Does This Stocking Sound Suitable?

1. Briana Clifford Initiate Member

Hiya, I'm thinking of buying a 130L (34 gallons) Aqua One 620T tank (tall).

Would I be able to stock it with:
    • 8 neon tetra
    • 8 black widow tetra
    • 8 penguin tetra
    • (and possibly) 3 albino corycats
    I've heard that black widow tetras can be aggressive so I'm not sure whether to purchase them. I hate it when my fishies don't get along :(

I know that the tetras are all schooling fish and need at least 5-6, but I like how they look in groups of 8 personally. Not sure whether the albino corycats would be pushing the stocking a bit too much? Think my combinations should be okay though because neon tetras hang around the middle to bottom, corycats are bottom feeders and apparently black widow tetras hang around the middle to top and penguin tetras hang around the top? Covers all the stratas well so they might not get in each other's way too much. I love kuhli loaches too, but I already have the corycats and having both would definitely be pushing it and the footprint of the tank isn't very large.

Any second opinions? Maybe suggestions? I do have a lot of tetras going on in there, any suggestions as to maybe different fish you like better that you'd rather put in there? I've had bad experiences with gouramis in the past... but maybe I could just get like one neon dwarf or something?
  2. munne16 Initiate Member

I think you should start with the corys first and let them acclimate to the tank. A thirty gal is a perfect size for a few corys. I have two in my ten gallon, and they do just fine, but i do water changes every week or so. Also, add the non aggressive fish second and let then acclimate and gain territory. Once they are established and happy, add the aggressive school, but try to get the aggressive ones when they are young because the younger they are, the more likely they will get along with their tankmates because they are used to them. :) I hope this helps

3. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

IMO to many schooling fish.

I would do something like this

8 Neon Tetras
    8 Black Phantom Tetra (similar to the widow but less aggressive)
    1-2 Bolivian Ram (male/female)
    6 cold water Corys
  4. Briana Clifford Initiate Member

Thanks so much :) I already have 3 male guppies, 3 albino corycats and 8 neon tetras in 70L/18gallon tank at the moment. I really love my cories haha

Okay thank you :)

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Try upping the corys , they like to be in groups of 6+ , it would really bring out their personalities alot more and be more active.

6. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would stick with only two middle schooling fish in a 34 gallon, and you could then do cory cats which you will need a group of at least 6.
  7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

agreed especially in a 34 g tall that is only 24" lenght wise.
  8. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

lol I really should read the new posts before I hit the post button since you posted basically what I wrote just more specific. ;)

9. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

oh it doesn't matter , the more the merrier. The more people post the same opinion the more the OP gets the point.
  10. MommaLake Well Known Member Member

Well, I agree with you all too. two larger schools is better than 3 smaller. And more cories. I also like the Bolivian ram... so yeah, what they said