Doesn't Match Any Color On The Ph Chart

newbiefishkeeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hi everyone I have a weird problem with my high range ph right now. I am currently using the API master test kit. I know that the ph of my tap water is 7.8 because I asked several petco and petsmart stores around me as well as the manager of my city's water and they all said that it was 7.8 so why is it that when I test my tank ph the color that comes up doesn't match any on the chart. I finished cycling yesterday so I did a 95 percent water change so my ph should be around there. And the only thing I have that could have possible affected my ph is some Malaysian driftwood(8 inch long piece) that I boiled for 5 hours.

tgholland

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
may be a dumb question, but are you sure you're using the correct number of drops for test?

newbiefishkeeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aquatic keeper:no I carefully rinse my tubes every time
Thhollamd: yes I use 5 drops just like it's says on the instructions

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you post a picture of your test results? Have you tried your normal ranged ph test?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Won't the camera change the color? Happened to my phone.
Computers also change color (because they aren't all set up the same way in the screen colors) but it will give us a better idea of what you are talking about to help you find a solution to your question.

beau

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It looks pretty close to 8.0 to me... Can you take a picture with the tube on the white background of the card?

The high range pH test in my first kit is super unreliable. I can test once and it'll turn a super bright purple/off the chart, or even a hot pink, but then I test again immediately after and it reads normal. Yours looks pretty normal to me though...

newbiefishkeeper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah but like I said the people I asked said the ph of the local area was 7.8 and I just did a 95 water change a day before I tested my water so it should have been closer to 7.8

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like 8.0 or 8.1, the white space in between is best place to check (i know hard to hold and see) the color by the boxes. Are you testing in tank? (taking water directly from tank?) Have you set a small amount of your water out for 24 hrs then tested it? (sometimes it shifts over time - i've read that it can be bound by materials in/of pipes and once free of it it can change). Have you also used it to test your tap water?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom