Does This Wcmm Look Like A Normal Shape To You?

ezzephyr
Hi,
I got two new wcmm yesterday and I looked today and one of them looked a different shape to my original ones. Like the top of his body was really flat (I’m probably just over reacting!)
I fed them this morning and the odd shaped one ate a tiny bit but the other one wasn’t eating at all.
Could they just be stressed from the move?
And does this look like a normal shape to you?
The reason I’m checking is because I’m adding them into my 130l aquarium soon and I don’t want them to be ill and infect the other fish.
I picked them from a tank with no Ill looking or dead fish to try and reduce the chance of them carrying a disease but I’m sure that's not fully how it works!
(Sorry I’m always over cautious!!)

I’ve added two of my minnows into my new tank and then I will add them one by one until I have two left and then I will add them both in ( I’m doing it gradually because I’ve just finished my cycle in the new tank so I don’t want to ‘shock’ it by adding 6 fish at once

(Please excuse the algae on the plants- I clean the tank out weekly but haven’t cleaned the plants recently as the fish will soon be moving out)

Ronniethewitch
Which fish are you worried about? The one in the background looks like it's blistered (or is it the light playing tricks?) And has red gills. When was the last time you did a waterchange?

ezzephyr
It’s the one in focus at the back, I literally just got them from the pet shop yesterday and I did a 30% water change and syphon yesterday too (I always syphon but just thought I’d put that in there)
They are swimming around fine but she does have red gills and I thought she was an odd shape
I hadn't noticed any blistering but I will check again when there’s daylight- hopefully there’s not!!

I just checked again with the light on and I can’t see anything unusual- I was really looking and all I saw was that is looked shiny and slightly bumpy but that’s me looking really hard and almost trying to look for something and wcmm have a ‘shinyness’ to them (if that’s a word!) naturally- I think! Well all the ones I’ve seen do!

Ronniethewitch
Mine don't have bellies that big or bumpy and they have more colour to them, but no red gills. Can you keep it quarantined? It would suck to put a sick fish with the rest of your tank and then have lots of sick fish...

angelcraze
Looks like the dorsal is a bit bent. I hate to say it, but I would have told the store employee to put that one back...

Def a QT tank for this one in case. I actually QT all new fish as a rule. It's most likely ammonia burn from the shop and a slight deformity. Not that he can't be saved though, with clean fresh water and some TLC..
I have two deformed flame tetras in QT atm. I've had them since November /18. They are fine, just deformed. Daily water changes for the QT and make sure there is no harmful ammonia or nitrite.

ezzephyr
I have a fully cycled 5gal which I can QT her in.
She’s swimming round happily and eating which is good but definitely a different shape to the others I will upload another photo just because it has been a few days in clean cycled water
Sorry the photo isn’t great but they’re in a 130 litre and the two in the frame are the new ones I got

I read somewhere that female wcmm’s are more rounded- is that correct?

angelcraze
They both have red gills? I can't tell sex, but I think it's the dorsal you're looking at making a different shape. It's bent slightly downward. Most likely a birth defect and nothing to worry about. Both look the same to me in the belly. Is he shoaling with the others or staying isolated at all?

If you have an empty cycled 5 gallon ready, could you use that as a QT tank for them? Obviously you'd have to be diligent to keep params safe, and a few CPDs in a 5 gallon might need some extra nitrifying bacteria (say borrow media from your main tank if you get a positive ammonia or nitrite spike). It would be helpful say if they develop ich or something, you could treat them in the QT instead of contaminating the whole main tank. But since they are already in the main tank, you could take a chance and keep the main tank params perfect. Lots of water changes for a bit and keep a close eye on all the fish. I personally keep new fish in QT, it's less to keep an eye on and easier to treat a problem, easier to daily WCs and so on. But sometimes it can be difficult to balance two tanks and they already have been in the main tank. There's my take, the decision is yours to make

Ronniethewitch
I don't know how to tell the difference between the sexes, really. I used to think they were mating cuz they did a little swim in twos with their fins all on display but turns out that's males being aggressive, asserting dominance. Have since seen the mating and it's manic twisting around each other all over the tank, with everybody else following trying to eat up all the eggs.

When I had one grow excessively big in its belly it was from overfeeding bloodworms and she was constipated-not pregnant. Left the fish unfed for a day then fed them peas (makes them poop) and she/it went down to normal size.

The red gills you have are worrying. So is their lack of colour. Mine are really electric blue with red on the tails- very bright. I really think these ones need pristine fresh (treated) water for awhile.

ezzephyr
Right, so I’m going to keep them in the tank (I will obviously still keep the QT and any new fish I get will go in there first) and if any problems occur I will Medicate them as they have already been in with the rest of the fish.
I’m sure the red gills are to do with the ammonia from the shop so I will keep the water pristine and water change often.
From the worrying about their colour thing they are golden white clouds so naturally aren’t the blueish colour- sorry I forgot to mention they were the golden ones but are a little paler than my healthy ones but since I got them one of them is definitely re gaining colour- luckily!!
Thanks all for your help

Ronniethewitch
Hey! Welcome to fishlore!

ezzephyr
Thankyou!

Top Bottom