it. 20170406_1004101.jpg

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
One should expect a neck-issue hahaha.

Our dog is on Rymadil since a week.as well.
Oh no, well as long as it helps. No neck issue, but he does have a herniated disc which we have managed with some very awesome over the counter stuff.
EDIT...I’m now realizing maybe you mentioned his neck because of his “bendy” photo. Lolol.

Momgoose56 said:
He's so cute! And happy-except the middle picture-he looks like he's thinking "you want me to drink ALL of this???" You just wanna kiss that smooshy face!
Thanks, he IS smooshy

Momgoose56 said:
My dog is 14 1/2 and gets meloxicam. The rimadyl caused her liver enzymes to become elevated. They are back down now she's off of it. View attachment 579150
Ohhh so sweet! 14?! That’s amazing, I truly hope I can say the same one day. So meloxicam doesn’t have the harmful stuff to the liver? Or does this depend on the dog? Curious why they don’t just use that to begin with.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WTFish? said:
Oh no, well as long as it helps. No neck issue, but he does have a herniated disc which we have managed with some very awesome over the counter stuff.
EDIT...I’m now realizing maybe you mentioned his neck because of his “bendy” photo. Lolol.

Thanks, he IS smooshy

Ohhh so sweet! 14?! That’s amazing, I truly hope I can say the same one day. So meloxicam doesn’t have the harmful stuff to the liver? Or does this depend on the dog? Curious why they don’t just use that to begin with.
Meloxicam works better for some dogs. Mazie is old and they're finding that Rimadyl can be harder on the liver and kidneys, especially in aged dogs and certain breeds of dogs, than Meloxicam.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I see. Well I’m glad you found something that works for her. She’s adorable!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm glad things are looking better He's such a cutie pie! I'm no vet, so take my words with a grain of salt.

My baby Chelsea is now 14 years old. I have been thru some issues, but I know not every symptom is the same issue, so I'll mention some things that have worked for her.

She was also limping last year. We took xrays and everything, still couldn't find a problem. She tried Metacam (Meloxicam) for a few days, but it was causing her to vomit so I had to stop it and we tried gabapentin (a nerve painkiller). She tolerated the Gabapentin but out didn't seen to help much, so I didn't renew the prescription.

I started using salmon oil in her food. Since last year, no more leg tremors, no more limping, she has lots of energy and she lost weight. She wasn't overweight before, so the weight loss was also cause for concern, but I read that salmon oil can actually decrease weight when I thought it would be the opposite.

I also like the idea of supplementing with CBD, and as long as you don't overdose, it can't hurt. Just check his food to see if it is also included.

Edit: I meant glucosamine, check to see if his food includes it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom