Does this sound like a parasite?

1. effyx Initiate Member

image.png Hi all, first off apologies if this sort of question is now allowed - this is my first post.

I have just bought some neon tetras for new my tank (it's been properly cycled and tested) and I have noticed that one has a white stringy looking thing in a hook shape coming from just underneath its head. It was there when I got it but I was concerned that it may be a parasite that it got in the shop. So does this sound like a parasite or some damage?

2. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Looks like an anchor worm to me,
    Is he rubbing his body on things (scratching)?

http://freshwater-aquarium-passion.blogspot.com/2010/11/treatment-for-anchor-worms.html

The bad news is that anchor worm is multiplied byeggs, so you have to apply the treatment in the entire aquarium, which, with this occasion, will become decycled.
    Besides treatment, you can pull the parasite with the tweezers through a fast moving. But before use an anesthetic, such as clove oil. Then, use a disinfectant, because after this operation, the fish remains with an open wound for a while.

3. effyx Initiate Member

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it :) It certainly looks like an anchor worm (although I've never seen one in real life) however it's not scratching at all and seems to be behaving normally. I might leave it for tonight because I'm sure the fish is stressed out from the move to the tank and I don't want to stress it out further. Do you know if these anchor worms are deadly to the fish?

4. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure that this parasite keeps reproducing and feeding off of the hosts blood. So yes it will eventually kill the fish and I would treat it ASAP
    Also, it will start spreading if not treated