Does Water conditioner expire in the tank if I add tap water an hour later

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
So I added the amount of water conditioner to treat the whole tanks worth, I put the first bucket of water in though I testing the temp first and it was 4 degrees (celsius) higher then the tanks temperature so I waiting half an an hour and put the second bucket in so that my goldfish would get used to the temperature in stages. Then I put the last bucket in a little over an hour later. So my question is will the initial amount of tap water conditioner treat the new bucket of water even though it’s over an hour I put the conditioner in? I did put a little conditioner in the last bucket before I poured in but not sure if that would have been Enough as I didn’t want to overdose it.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is a good question. I would like to know the answer to that as well. However, if you are using buckets, why not just dechlorinate in the bucket. That way you use less dechlorinator and you do not have to worry about this issue.

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
Sorg67 said:
That is a good question. I would like to know the answer to that as well. However, if you are using buckets, why not just dechlorinate in the bucket. That way you use less dechlorinator and you do not have to worry about this issue.
I would just treat the buckets but I’m too paranoid that I’ll over dose or under dose cause the conditioner says to treat 10ml for every 60 litres. And if I try to convert that to the 6 litre bucket it becomes such a low amount that I have nothing to measure that small and thus measure it wrong by guessing.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do not think the dosing requirements are that precise. And you effectively massively over dose the new water when you dose the entire tank volume. You could err on the over dose side and it would be no big deal.

OTOH I like to dose accurately too. I am not sure where you are, but here in the US CVS gives irrigator syringes away at the pharmacy counter for free. I got two 10 ml and two 1 ml syringes that I use for dosing plant ferts and dechlorinators.

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
Sorg67 said:
I do not think the dosing requirements are that precise. And you effectively massively over dose the new water when you dose the entire tank volume. You could err on the over dose side and it would be no big deal.

OTOH I like to dose accurately too. I am not sure where you are, but here in the US CVS gives irrigator syringes away at the pharmacy counter for free. I got two 10 ml and two 1 ml syringes that I use for dosing plant ferts and dechlorinators.
Ok so if I do put a little over it won’t hurt the fish? And yeah I may try and order the smaller syringes online as they will also come in handy for other fish med treatments. Thanks

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A Hypodermic syringe is the easy way to measure accurately the small amount of conditioner needed for a 20 litre/ 5 gallon bucket. I use this as a floating indicator that each bucket has conditioner.

According to seachem Prime takes 2 minutes to do it’s thing. Personally I would not add any new water to a bucket once the conditioner is added.

I have never added a tank full of conditioner and then added water to a tank . At $60 Australian or more a litre I can’t justify the waste of money.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Deepseadivingforanswers said:
Ok so if I do put a little over it won’t hurt the fish? And yeah I may try and order the smaller syringes online as they will also come in handy for other fish med treatments. Thanks
You are effectively going a lot over by dosing the entire tank volume so I think going a little over in the new water will be fine. I do not know what kind of water conditioner you are using, but SeaChem says you can safely dose up to 5X the recommended dosage of Prime.

I doubt a little under would be a big deal either.

API StressCoat is less concentrated so it is easier get the amount right for small quantities.

I use SeaChem Prime for very small water quantities, I put it in by the drop. Two drops per gallon. But sometimes I am off by a drop or two.

Six liters is about a gallon and a half so that would be three drops. I would guess that anywhere between two and ten would be okay.

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
Sorg67 said:
You are effectively going a lot over by dosing the entire tank volume so I think going a little over in the new water will be fine. I do not know what kind of water conditioner you are using, but SeaChem says you can safely dose up to 5X the recommended dosage of Prime.

I doubt a little under would be a big deal either.

API StressCoat is less concentrated so it is easier get the amount right for small quantities.

I use SeaChem Prime for very small water quantities, I put it in by the drop. Two drops per gallon. But sometimes I am off by a drop or two.

Six liters is about a gallon and a half so that would be three drops. I would guess that anywhere between two and ten would be okay.
I’m using aquaone water conditioner, hopefully I haven’t injured the fish then by overdosing, I’ve only just started using tap water as I’ve been using tank water for the last 10 years but am worried now I have guppies that they may get parasites from it (cause the goldfish never had an issue), so I’m basically starting afresh with using tap water. And I read online that a few people treat the whole tank then add water, but if that’s not really practical I’ll look into getting a syringe or dropper and save a bit of money

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
A Hypodermic syringe is the easy way to measure accurately the small amount of conditioner needed for a 20 litre/ 5 gallon bucket. I use this as a floating indicator that each bucket has conditioner.

According to seachem Prime takes 2 minutes to do it’s thing. Personally I would not add any new water to a bucket once the conditioner is added.

I have never added a tank full of conditioner and then added water to a tank . At $60 Australian or more a litre I can’t justify the waste of money.
I’ve just read online that a few people treat the whole tank then add the water, but I’ve only just started using tap water as opposed to tank water so am a little new to this part haha, so thanks for the help.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Deepseadivingforanswers said:
I’ve just read online that a few people treat the whole tank then add the water, but I’ve only just started using tap water as opposed to tank water so am a little new to this part haha, so thanks for the help.
I do not think you hurt anything by dosing the entire tank volume. Lots of people do it that way. There are threads on this site debating the merits of doing it that way. SeaChem recommends dechlorinating outside the tank but states that dechlorinating in the tank is okay. I dechlorinated in the tank for a while but after reading a few threads and talking to my LFS I decided that it is better to dechlorinate outside the tank.

I am not familiar with aquaone. But I think many dechlorinators use the same chemical to dechlorinate. The difference among them is the additional conditioning substances they add.

A risk of over-dosing dechlorinator is depleting oxygen. This depletion is temporary and takes huge over-dosing to deplete oxygen enough to impact the health of the fish.

Cryoraptor

Reaction score
I re-fill the tank with tap water first, then treat with water conditioner. A few seconds-few minutes max of exposure to the low levels of chloramine in tap water won't hurt the fish. I use prime so I am far too shaky to accurately measure the correct amount for a 5 gallon bucket, which is miniscule.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Prime dosage is 5 ml for 50 gallons. Half a milliliter for a 5 gallon bucket. I have a 1 ml syringe that makes it easy to measure that dosage. Or you can use a dropper, two drops per gallon. I have an old small bottle of Prime that I refill from a large bottle. The small bottle has a dropper cap.

Many people argue convincingly that short periods of low levels of chlorine or chloramine exposure will not do any harm. But my LFS advises differently and SeaChem suggests dechlorinating outside of the tank. They say dechlorinating in the tank is okay, but outside is preferred. I suspect either way is fine. Although I think putting the dechlorinator in the tank first and then adding water is better than the reverse. That is to give the dechlorinator time to distribute through the tank. I have read that dechlorinator works immediately, but it can take time to disburse completely.

But I am a new fish keeper and it seems clear to me that dechlorinating outside the tank is safer. So until I have more experience and do more research, I intend to err on the side of safety and dechlorinate outside the tank.

Since you have to dose for the entire tank volume when you dechlorinate inside the tank, if you are doing a 50% water change, you are effectively using a double dose for the new water. So if my dosage outside the tank is up to double the recommended dosage it is not really different.

I try to get the dosage right, but I do not think precision is necessary.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cryoraptor said:
I re-fill the tank with tap water first, then treat with water conditioner. A few seconds-few minutes max of exposure to the low levels of chloramine in tap water won't hurt the fish. I use prime so I am far too shaky to accurately measure the correct amount for a 5 gallon bucket, which is miniscule.
Why would you not put it in first if you do it that way?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom