Help Dog Has Constant Ear Infections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My dog a 3 years old dachshund has had constant ear infections his whole life and I am so tired of the vets prescribing antibiotics time and time again. I don’t see keep doing this as it can’t be good for him long term. Does anyone have any home remedies or suggestions to help ease the pain and clear the infections? Please help my poopsie

Thank you for any suggestions

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My dog a 3 years old dachshund has had constant ear infections his whole life and I am so tired of the vets prescribing antibiotics time and time again. I don’t see keep doing this as it can’t be good for him long term. Does anyone have any home remedies or suggestions to help ease the pain and clear the infections? Please help my poopsie

Thank you for any suggestions
Do you clean his ears regularly? Moisture buildup can cause these problems in floppy eared dogs.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you clean his ears regularly? Moisture buildup can cause these problems in floppy eared dogs.
I do but he has the floppy ear problem and he sweats even when we have him shaved at the groomers. They clean his ears too. He was fine yesterday and today his is a disaster Any other dog that I have had that has gotten an ear infection shakes their head a little bit and gives signs, not this guy.

I think his immune system isn’t good, when we adopted him he was sent on a truck and almost died with pneumonia and dehydration He was at the animal hospital for a week but we insisted he stayed because he was so tiny and we didn’t want to risk it.

His skin is a mess and they gave him antibiotics for that too. Seems likely just hand it out like candy and don’t tell me the underlying issue.

The Aquatic Weasel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do but he has the floppy ear problem and he sweats even when we have him shaved at the groomers. They clean his ears too. He was fine yesterday and today his is a disaster Any other dog that I have had that has gotten an ear infection shakes their head a little bit and gives signs, not this guy.

I think his immune system isn’t good, when we adopted him he was sent on a truck and almost died with pneumonia and dehydration He was at the animal hospital for a week but we insisted he stayed because he was so tiny and we didn’t want to risk it.

His skin is a mess and they gave him antibiotics for that too. Seems likely just hand it out like candy and don’t tell me the underlying issue.
Yeah, antibiotics are just weakening his immune system. I have no idea of any remedies for ear infections.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Im sorry to hear that. Did the vet have any advice for you? A diet change, or more exercise...anything? If its a trully cronic problem, maybe docked ears? Idk much about that tho...

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That’s what I figured I just don’t want to keep giving it to him.
Maybe docking his ears so he gets more air is the only thing you have. I suggest asking a vet tho, god fobid, I know Im not one!

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You know I have 4 floppy eared dogs... 3 basset hound and one Springer spaniel. My basset obviously need very regular ear cleaning but the Springer is the worst by far!!! Her one ear is always yucky. I found that hydrogen peroxide clears it up for awhile but it always comes back. I talked to someone else who had a Springer Spaniel with ear problems and they actually had surgery done to put tubes in his ears. That is not something we are interested in with our Springer but maybe it would be an option for your shortie pie depending on what kind of infection he gets??

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im sorry to hear that. Did the vet have any advice for you? A diet change, or more exercise...anything? If its a trully cronic problem, maybe docked ears? Idk much about that tho...
I researched it and I don’t give him kibble or anything like that I make him home made dog food because of his skin problems. I have tried every combo I can think of except fish. He is on grain free right now to see if that works but it’s been about 2 months and his skin is no better

I can’t doc his ears, I just think it’s cruel. Maybe I will make him a headband to keep his ears back.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry I forgot to answer the first question. Yes they tell me to give him more medicine. Lol

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I researched it and I don’t give him kibble or anything like that I make him home made dog food because of his skin problems. I have tried every combo I can think of except fish. He is on grain free right now to see if that works but it’s been about 2 months and his skin is no better

I can’t doc his ears, I just think it’s cruel. Maybe I will make him a headband to keep his ears back.
Good you try any other things first, but docking is not cruel if done professionally by a vet for health issues.
Its just an idea, and tbh? Not one im terribly comfortable suggesting...rather you ask your vet about options...

FerretsLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How old is he?
What do you feed him? And what kind of antibiotics did you get from you vet?
Do you know what types of ear infections he has?
How often, what type of ear cleaning are you using, and how do you clean them?
I'm use to those types of problems, i work for veterinarians

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are they checking to make sure it is bacterial and not fungal? Both cause ear and skin infections.

Have you tried an allergy friendly diet? Sometimes food and environmental allergies can manifest as ear and skin infections.

I know in rabbits they can do an ear alteration surgery to widen the ear canal in flop-eared breeds. It allows better drainage without having to crop which can completely correct recurrent infections. Not sure if they can do this in dogs as well.

Otherwise, for recurrent problems with our cats (and me, I get them all the time, too) we've been told to use a blow dryer on low to keep the ear canal dry to prevent bacterial and fungal growth, not just after bathing but even just daily will help.

There are OTC ear washes with chlorhexidine that can help prevent issues as well. Zymox is another that is anti-biotic free, it's an enzymatic cleaner and it also helps prevent and treat infections.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good you try any other things first, but docking is not cruel if done professionally by a vet for health issues.
Its just an idea, and tbh? Not one im terribly comfortable suggesting...rather you ask your vet about options...
I didn’t even know they did it for health issues, they never suggested it. I would take it into consideration because that is probably more comfortable than having an ear infection every month or two.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How old is he?
What do you feed him? And what kind of antibiotics did you get from you vet?
Do you know what types of ear infections he has?
How often, what type of ear cleaning are you using, and how do you clean them?
I'm use to those types of problems, i work for veterinarians

I actually said he was three but I wasn’t paying attention he is 2 this past September.

I feed him right now a diet of ground beef, ground chicken all cooked, drained and rinsed, carrots, green beans, kidney beans, green apples, small amount of sweet potato and a little bit of olive oil for his coat.

They keep giving me otomax. They did give me pills once but I can’t remember what it was called.

They didn’t specify but I guess I assumed it was fungal.

I clean his ears out with which hazel and water mixture. I don’t let the mixture go into his ear canal though I use cotton balls. I usually do it once a week. I will admit I do forget some weeks

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are they checking to make sure it is bacterial and not fungal? Both cause ear and skin infections.

Have you tried an allergy friendly diet? Sometimes food and environmental allergies can manifest as ear and skin infections.

I know in rabbits they can do an ear alteration surgery to widen the ear canal in flop-eared breeds. It allows better drainage without having to crop which can completely correct recurrent infections. Not sure if they can do this in dogs as well.

Otherwise, for recurrent problems with our cats (and me, I get them all the time, too) we've been told to use a blow dryer on low to keep the ear canal dry to prevent bacterial and fungal growth, not just after bathing but even just daily will help.

There are OTC ear washes with chlorhexidine that can help prevent issues as well. Zymox is another that is anti-biotic free, it's an enzymatic cleaner and it also helps prevent and treat infections.
I tried diet but nothing seems to be working in that department so far.

I will try the blow dryer everyday on low and make sure I keep moving it because I don’t want to burn him.

I will also try the Zymox. I don’t think I have tried that before. I have tried over the counter powders and washes but they don’t seem to work.

FerretsLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually said he was three but I wasn’t paying attention he is 2 this past September.

I feed him right now a diet of ground beef, ground chicken all cooked, drained and rinsed, carrots, green beans, kidney beans, green apples, small amount of sweet potato and a little bit of olive oil for his coat.

They keep giving me otomax. They did give me pills once but I can’t remember what it was called.

They didn’t specify but I guess I assumed it was fungal.

I clean his ears out with which hazel and water mixture. I don’t let the mixture go into his ear canal though I use cotton balls. I usually do it once a week. I will admit I do forget some weeks
You should had some 'hilary's blend' to your mix, there is a lack of certain vitamins and maybe he needs more enzymes too.. forgot to ask : good or bad poops?
Otomax is like a broad medecines, ans you probably gave him clavaseptin has the pills. Bof..
I don't know where you live, that could help me find stuff non-prescribes for your puppylove!

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should had some 'hilary's blend' to your mix, there is a lack of certain vitamins and maybe he needs more enzymes too.. forgot to ask : good or bad poops?
Otomax is like a broad medecines, ans you probably gave him clavaseptin has the pills. Bof..
I don't know where you live, that could help me find stuff non-prescribes for your puppylove!
Ok I think I have seen Hillary’s blend on amazon, I will order some know. Is there a certain one I should get? I don’t know if there are different ones.

He has good poops firm but not dry. and his pee is good and doesn’t smell bad.

Yes those are the pills they gave me. That didn’t help his skin either.

I live in Maine.

FerretsLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok I think I have seen Hillary’s blend on amazon, I will order some know. Is there a certain one I should get? I don’t know if there are different ones.

He has good poops firm but not dry. and his pee is good and doesn’t smell bad.

Yes those are the pills they gave me. That didn’t help his skin either.

I live in Maine.
Limited Antigen - Just Add Meat
That would be the one that i'll try with your doggo.
I'll look up to what you have in the Maine and i'll be back!

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Limited Antigen - Just Add Meat
That would be the one that i'll try with your doggo.
I'll look up to what you have in the Maine and i'll be back!
Cooked meat right? What kind do you think is best? Chicken, beef, both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 52 66.7%

Top Bottom