Does this website make sense?

1. sbdzx Member Member

I came upon this website.
    http://www.fish4beginners.com/beginner-species/
    Something tells me they don't really know what they're talking about, because under "beginner fish" they have tiger barbs.

What I don't get is why corys are under "fish to avoid." Does this make sense?

2. FiscCyning Member Member

Yeah... I would be very hesitant to follow any advice from that site. A quick browse raises several red flags. They follow the 1 inch per gallon rule, recommend water changes every three weeks, and say schooling fish should be in groups of 3+. I'd stick to Fishlore instead!

3. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

I've never kept tiger barbs so I can't speak to their hardiness. But I think that site is rating "beginner fish" as ones that are most likely to stand up to a cycling tank, not with respect to their community habits. Some of their advice is actually spot on in that case (avoid neons, for example). They've also got a five-week schedule for establishing a cycle, which, while it may not work 100% of the time, it is probably a pretty good fish-in cycle method. The fact that the site mentions the cycle at all makes it better than a lot of sites out there...

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Well the website has a lot words but seems to say very little of substance to me. But after looking at their betta page, I would not trust anything else they have to say. They promote the disinformation about bettas living in puddles in the wild and don't need filter, change the water every 2 weeks (in a bowl, really?). And he'd have people only feeding their poor bettas every three days :(

5. sbdzx Member Member

OK, good. Because I am a beginner and I definitely want to get corys.

You'd think if a site was purely dedicated to fishkeeping then it would have accurate information.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They're under fish to avoid while cycling, I agree with that

7. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Just remember when reading different websites and pages that there is no qualifier for people to give advice. So it's not a bad idea to take everything with a grain of salt and look for reference literature and advice from others in the hobby. That's what makes forums like this one so great, real time information from real people.

Tags: