Does Your Petco Have An "adoption Tank"?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by aced it, Sep 3, 2018.

?

Does your Petco have an "adoption tank"?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I don't know

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. aced it

aced itValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +210
    Experience:
    1 year
    I went to my Petco for the first time in a very long time and was pleasantly surprised. Their fish section was huge and well maintained. All their fish were healthy and didn't seem to be too crowed. They even had some really nice-looking plants. When I was there, they had this huge tank set up with all of the fish people had returned. They were charging $1 for small fish and $5 for large fish. It was an interesting concept, and it got me wondering if it was just my Petco doing it or if it was all of them.

2. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    yup, mine does. I think they all do.

3. Smalltownfishfriend

SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Experience:
    2 years
    Mine doesn't...:(

4. Plecodreams

PlecodreamsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    My petco has an adoption tank and last time I was there there was a 6-8 inch flowerhorn in the adoption tank

5. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,204
    Experience:
    3 years
    Well In Canada we dont have Petco but ive heard Petsmart does it too! I have only seen it at Big Als my local fish store called a "Surrender Tank"

6. AlleyOH

AlleyOHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +61
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    What! I’ve never seen this at a Petco or Petsmart. Next time I’m around one I’m going to ask. Also who returns fish?

7. Suzanne2

Suzanne2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +220
    Experience:
    1 year
    My friend when the kids lost interest in the idea of having fish after a week:rolleyes:

8. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    Who hasn’t returned fish.

9. AlleyOH

AlleyOHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +61
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Huh. I’ve never heard of a thing. Guess it’s better than letting the fish float like most.

Me obviously lol

10. WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Okay, so I voted yes, but I only saw the adoption tank once, and it had puffers in it, so if it was a one time thing does it count?

11. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Experience:
    2 years
    not that i'm aware of. i've never seen one.

12. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ours does. Its always full of fish that normal aquariasts shouldn't have bought in first place.

13. FiscCyning

FiscCyningWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +157
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The one where I live now doesn’t, but where I used to live (until 2012) did have one. However, it was against policy to charge for them since they weren’t inventoried, so they were either free or given a “suggested donation” price for the Petco Foundation (the donations were really only for larger pets like reptiles, rodents, etc. though). I wish my local one would do it, since I’m sure a lot of those fish just get flushed instead. (Also, because I have the room for big goldfish so I’d love to rescue some!)

14. Ruby Metalmuffin

Ruby MetalmuffinNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    My favorite petco has a "Dump" tank for unwanted fish ..... usually fish that are more aggressive then the orginal owner understood or is too large for their tank. Currently there is a huge sail fin molly, a dwarf gourami, and a chinese algae eater in there .... beautiful fish .... bad uneducated owners .... I was there when the lady dumped the dwarf there .... told the woman he's mean to all her other gourami she explained she had a pearl, a blue, a gold, and a very small kissing .... all with this larger dwarf in the same 40 gallon tank ‍♀️ and that she also kept other fish like tetra, guppy, barbs, and danios in there..... like if she couldn't add to the frustration of the gourami.... i just let my head hang listening to this .... I really do love my pair of pearls and listening to this lady was like nails on a chalk board.... my regular petco guy and talked about it after she left and we agreed that she will remove him and the next dominant one will take over..... because her tank is over crowded with incompatible fish and all of them suffer now. Tragic.

15. OP
    OP
    aced it

Ratings:
    +210
    Experience:
    1 year
    Every time I'm in there, there's a big, aggressive fish in there. First time I saw it, there was a beautiful 8 inch Jack Dempsey, and the most recent time, there was a tiger oscar and an albino tiger oscar. They were both about ten inches. My guess is that the owner wasn't well informed and the fish just got too big or too aggressive. They charge $5 for large fish and $1 for small fish. All the "small fish" in there are platys, guppies, and mollys, so people probably surrender the livebearer fry they don't have room for.

16. kathy7878

kathy7878Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    Just started
    Mine has a couple of signs to ask staff about adopting.

17. Deku-Cory

Deku-CoryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +214
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I've never seen such a thing at my Petco. I think they just take fish and put them with everything else. But to be fair, my Petco is pretty dumpy. I can't believe I used to buy fish from there, these days I wouldn't take a fish from them if they paid me to do it, it's that level of bad. Luckily there's a much better PetSmart right down the road. Still wouldn't buy fish from them either though.

18. OP
    OP
    aced it

Ratings:
    +210
    Experience:
    1 year
    Mine is the exact opposite. I wouldn't ever buy fish from my Petsmart, but the Petco isn't too bad. My LFSs are really good, but Petco sells food and water conditioner is a lot cheaper.

19. Nobote

NoboteValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +169
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My petco has a 2 rescue tanks...one for small docile fish and a 55 for larger fish.

They ask for a donation of a dollar a fish, although the only time I did get fish from the rescue tank the guy in aquatics gave me 5 fish and wrote 4 on the ticket.

20. Joyceheatherington

JoyceheatheringtonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +75
    Experience:
    Just started
    None of them say adoption. More like what the fish names are and the price to buy them at. Yet I still say adopting them. And what I will say. When it's time for me to go adopt my fishies!