Does water conditioner spoil? Important

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by goldiegirl, Mar 22, 2010.

1. g

goldiegirl Valued Member Member

I need to do a water change tomorrow. I left my bottle of water conditioner outside accidentally, and temperatures were in the 80s last week, and the bottle was in the sun. I read one story about spoiled water conditioner that contaminated an entire tank. Do I need to go buy more, or is it still okay to use?

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

I myself would not trust it. The slightest bit of chlorine and the whole tank is gone. That's just my opinion I'm really not sure. A small bottle is cheaper than replacing a whole tank of your pets.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

I honestly don't know if the sun would change the bottle or not. I would think it would have to get very hot to have any changes but who knows. For the price of a new bottle if you are worried about it get a new one.

However the comment The slightest bit of chlorine and the whole tank is gone... is just untrue. Could it sure why not, but to say the slightest bit and everything is gone is reaching a bit. Depends mainly on the type of fish, also on the amount of new water, and other things. With adding new water to a tank chlorine isn't your biggest concern but chloramine is.

I wouldn't suggest it but I haven't used any dechlorinator in well over a year. That is my choice and I haven't lost a fish due to a water change, but I also don't keep sensitive fish so.

Brian

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

It's possible that it would go bad.
    If it were my tank, this is what I would do:
    I would smell it and pour a little bit out to make sure that nothing has changed. If it smells different, or if it comes out thinner or thicker than normal, I'd get rid of it. If not, I would probably use it and watch my fish like a hawk. Any signs of gasping for breath, and I'd drop everything and get some new stuff from the pet store.

5. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

That's why I said it's my opinion I really don't know. Thank you for informing us on the chlorine issue.

6. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Seems to me that if the stuff could go bad I would have long ago ran into problems. I live in Southern California and my garage where this stuff is sometimes kept has gotten well over 115 degrees F at times. There are test kits for chlorine and chlorimine but would be if you are in doubt it would be cheaper to throw it out.

7. Fish_Man

Fish_Man Valued Member Member

like everyone said.. if you're worried then get a new one. But one story about spoiled water condition doesn't always make it true for all types of situations.

8. OP
    OP
    g

goldiegirl Valued Member Member

Thank you, everyone! I agree that if I'm in doubt it might be better not to try it, but I was very glad to get the other responses as well, because for some people that's just not practical. I don't live close to the store, so I'm more inclined to try to use it if I can. That said, I obviously care for the health of my fish, so I'll follow Sirdarksol's advice. The story about spoiled water conditioner came from a fishkeeping question and answer website where the expert suspected that the contamination came from conditioner that had spoiled in the sun. That's why I brought it on here - to see if anyone had actually had this experience. LetDiceFly, your garage story makes me feel a little better. "When in doubt, throw it out" is the logical answer, but I'm very grateful for everyone's honesty and help with my question. I'll check it out first, do a little bit at a time and watch the fish carefully. Wish me luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice