Dog Has Constant Ear Infections - Page 3

Elora

Member
I know I'm a bit late on the convo, but I just thought I'd say that my dads dog has the exact problems yours does. She's a lab though. She's always had nasty ear infections and she gives no sign until she has a fever. And she gets skin infections all over. What we do is use an otc ear cleaning fluid that dries it out and swab out as much yuck as we can. For her skin, we give her baking soda baths. Nothing ever gets rid of her problems permanently, but with these methods we only have to do them a couple times a year at most. And it's way cheaper than what a vet would do.
 

DestinyStars

Member
My st Bernard had chronic ear issues and the only thing that helped was to tie his ears to make them stand. We refused to dock them. But after we had them tied up he never had another problem. Just my experience.
 

Cheesewoman

Member
Ooh poor thing, I suffer from a lot of ear infections (I have retracted ear drums and sinus issues after jaw surgery), so I know how he feels
 

Lunnietic

Member
I have a 7 year old Maltese. (I do realize these are two different breeds, etc). He used to constantly get ear infections, until I realized that his bath water was the cause. I switched what I bathe him with and put cotton balls in his ears when I bathe him and the issue stopped. Maybe this might help your little one?
 

lauren42

Member
Nikki2577 said:
My dog a 3 years old dachshund has had constant ear infections his whole life and I am so tired of the vets prescribing antibiotics time and time again. I don’t see keep doing this as it can’t be good for him long term. Does anyone have any home remedies or suggestions to help ease the pain and clear the infections? Please help my poopsie

Thank you for any suggestions
Archie’s has floppy ears (beagle) and we prevent infections with apple cider vinegar. Do 50/50 vinegar and boiled water and wipe in around the ear with s cotton wool pad we also squeeze some in and rub ended his ear, leave for 3 mines and then wipe out.... no infections since I started doing this
 

ZEKE KING

Member
Had this issue with my old dog, but she ended up going effectively deaf because the ear infection had infected bone before she got on antibiotics — causing the canal to shut due to bone thickening. Made me really glad that I had taught her hand commands too. If your dog is young unlike mine, ear surgery may be an option too but the antibiotics are important in the meantime; Anyone here who has gotten an ear infection knows how much they hurt. x_x
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Elora said:
I know I'm a bit late on the convo, but I just thought I'd say that my dads dog has the exact problems yours does. She's a lab though. She's always had nasty ear infections and she gives no sign until she has a fever. And she gets skin infections all over. What we do is use an otc ear cleaning fluid that dries it out and swab out as much yuck as we can. For her skin, we give her baking soda baths. Nothing ever gets rid of her problems permanently, but with these methods we only have to do them a couple times a year at most. And it's way cheaper than what a vet would do.
Baking soda bath?? Do I just put baking soda in his bath and no soap? I would like to try this
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
DestinyStars said:
My st Bernard had chronic ear issues and the only thing that helped was to tie his ears to make them stand. We refused to dock them. But after we had them tied up he never had another problem. Just my experience.
I tried scrunchies and a cloth headband, it worked for a few minutes and he got it off
How did you tie your dogs ears up?
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Cheesewoman said:
Ooh poor thing, I suffer from a lot of ear infections (I have retracted ear drums and sinus issues after jaw surgery), so I know how he feels
I have only had one ear infection and I don’t ever want one again. It hurts so bad my poor puppy! I have been cleaning his ears twice a day with witch hazel and peroxide. He seems to be doing better
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
lauren42 said:
Archie’s has floppy ears (beagle) and we prevent infections with apple cider vinegar. Do 50/50 vinegar and boiled water and wipe in around the ear with s cotton wool pad we also squeeze some in and rub ended his ear, leave for 3 mines and then wipe out.... no infections since I started doing this
That is a hood idea I have never heard of all these suggestions! Thank you. Leo my dog says thank you too
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
ZEKE KING said:
Had this issue with my old dog, but she ended up going effectively deaf because the ear infection had infected bone before she got on antibiotics — causing the canal to shut due to bone thickening. Made me really glad that I had taught her hand commands too. If your dog is young unlike mine, ear surgery may be an option too but the antibiotics are important in the meantime; Anyone here who has gotten an ear infection knows how much they hurt. x_x
Thank you for your input I am going to try to see if the more natural things work first before I put him back on the antibiotics. So far with the suggestions he is doing better so far I am so sorry your dog went deaf. I was thinking of that because I know if it continues that deafness can be a result and I don’t want that!
 

wodesorel

Member
Nikki2577 said:
Thank you for your input I am going to try to see if the more natural things work first before I put him back on the antibiotics. So far with the suggestions he is doing better so far I am so sorry your dog went deaf. I was thinking of that because I know if it continues that deafness can be a result and I don’t want that!
Not just deafness, but also vestibular damage, and if it ever gets really bad it can outright kill them. Years ago, one of our cats seemed under the weather, and it wasn't until we picked him up to check him that we realized his eyes were literally spinning and he couldn't stand up - he'd had an ear infection that made it into his inner ear. Any longer and the infection could have passed into his brain, and his high fever could have caused brain damage as well. As it is he has permanent vestibular damage (the structures that maintain balance) which left him with a permanent head tilt and incoordination. He's okay and he does fine thankfilly, but had we caught it in time it was completely preventable. Ear infections are serious, and sometimes antibiotics are absolutely necessary.
 

FerretsLover

Member
Nikki2577 said:
Ok so I don’t know if you read above but this is the homemade food I give him now. Ground beef, ground chicken, carrots, green beans, kidney beans, sweet potatoes, green apples, 2 tbs olive oil.
No I didn't saw your recipe, probably got lost in the tons on replies and the alerts only brings me to the lasted post sorry!
The ground meat is not really good, the best is to buy whole parts cook it and then ground it at home, you need more fat and omegas for sure, so maybe at this point I'll try mixing you current recipe with some grounded hypoallergenic kibbles to switch the diet to only kibble for a couple of months, because if he still having bad reactions/otitis even with your food there is something that triggers his immune system..
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
FerretsLover said:
No I didn't saw your recipe, probably got lost in the tons on replies and the alerts only brings me to the lasted post sorry!
The ground meat is not really good, the best is to buy whole parts cook it and then ground it at home, you need more fat and omegas for sure, so maybe at this point I'll try mixing you current recipe with some grounded hypoallergenic kibbles to switch the diet to only kibble for a couple of months, because if he still having bad reactions/otitis even with your food there is something that triggers his immune system..
Ok thank you His ears seem much better with just cleaning his ears. I am doing it in the morning with witch hazel and at night with hydrogen peroxide. The drops will be here today and the powder for the food will be here Friday. So I just need to get his home made food right. Thank you for all your help
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Lunnietic said:
I have a 7 year old Maltese. (I do realize these are two different breeds, etc). He used to constantly get ear infections, until I realized that his bath water was the cause. I switched what I bathe him with and put cotton balls in his ears when I bathe him and the issue stopped. Maybe this might help your little one?
I will do this after his baths I am hoping all these suggestions will help my boy Thank you for your help
 

Elora

Member
Nikki2577 said:
Baking soda bath?? Do I just put baking soda in his bath and no soap? I would like to try this
No, you use the baking soda as a soap. Wet him down and scrub baking soda into his fur and skin, leave on for 20 min. It may help to use a rubber brush to help massage and remove dead skin. Make sure to avoid the face and ears. Oh, and make sure it's pure baking soda, not the odor eliminating stuff. It can be gross, my dads dog's skin would foam up in reaction to the baking soda, but that means it's working. After, just give him a really good rinse and he should be good to go for a bit. Like I said it doesn't get rid of it permanently, but it it's a much healthier and cheaper option to treat the skin allergies. We only have to do this to my dads dog 1-2 times a year. You may have to do it more often at first, but if you keep doing it, it should calm down and get into a cycle. Then you should only have to do it a few times like my dads dog. Hope this helps, and good luck.
 

DestinyStars

Member
We tied his ears just like you would if he was a German Shepard with stubborn floppy ears. Most vets do it but, I've found most vets don't do it right and it lasts longer if I do it myself. We get ear tape from petsmart, two plastic tubes that are about three inches long and an inch in diameter and a unsharpened pencil with the eraser and metal pulled off. We start by leaving an inch between the head and the tube (you don't put the tube into the ear because you want the ear to get air and stay dry). Stand the ear up and pull gently to the back of the head. Then just fold the ear around the tube like a taco and tape the tube and ear together so they don't slip apart. We like to put a pencil horizontaly between the ears and tape the left ear to one end and the right ear to the other end. Otherwise they end up with Yoda ears. We change the dressing once a week for about four weeks and after that they should stand forever on their own without a dressing. My family has tied every dog we have ever had like this for four generations. Standing ears are just so much cleaner for working and hunting dogs on the farm and its much more humane than docking. There are many videos on youtube of how to do it, but I will comment a photo as well to show what the end result should look like.
 

DestinyStars

Member
This is what it should look like when its properly done. I put a red line around where I usually put the pencil.
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Elora said:
No, you use the baking soda as a soap. Wet him down and scrub baking soda into his fur and skin, leave on for 20 min. It may help to use a rubber brush to help massage and remove dead skin. Make sure to avoid the face and ears. Oh, and make sure it's pure baking soda, not the odor eliminating stuff. It can be gross, my dads dog's skin would foam up in reaction to the baking soda, but that means it's working. After, just give him a really good rinse and he should be good to go for a bit. Like I said it doesn't get rid of it permanently, but it it's a much healthier and cheaper option to treat the skin allergies. We only have to do this to my dads dog 1-2 times a year. You may have to do it more often at first, but if you keep doing it, it should calm down and get into a cycle. Then you should only have to do it a few times like my dads dog. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Thank you I will try it and give updates as I try all theses thing I am sure he won’t be happy with all the things suggested but he will have to deal with them! Lol
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
DestinyStars said:
We tied his ears just like you would if he was a German Shepard with stubborn floppy ears. Most vets do it but, I've found most vets don't do it right and it lasts longer if I do it myself. We get ear tape from petsmart, two plastic tubes that are about three inches long and an inch in diameter and a unsharpened pencil with the eraser and metal pulled off. We start by leaving an inch between the head and the tube (you don't put the tube into the ear because you want the ear to get air and stay dry). Stand the ear up and pull gently to the back of the head. Then just fold the ear around the tube like a taco and tape the tube and ear together so they don't slip apart. We like to put a pencil horizontaly between the ears and tape the left ear to one end and the right ear to the other end. Otherwise they end up with Yoda ears. We change the dressing once a week for about four weeks and after that they should stand forever on their own without a dressing. My family has tied every dog we have ever had like this for four generations. Standing ears are just so much cleaner for working and hunting dogs on the farm and its much more humane than docking. There are many videos on youtube of how to do it, but I will comment a photo as well to show what the end result should look like.
This sounds good but would this method work on a dachshund? I don’t think I have ever seen one with ears that stand up?
 

DestinyStars

Member
I've had many different breeds, small, large and giant. Never had an issue with any ears standing. In fact, most breeds I've had weren't breeds who were supposed to have standing ears. Its all about reforming the cartilage in the ears to grow a different way, so breed shouldn't matter.
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
DestinyStars said:
I've had many different breeds, small, large and giant. Never had an issue with any ears standing. In fact, most breeds I've had weren't breeds who were supposed to have standing ears. Its all about reforming the cartilage in the ears to grow a different way, so breed shouldn't matter.
Ok I will try it on my boy if the other things don’t work. I am willing to try anything except cropping his ears. Thank you very much for the instructions to do this correctly
 

Cassandra Copeland

Member
I have a basset hound with constant ear problems. Lots of vet trips and prescription ear ointments. However, the best stuff I've found that actually works is Zymox. You can get it at chewy and other online pet product retailers and it doesn't require a prescription nor does it require pre-cleaning your little one's ears. It has really been a game changer when it comes to ear issues.
 

KaitKat

Member
Not sure if anyone has said this yet but change his food! He could be allergic to yeast and simply changing to a food without yeast could fix it! That’s what happened to my Lab.. he had 2 ear infections before he was 1 and we did some research (we were already cleaning his ears daily and not letting him get his head wet, so we needed to try other things), changed his food, and he hasn’t gotten one since! He’s 2 now and we changed his food on his 1st birthday - he hasn’t had one in over a year!

You have to be careful with treats too so if recommend changing his food and treats in order to see a change. Message me if you want to try this and have more questions!

@Elora I just saw your post and this might help your dads dog!
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Cassandra Copeland said:
I have a basset hound with constant ear problems. Lots of vet trips and prescription ear ointments. However, the best stuff I've found that actually works is Zymox. You can get it at chewy and other online pet product retailers and it doesn't require a prescription nor does it require pre-cleaning your little one's ears. It has really been a game changer when it comes to ear issues.
I just got it in the mail from amazon, I started treating last night He has done well today so I am hoping for the best Thank you for your input. A lot of people have said the same thing you said, so I have high hopes it works for my boy for long term.
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
KaitKat said:
Not sure if anyone has said this yet but change his food! He could be allergic to yeast and simply changing to a food without yeast could fix it! That’s what happened to my Lab.. he had 2 ear infections before he was 1 and we did some research (we were already cleaning his ears daily and not letting him get his head wet, so we needed to try other things), changed his food, and he hasn’t gotten one since! He’s 2 now and we changed his food on his 1st birthday - he hasn’t had one in over a year!

You have to be careful with treats too so if recommend changing his food and treats in order to see a change. Message me if you want to try this and have more questions!

@Elora I just saw your post and this might help your dads dog!
I have been making him home made food with just meat fruit and veggies, I changed the way I cook it but starting Saturday I am going to change it to just chicken and rice with supplements for two weeks and if not change it again. It will take awhile to find out if it has something to do with the food but I will try all kinds of combos until his skin and ears get better. I am also doing baking soda baths to see if that helps to something has to work. Lol I am also using Zymox on his ears.

Thank you for your input
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Member
DestinyStars said:
I've had many different breeds, small, large and giant. Never had an issue with any ears standing. In fact, most breeds I've had weren't breeds who were supposed to have standing ears. Its all about reforming the cartilage in the ears to grow a different way, so breed shouldn't matter.
I have 3 very long eared basset hounds and am laughing at the thought of doing this to them!!lol can you imagine how funny they would look????!!!!
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Smalltownfishfriend said:
I have 3 very long eared basset hounds and am laughing at the thought of doing this to them!!lol can you imagine how funny they would look????!!!!
That’s why I asked because he would look very weird but I guess if all else fails he will look odd and probably will be embarrassed! Lol
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Member
Nikki2577 said:
That’s why I asked because he would look very weird but I guess if all else fails he will look odd and probably will be embarrassed! Lol
Haha!! A big pill for a proud little dog to swallow!!!
 

Kathryn Crook

Member
FerretsLover said:
Oh no no! No frying pan. The cooking is too fast. And no raw either, they really lack the digestive enzyme for that if it's not prepare with the rigth supplements. Cook it in a lot of chicken or beef juice (depending the meat you use) in the oven like you will do for yourself(no spice as usual) minus the salt in the stew if you can buy this one, and look yp online for tips and tricks for home made food, you will need some complex B, calcium magnesium, omega 3 and 6, vit. E, and a couple other things so they will have a more complete diet. It's really something if tou want to cook for them, after 6 months if it's not balance they will start to show deficiencies in some vitamins and minerals... I know it's a pain, i'be been cooking for my ferrets for the past year (with close help from my exotics vets) because one of my boys is IBD. It's 3h per week but it's well worth it, and to achive the winning recipe Lord knows how many nights I spend crying searching for something for him..
Your boy look awesome and full of life, i'm sure you will win this.
Oh and only my girl sleeps with us, because she is the boss ! And well my ferrets sleeps with us too, and my boy is too big and too clumsy to be careful if there is a ferret under the blanket ahaha
They sont poop all over your bed? Mine were never potty trained. We had a house in AZ with a bricked yard and that ended up as their home. They built tunnels under the sand box to stay cool and had a covered back porch for more shade and, of course, food and water. Whenever we went in the backyard and called, they came running like little dogs. They loved their little life in the yard. But the poop...uggh.,.stinky and sticky like a dog...cuz they are protein eaters after all.
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Smalltownfishfriend said:
Haha!! A big pill for a proud little dog to swallow!!!
Especially a very stubborn boy! Lol
 

starfish09

Member
HI there,

I received some very helpful advice on this forum a few weeks ago as fish keeping is still new for me, so I want to pay it forward by offering some advice. I am a small animal veterinarian with 10+ years of clinical experience, and I have seen a ton of very chronic, very frustrating derm cases in that time. I feel your pain! I cannot offer you specific advice on treatments because I am not your vet nor can I examine your dog. But I can offer you some general information that may be helpful in understanding what’s going on so you can make a plan for your poor dog to give you both some relief!

First and foremost, given the level of frustration you must be feeling, my first suggestion would be to consider a referral to a board-certified veterinary dermatologist. You can find a specialist here: .

Now some general information on chronic ear infections. These are almost always caused by:

1. Allergies (environmental: dust mites, pollen, grasses, etc)
2. Allergies (parasites: mites, fleas)
3. Allergies (food)

The inflammation caused by these allergies predispose to secondary infection with either bacteria or yeast (or both) which further intensify the itch.

So first step is to determine what type of secondary infection is present (by cytology/culture); the drops prescribed by your veterinarian would have been intended to address these, however if the underlying inflammation related to the allergy is not addressed the infections will continue to recur because these are opportunistic infections with normal flora of the ear canal – they cannot be eliminated. Taping up ears that are inflamed and infected will be torture for your dog – don’t do it!!

Next, make sure your dog is on appropriate parasite prevention. Whether or not he currently has parasites, he has zero tolerance for any parasite burden so I don’t mess around or take any chances in these pets.

After that, determining whether food or environmental allergies are present is the next step. A visit to a dermatologist is your best bet for environmental allergy testing, and there are several different treatments that can be used on an ongoing basis to manage allergies.

The most common food allergens in dogs are beef, chicken, and dairy (Mueller, 2015). Nobody on this forum or anywhere else can make a recommendation for a diet for your specific dog since they do not know his complete diet history. If it’s a protein he’s been exposed to before, it can’t be used for an elimination trial. A commercial novel protein or hydrolyzed diet from your veterinarian is by far the most convenient and economical approach, but again no single hypoallergenic diet will work for every pet because their food allergies are not the same! A diet that did not work for someone else’s dog does not mean that it won’t work for your dog; just like eliminating tree nuts from your diet won’t help you if you’re allergic to dairy! The clinical nutritional service at Tufts University has a nice summary about food allergies here: .

If you prefer to use a homemade diet, I would highly recommend getting a recipe from a reliable source; it is not helping his skin condition if his diet is nutritionally deficient. Almost all the homemade diet recipes online and in books (including textbooks) are not complete and balanced (Stockman, 2013). Working directly with a board-certified clinical nutritionist (acvn.org) is your best option; balanceit.com is run by a clinical nutritionist if you want to be more hands-on. *Note that “nutritionist” is not a protected term – you want someone that has “DACVN” after their name. An elimination trial needs to last at least 8 weeks of strict adherence, followed by challenge. Be careful with cross contamination with other foods in your kitchen, and definitely no treats (including dental chews, rawhides, table foods, etc).

I sincerely hope this is helpful. Good luck with your dog!
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
starfish09 said:
HI there,

I received some very helpful advice on this forum a few weeks ago as fish keeping is still new for me, so I want to pay it forward by offering some advice. I am a small animal veterinarian with 10+ years of clinical experience, and I have seen a ton of very chronic, very frustrating derm cases in that time. I feel your pain! I cannot offer you specific advice on treatments because I am not your vet nor can I examine your dog. But I can offer you some general information that may be helpful in understanding what’s going on so you can make a plan for your poor dog to give you both some relief!

First and foremost, given the level of frustration you must be feeling, my first suggestion would be to consider a referral to a board-certified veterinary dermatologist. You can find a specialist here: .

Now some general information on chronic ear infections. These are almost always caused by:

1. Allergies (environmental: dust mites, pollen, grasses, etc)
2. Allergies (parasites: mites, fleas)
3. Allergies (food)

The inflammation caused by these allergies predispose to secondary infection with either bacteria or yeast (or both) which further intensify the itch.

So first step is to determine what type of secondary infection is present (by cytology/culture); the drops prescribed by your veterinarian would have been intended to address these, however if the underlying inflammation related to the allergy is not addressed the infections will continue to recur because these are opportunistic infections with normal flora of the ear canal – they cannot be eliminated. Taping up ears that are inflamed and infected will be torture for your dog – don’t do it!!

Next, make sure your dog is on appropriate parasite prevention. Whether or not he currently has parasites, he has zero tolerance for any parasite burden so I don’t mess around or take any chances in these pets.

After that, determining whether food or environmental allergies are present is the next step. A visit to a dermatologist is your best bet for environmental allergy testing, and there are several different treatments that can be used on an ongoing basis to manage allergies.

The most common food allergens in dogs are beef, chicken, and dairy (Mueller, 2015). Nobody on this forum or anywhere else can make a recommendation for a diet for your specific dog since they do not know his complete diet history. If it’s a protein he’s been exposed to before, it can’t be used for an elimination trial. A commercial novel protein or hydrolyzed diet from your veterinarian is by far the most convenient and economical approach, but again no single hypoallergenic diet will work for every pet because their food allergies are not the same! A diet that did not work for someone else’s dog does not mean that it won’t work for your dog; just like eliminating tree nuts from your diet won’t help you if you’re allergic to dairy! The clinical nutritional service at Tufts University has a nice summary about food allergies here: .

If you prefer to use a homemade diet, I would highly recommend getting a recipe from a reliable source; it is not helping his skin condition if his diet is nutritionally deficient. Almost all the homemade diet recipes online and in books (including textbooks) are not complete and balanced (Stockman, 2013). Working directly with a board-certified clinical nutritionist (acvn.org) is your best option; balanceit.com is run by a clinical nutritionist if you want to be more hands-on. *Note that “nutritionist” is not a protected term – you want someone that has “DACVN” after their name. An elimination trial needs to last at least 8 weeks of strict adherence, followed by challenge. Be careful with cross contamination with other foods in your kitchen, and definitely no treats (including dental chews, rawhides, table foods, etc).

I sincerely hope this is helpful. Good luck with your dog!
Wow thank you for all the info I had a sharpeI and she was allergic to everything from cat dander to pollen. We did all the above and what they did was put her on steroids and some antihistamines. She lived only to the age of 8 which I know isn’t young but I know if she didn’t have all these problems and no steroids she probably would have lived longer. I do understand everything you are saying is correct but the one problem is I called a dermatologist for this little guy about a month ago for his skin and they said all the testing to find out what is going on would cost around 1,100.00 at this time I don’t have those funds available Do you think anything in these posts would harm him just to try? I am getting his complete supplement powder in the mail today for his food so his diet will have all he needs in it. So you don’t think any starting point with different mixtures of home made food is a good idea?
 

FerretsLover

Member
Kathryn Crook said:
They sont poop all over your bed? Mine were never potty trained. We had a house in AZ with a bricked yard and that ended up as their home. They built tunnels under the sand box to stay cool and had a covered back porch for more shade and, of course, food and water. Whenever we went in the backyard and called, they came running like little dogs. They loved their little life in the yard. But the poop...uggh.,.stinky and sticky like a dog...cuz they are protein eaters after all.
Oh no madam! They are all trained to use the pipipads/dog tranning pads, don't know the real term in english sorry!, (4 furbabies, 2 boys 2 girls), sometimes one of my boys (Monkey aka Fatchou) wake up too late and doesn't make it, so once in a while I have a poop in the middle of the hallway ahahaha
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
FerretsLover said:
Oh no madam! They are all trained to use the pipipads/dog tranning pads, don't know the real term in english sorry!, (4 furbabies, 2 boys 2 girls), sometimes one of my boys (Monkey aka Fatchou) wake up too late and doesn't make it, so once in a while I have a poop in the middle of the hallway ahahaha
Lol my dogs have don’t that before!! Couldn’t make it down the stairs in time! Lol
 

Kathryn Crook

Member
Nikki2577 said:
Wow thank you for all the info I had a sharpeI and she was allergic to everything from cat dander to pollen. We did all the above and what they did was put her on steroids and some antihistamines. She lived only to the age of 8 which I know isn’t young but I know if she didn’t have all these problems and no steroids she probably would have lived longer. I do understand everything you are saying is correct but the one problem is I called a dermatologist for this little guy about a month ago for his skin and they said all the testing to find out what is going on would cost around 1,100.00 at this time I don’t have those funds available Do you think anything in these posts would harm him just to try? I am getting his complete supplement powder in the mail today for his food so his diet will have all he needs in it. So you don’t think any starting point with different mixtures of home made food is a good idea?
The only think I can think of, off hand, is avoid anything with wheat in it. It can cause allergies in dogs. But, I am by no means, an expert on this.

Lost of people just used cooked rice and chicken foe their dogs...pretty simple, easy to digest.
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Kathryn Crook said:
The only think I can think of, off hand, is avoid anything with wheat in it. It can cause allergies in dogs. But, I am by no means, an expert on this.

Lost of people just used cooked rice and chicken foe their dogs...pretty simple, easy to digest.
This has turned into such a hard thing to decide. So many suggestions and not really knowing what to do next.
 

Kathryn Crook

Member
Nikki2577 said:
This has turned into such a hard thing to decide. So many suggestions and not really knowing what to do next.
I recommend staying easy to start and go with the process of elimination. Clean the ears every day, try chicken and rice, take recommendations from a vet you trust...if it doesn't help in a couple months, expand from there.
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Kathryn Crook said:
I recommend staying easy to start and go with the process of elimination. Clean the ears every day, try chicken and rice, take recommendations from a vet you trust...if it doesn't help in a couple months, expand from there.
His ears seem better I was cleaning them until the Meds cam yesterday and now I treat for 7 days without cleaning his ears. Hopefully that works and Saturday I will try boiling some chicken and pull off the meat and try white rice with it and the supplement with that because I don’t want organ failure as some have stated that can happen if he doesn’t have the right nutrition. I just hope I don’t hurt him
 

Kathryn Crook

Member
Nikki2577 said:
His ears seem better I was cleaning them until the Meds cam yesterday and now I treat for 7 days without cleaning his ears. Hopefully that works and Saturday I will try boiling some chicken and pull off the meat and try white rice with it and the supplement with that because I don’t want organ failure as some have stated that can happen if he doesn’t have the right nutrition. I just hope I don’t hurt him
You wont. You are a caring mom. Some vitamins and a simple diet will do wonders! I'm sure of it!
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Kathryn Crook said:
You wont. You are a caring mom. Some vitamins and a simple diet will do wonders! I'm sure of it!
Ok I will keep you updated on his progress Thank you for your help!
 

Kathryn Crook

Member
You could boil up a big batch once a week and some cooked rice, mix it in a slow mixer, put it in single serve batches in the freezer, then just pull out a couple a day to serve...not frozen...pop in the microwave or whatever.

Or once a month, depending on your freezer space, lol
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Kathryn Crook said:
You could boil up a big batch once a week and some cooked rice, mix it in a slow mixer, put it in single serve batches in the freezer, then just pull out a couple a day to serve...not frozen...pop in the microwave or whatever.

Or once a month, depending on your freezer space, lol
Well right now I cook his food every Wednesday and Saturday, so it doesn’t go bad. I have 4 dogs I feed this to (they are all under 30 pounds except for my boy who weighs a little more) none of my other dogs have any problems. I really think a lot of his issues are from his very rough beginnings. Maybe not but I also have his brother and he is fine. I know that doesn’t mean much. I am also wondering if he sweats a lot and it bothers his skin? He is the only one with long hair. I get it cut but not shaved all off. Then I wonder if I have it shaved all off would he be to cold, I live in Maine and winters are bad.
 

Kathryn Crook

Member
Nikki2577 said:
Well right now I cook his food every Wednesday and Saturday, so it doesn’t go bad. I have 4 dogs I feed this to (they are all under 30 pounds except for my boy who weighs a little more) none of my other dogs have any problems. I really think a lot of his issues are from his very rough beginnings. Maybe not but I also have his brother and he is fine. I know that doesn’t mean much. I am also wondering if he sweats a lot and it bothers his skin? He is the only one with long hair. I get it cut but not shaved all off. Then I wonder if I have it shaved all off would he be to cold, I live in Maine and winters are bad.
Dogs don't sweat so I don't understand. He probably just has allergies.
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Kathryn Crook said:
Dogs don't sweat so I don't understand. He probably just has allergies.
Ok your right about that, he gets damp on his leg skin folds! Lol maybe that’s just from licking, I notice it in the morning when he wakes up.
 

Kathryn Crook

Member
Nikki2577 said:
Ok your right about that, he gets damp on his leg skin folds! Lol maybe that’s just from licking, I notice it in the morning when he wakes up.
Must be. Try the rice and chicken...not anything in that typically allergic for dogs. Ill be very interested if it improves.
 

Elora

Member
KaitKat said:
Not sure if anyone has said this yet but change his food! He could be allergic to yeast and simply changing to a food without yeast could fix it! That’s what happened to my Lab.. he had 2 ear infections before he was 1 and we did some research (we were already cleaning his ears daily and not letting him get his head wet, so we needed to try other things), changed his food, and he hasn’t gotten one since! He’s 2 now and we changed his food on his 1st birthday - he hasn’t had one in over a year!

You have to be careful with treats too so if recommend changing his food and treats in order to see a change. Message me if you want to try this and have more questions!

@Elora I just saw your post and this might help your dads dog!
Unfortunately he can barely afford the food he does get, so a diet change won't really work. Thanks for the suggestion though.
 
  • Thread Starter

Nikki2577

Member
Kathryn Crook said:
Must be. Try the rice and chicken...not anything in that typically allergic for dogs. Ill be very interested if it improves.
I will definitely let you know if it improves keep your fingers crossed for me!
 

Kathryn Crook

Member
Nikki2577 said:
I will definitely let you know if it improves keep your fingers crossed for me!
Always!
 

DestinyStars

Member
Smalltownfishfriend said:
I have 3 very long eared basset hounds and am laughing at the thought of doing this to them!!lol can you imagine how funny they would look????!!!!
I've done it to both of my grandpas bloodhounds and they look all sorts of wrong, but their ears used to get split from constantly shaking their head around so it was the vest thing we could do though. Lol it was hilarious!
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom