Does This Stocking Work?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by July, Jul 21, 2017.

1. July

JulyValued MemberMember

2 Kribs
    7-8 Sterbai Cories
    10 Cardinal Tetras

With possibly...
    2-3 Mystery Snails
    2-3 Platys (the ones at my LFS are stunning)

Would this work in a 36 gallon tank? I want to double check before I go to the LFS, which will be rather soon. I have sufficient caves for the Kribs, so that wont be a problem. Thanks!

2. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

sounds good!

3. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

Sounds good to me, too!

4. OP
    OP
    July

JulyValued MemberMember

Okay, thanks! I'm going to the LFS in about an hour. Depending on what they have, I'll be getting a pair of kribs OR an Angel. Would this stocking also work if the Kribs were switched out for a Angel? Just want to double check

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Yes, an angel would work instead. I wouldn't add platies though - they're more cooler water fish than the other fish.

Watch for aggression from the kribs towards the cories - kribs can be very aggressive when breeding, and cories can't defend themselves.

6. sweendog87

sweendog87Valued MemberMember

See if you can get 2 male kribs females tend to be more aggressive ans if they breed your cories are gonners

7. TexasDomer

Males can also very easily fight, especially in this small of a tank. I wouldn't do it - I would expect that with two males in this tank, one will bully or kill the other.

8. OP
    OP
    July

JulyValued MemberMember

So, I didn't get any kribs when I went, as they didn't have any this time. I got:
    10 Rummynose
    2 more Sterbai cories (to make a school of 7)
    2 Platys

I'm planning on going back for the centerpiece fish in about two weeks. Should I just stick with one Krib, or would having two females work? I don't want to endanger my cories with breeding kribs.

9. TexasDomer

Female kribs can be aggressive to each other as well. A single might work out, though I'm not a fan of keeping dwarf cichlids singly. What about a pair of GBR? Less aggressive than kribs and temp compatible with rummynose and sterbai.

What temp do you keep the tank?

10. OP
    OP
    July

JulyValued MemberMember

Okay, so a pair probably wouldn't be an option. Why aren't you a fan of keeping dwarf cichlids singly?
    As for the GBR... I'm not sure. I think they are wonderful fish, but they seem a tad too sensitive for me. I'll have to ask my LFS where they get their GBR, but I don't think I would get one of those. Any other cichlids that you would suggest with my stocking?

I keep it at about 78.

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I think you would be fine keeping the krib singly.

12. TexasDomer

Just because you won't see a lot of their natural behaviors and colorations if they're kept singly. Many are social fish, as well, and bond with a mate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice