Does This Sound Like A Solid Plan?

sooshee
Longtime lurker here, first time poster, glad to be here

Bought a used 55 gallon tank from Craigslist which included canister filter, heater, substrate and decor for $100.

There was a 2 day gap from when he emptied out the tank up to the point where I was able to set the tank up at my house. The canister filter still had the bio media but the sponge fine/coarse filters were replaced with new ones.

I did not use the substrate included with the craigslist deal but I did use the rocks and fake plants, along with the canister filter and media.

Dechlorinated the water 4 days ago, and waited 24 hours. Started fish-in cycle with Tetra Safestart (8oz) + Fritz Zyme Live Bacteria with 1 Opaline Gourami + 1 Black Sailfin Molly.

29177662_10214484971145538_7082560388620877824_o.jpg

As of now it's been cycling for 3 days. These are the water results from now (day 3)
Looks like
0.25 Ammonia
0.25 Nitrite
10 Nitrate

29216474_10214484971305542_1162523290544111616_n.jpg

Now this is where I need some advice

1) The craigslist deal came with a SunSun 304B (525gph). It's working fine but it's LOUD. The tank is in my bedroom in the corner and I covered it with a comforter and I can still hear it. I shook it and even replaced the impeller and the sound doesn't go away. Anyways I can't deal with the sound so I ordered an EHEIM 2217 canister filter which is being delivered this Thursday and that's what I am going to use for the tank.

My question is how should I set up the canister? Do I wait until the tank is cycled and move the biomedia from the SunSun to the Eheim? Do I run them both until it's cycled then just remove the SunSun or do I just disconnect the SunSun now and connect the Eheim and wait for that to cycle?

2) My second question is regarding stocking. I want a tank with fewer, but relatively bigger fish (4-6 inches). Right now I have

1 Opaline Gourami
1 Black Sailfin Molly

I have in mind adding

1 Angelfish
1 Red Fin (Rainbow) Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 (Male) Swordtail fish

Does anyone see any potential issues with this stock?says this is 80% stocked. Ideally I'd like 1-2 more similar sized fish or a school of smaller fish.

What do you guys think?

r5n8xaw00
Welcome to fishlore,
I wished I could answer your questions, but I am new to this myself. I have no experience with canister filters.
So I will leave it up to the more experienced people here to help you.

Lunnietic
Unsure if I should say welcome or not.

Would you mond telling me what your tap water parameters read? If it were me as soon as the new canister filter came in I would bring the media from the cycling one into the new one...but I don't have much experience with anything other than HOB filters.

The gourami, shark, and the angelfish can all be semi-aggressive. Meaning they may not along.

Bristlenose plecos I do not think will temperature match with everything else in the tank. Angelfish and Gouramis are tropical fish that like water close to 78-80 degrees.

BN plecos max out at 77 degrees.

Neutral-Waterinos

Bought a used 55 gallon tank from Craigslist which included canister filter, heater, substrate and decor for $100.

There was a 2 day gap from when he emptied out the tank up to the point where I was able to set the tank up at my house. The canister filter still had the bio media but the sponge fine/coarse filters were replaced with new ones.

I did not use the substrate included with the craigslist deal but I did use the rocks and fake plants, along with the canister filter and media.

Dechlorinated the water 4 days ago, and waited 24 hours. Started fish-in cycle with Tetra Safestart (8oz) + Fritz Zyme Live Bacteria with 1 Opaline Gourami + 1 Black Sailfin Molly.

View attachment 418808

As of now it's been cycling for 3 days. These are the water results from now (day 3)
Looks like
0.25 Ammonia
0.25 Nitrite
10 Nitrate
View attachment 418809

1) The craigslist deal came with a SunSun 304B (525gph). It's working fine but it's LOUD. The tank is in my bedroom in the corner and I covered it with a comforter and I can still hear it. I shook it and even replaced the impeller and the sound doesn't go away. Anyways I can't deal with the sound so I ordered an EHEIM 2217 canister filter which is being delivered this Thursday and that's what I am going to use for the tank.

My question is how should I set up the canister? Do I wait until the tank is cycled and move the biomedia from the SunSun to the Eheim? Do I run them both until it's cycled then just remove the SunSun or do I just disconnect the SunSun now and connect the Eheim and wait for that to cycle?

2) My second question is regarding stocking. I want a tank with fewer, but relatively bigger fish (4-6 inches). Right now I have

1 Opaline Gourami
1 Black Sailfin Molly

I have in mind adding

1 Angelfish
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 (Male) Swordtail fish

Does anyone see any potential issues with this stock?says this is 80% stocked. Ideally I'd like 1-2 more similar sized fish or a school of smaller fish.

What do you guys think?

Welcome to fishlore! : )

MoonsCow
If the bacteria was dead before you started running the Sunsun I would just swap it out, or if it wasn’t I would use some of the old media to seed the new one. I know that you have some ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates but not sure if that same from some of the old aquarium water but sounds like the B.B. in the old filter is dead?
Also as a note the bottom port of the Eheim filter is for the intake and the top one is for the output.(set one up for a tank that I’m currently cycling and ended up hooking it up backwards at first. Wasn’t sure which way the pump was directed lol.)

Eric360
What sort of media did the old sun sun come with? From all my research over the past 5 years, I would buy enough Seachem Matrix (or just buy some pumice, but you might need to sort it and clean it more than Matrix) to fill every tray but one, then put course/medium/fine pads in the one. I have a Sunsun 404B ($90), and it is silent, I'd have recommended to just buy a new SunSun they're so much less expensive, the used one you bought could have just been bad. I'm not sure how the Eheim flow direction is, but if it is bottom to top, you'll want to put the tray with course/medium/fine in the very bottom and then the rest of the trays with Matrix or whatever biomedia you can afford above that. If you started the tank with the old Sunsun and tetra safe start, I would think you could just switch the Eheim in and get rid of the Sunsun and then just do another tetra safe start dose with the Eheim (or maybe an extra dose to make sure it gets seeded faster). I'd definitely recommend the Matrix method. That's how I have mine set up and it's doing fantastic. The Sunsun 404B has 4 trays so I have the bottom tray with course/medium/fine (bottom to top) and all 3 other trays filled to the top with Matrix.
(4L container of Matrix is about $35 and filled 2 trays in my Sunsun)

CanadianJoeh
It seems as though you may be having a sort-of instant cycle because of the old bio-media.

A test of your tap water will help.

Make sure to dose (double or triple) with Prime daily, wouldn't want your fish not to make it!

TexasDomer could perhaps help you with the stock if they have time!

sooshee
countryrain Neutral-Waterinos thanks!

Lunnietic I'll have tap water parameters tonight after work

As far as the fish, I read/heard that putting semI aggressive fish together are fine as long as there's plenty of hiding spaces and the fish are similar size to each other ?

MoonsCow it had the blue and white flat sponge filters, along with the circle biomedia with the holes in the middle

CanadianJoeh ill have tap water results tonight

Appreciate all the responses

sooshee
Tested both tap and tank water tonight (Day 4)

Here are the results for tank water

> 7.6 pH ?
0.25 Ammonia
0.50 Nitrite
5.0 Nitrate

29217043_10214493877488191_9216129742741176320_n.jpg

Here are the results for tap water (Los Angeles)
7.6 pH
1.0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
0 Nitrate

29249822_10214493877408189_5916729672611135488_n.jpg

Also update on the SunSun 304 Canister Filter noise. I opened again and noticed that the piece of rubber on the end of the impeller broke off the impeller and is stuck on the notch inside the filter. I removed it and put in a brand new impeller and wa-lah, no more noise. Canceling my order of the Eheim 2217 and sticking with the SunSun until further notice.

CanadianJoeh
Ah, I see. It seems as though you'll have to find a new water source, unfortunately....

Or you can buy an RODI kit, there are fairly inexpensive ones online and it's worth it in the long run!

sooshee
Ah, I see. It seems as though you'll have to find a new water source, unfortunately....

Or you can buy an RODI kit, there are fairly inexpensive ones online and it's worth it in the long run!

Wouldnt Seachem Prime bring the ammonia down?

Lunnietic
Might want to do the test for the high pH too.

CanadianJoeh
Wouldnt Seachem Prime bring the ammonia down?
Seachem Prime doesn't actually remove ammonia, it only "binds" it into a non-toxic ammonia-solution that is not harmful to fish, for 24-48 hours.

Maybe if you got an ammonia REMOVER you could leave it sit for a few days and test your water, and if your water had no ammonia then you're good.

Eric360
I found this from a google search about ammonia in tap water (because that doesn't sound safe for YOU either). Looks like there can be ammonium whih isn't harmful but can give a false reading of ammonia.

Attachments

• 1521119945902.jpg
    1521119945902.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 75
TexasDomer
Not all semi-aggressive fish get along together.

Do you mean a red tailed shark or a rainbow shark?

I actually think that stock might be fine. It won't really fill the tank and it'll look inharmonious, but they could likely all get along. You don't have much wiggle room for temp though - 76 -77 F is where I'd keep it.

sooshee
I found this from a google search about ammonia in tap water (because that doesn't sound safe for YOU either). Looks like there can be ammonium whih isn't harmful but can give a false reading of ammonia.

Hmm thanks, gotta do more research for confirmation if that is the case in my area

Not all semi-aggressive fish get along together.

Do you mean a red tailed shark or a rainbow shark?

I actually think that stock might be fine. It won't really fill the tank and it'll look inharmonious, but they could likely all get along. You don't have much wiggle room for temp though - 76 -77 F is where I'd keep it.

As per aqadvisor it says 80%, any more room for a colorful and active schooling fish 6-8x ? Big enough to not be eaten by the bigger fish but not fin nippers

TexasDomer
As per aqadvisor it says 80%, any more room for a colorful and active schooling fish 6-8x ? Big enough to not be eaten by the bigger fish but not fin nippers

Aqadvisor isn't accurate - I wouldn't listen to their stocking percentages at all. They're a made up number.

You do have room for a schooling fish though. What kind were you thinking?

sooshee
Aqadvisor isn't accurate - I wouldn't listen to their stocking percentages at all. They're a made up number.

You do have room for a schooling fish though. What kind were you thinking?

Anything colorful in numbers of around 8 that won't cause any issues with the stock

I was looking at bleeding heart tetras since cardinal/neon tetras seem to be too small and will get eaten by the bigger fish (based on some online research and websites)

TexasDomer
Eight bleeding heart tetra should be fine!

Discus-Tang

View attachment 418808

Looks like
0.25 Ammonia
0.25 Nitrite
10 Nitrate
View attachment 418809

1 Opaline Gourami
1 Black Sailfin Molly

I have in mind adding

1 Angelfish
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 (Male) Swordtail fish

What do you guys think?
80 per cent is fully stocked, it leaves room for human error.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TwoHedWlf
Replies
Views
Arcana
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views