Does this website make sense?

1. sbdzx Member Member

I came upon this website.
    http://www.fish4beginners.com/beginner-species/
    Something tells me they don't really know what they're talking about, because under "beginner fish" they have tiger barbs.

What I don't get is why corys are under "fish to avoid." Does this make sense?

2. FiscCyning Member Member

Yeah... I would be very hesitant to follow any advice from that site. A quick browse raises several red flags. They follow the 1 inch per gallon rule, recommend water changes every three weeks, and say schooling fish should be in groups of 3+. I'd stick to Fishlore instead!

3. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

I've never kept tiger barbs so I can't speak to their hardiness. But I think that site is rating "beginner fish" as ones that are most likely to stand up to a cycling tank, not with respect to their community habits. Some of their advice is actually spot on in that case (avoid neons, for example). They've also got a five-week schedule for establishing a cycle, which, while it may not work 100% of the time, it is probably a pretty good fish-in cycle method. The fact that the site mentions the cycle at all makes it better than a lot of sites out there...

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Well the website has a lot words but seems to say very little of substance to me. But after looking at their betta page, I would not trust anything else they have to say. They promote the disinformation about bettas living in puddles in the wild and don't need filter, change the water every 2 weeks (in a bowl, really?). And he'd have people only feeding their poor bettas every three days :(

5. sbdzx Member Member

OK, good. Because I am a beginner and I definitely want to get corys.

You'd think if a site was purely dedicated to fishkeeping then it would have accurate information.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They're under fish to avoid while cycling, I agree with that

7. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Just remember when reading different websites and pages that there is no qualifier for people to give advice. So it's not a bad idea to take everything with a grain of salt and look for reference literature and advice from others in the hobby. That's what makes forums like this one so great, real time information from real people.