Does Vacuuming Bother Fish?

  • Thread starter

EmilyandLeona

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
We are new fish owners and have a couple goldfish in a 20 gallon tank. I didn't have anything to put the tank on that could hold it's weight. So it is on our carpeted floor. Here's the silly question, when I vacuum is it going to bother our fish??
 

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,913
Reaction score
7,360
Points
598
Experience
Just started
They'll get used to it with regular maintenance. I think it'd be a bit hard to do a proper vacuum with the tank being on the floor though.
 

Madison1017

Valued Member
Messages
93
Reaction score
28
Points
28
Experience
Just started
Yes they'll get used to it, but a bit of friendly advice, goldfish need much bigger tanks than 20 gallons especially if you have more than one. 1 fancy goldfish needs at least 20+ gallons although bigger is better, and commons need huge tanks or ponds. Please do lots of research and consider upgrading them if possible
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

EmilyandLeona

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Thanks for the advice. A coworker didn't want them anymore and she had them in a 10 gallon. Thought a 20 would be better I'll have to save up to upgrade seeing as that I just bought this tank and everything for it.

Also, just to clarify .I was asking if the sound of the vacuum cleaner on the living room floor would bother them since the tank is on the floor lol. Should have worded my question better.
 

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,913
Reaction score
7,360
Points
598
Experience
Just started
EmilyandLeona said:
Also, just to clarify .I was asking if the sound of the vacuum cleaner on the living room floor would bother them since the tank is on the floor lol. Should have worded my question better.
Lol, with more context, now it makes sense. I don't think vacuuming is a big deal now and again.

As far as tank size, it's not the worst thing. Far from it. If the goldfish are smalI, I wouldn't worry about upgrading immediately. If they were stunted for a while, then even less to worry about, in my opinion. Stunting happens in nature, and it's not a bad thing. Some of the longest living goldfish were in tanks much smaller than that. There's a member here who had hers live for over 20 years in a 10 gallon. Most people can't even keep their fish alive for 6 months. Upgrading is entirely up to you, of course. I just don't believe it's an absolute necessity. You did the best you thought you could at the time.
 

Madison1017

Valued Member
Messages
93
Reaction score
28
Points
28
Experience
Just started
scarface said:
Lol, with more context, now it makes sense. I don't think vacuuming is a big deal now and again.

As far as tank size, it's not the worst thing. Far from it. If the goldfish are smalI, I wouldn't worry about upgrading immediately. If they were stunted for a while, then even less to worry about, in my opinion. Stunting happens in nature, and it's not a bad thing. Some of the longest living goldfish were in tanks much smaller than that. There's a member here who had hers live for over 20 years in a 10 gallon. Most people can't even keep their fish alive for 6 months. Upgrading is entirely up to you, of course. I just don't believe it's an absolute necessity. You did the best you thought you could at the time.
Not trying to start trouble but I politey disagree. OP certainly has already drastically improved their quality of life by giving them double the space they had before, which is great! But knowing that goldfish are apart of the carp family and have the genetics to be able to grow to be a foot big, is it not inhumane to knowingly stunt them? It would be like upgrading a dog from living 24/7 inside a metal cage to living 24/7 inside a 12x12 room. Certainly the room is better than the cage, but the room still doesn't provide a happy, good quality of life. Just because they CAN live in tiny tanks, doesn't mean they should. Surviving and thriving are very different things, and when we know better, we do better.
 

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,913
Reaction score
7,360
Points
598
Experience
Just started
Madison1017 said:
Not trying to start trouble but I politey disagree. OP certainly has already drastically improved their quality of life by giving them double the space they had before, which is great! But knowing that goldfish are apart of the carp family and have the genetics to be able to grow to be a foot big, is it not inhumane to knowingly stunt them? It would be like upgrading a dog from living 24/7 inside a metal cage to living 24/7 inside a 12x12 room. Certainly the room is better than the cage, but the room still doesn't provide a happy, good quality of life. Just because they CAN live in tiny tanks, doesn't mean they should. Surviving and thriving are very different things, and when we know better, we do better.
Size is relative. 12" is not a large fish to me. Obviously I wouldn't recommend one that size for a 20 gallon. Size, however, depends on factors other than water volume, but I won't get into specifics. I will say, though, most goldfish max out around 8-9", if they are not stunted. But again, a stunted fish doesn't mean it's unhealthy. People confuse stunted fish because of water volume to stunted because of starvation, which are two different things. Also, 20 years or more sounds like thriving to me, when most don't even live close to that long with "proper care."

Sorry, but your comparison of fish to dogs just doesn't work for me. It is not the same thing. It's not even a good comparison. It's late, so maybe I'll elaborate my thoughts more on that later, but for now I'm going to call it a night.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom