30 Gallon Tank Does this setup sound good?

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey all!

So the MTS bug has bit and I'm thinking of starting a second tank. ;D

None of the components have been bought so it's still in the planning stage, but I want to get everything planned out before I even start getting everything together and cycling the tank.

So to get to the question, it's a 30galUS, and I'm thinking of a tetra only setup.
I am thinking 7 penguin tetras,7 glowilight tetras and 7 lemon/x-ray/bloodfin tetras (it depends on what the LFS has when i get around to adding them).

I did an estimate on AqAdvisor, and it gives me a 75% stock level, so some decent leeway there. Does that sound about right?

Also, 2 questions about the penguin tetra's. Googling them brings up max size measures from 4cm (1.5 inches) all the way to 8cm (3.15 inches) which is a lot of variability, anyone know what size is more genuine? The other question is that AqAdvisor mentions them as too aggressive for the glow-lights, but by all accounts they are peaceful in community tanks, does anyone think they will be a problem?

Thanks to everyone in advance of response

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your stocking list looks fine to me. You could even bring it up to 10 of each of those Tetras without any great problem. Penguin Tetras grow to at least 2 1/2" IME. They should be fine with the Glowlights & Lemons. I used to keep them with Lemons & Rummynoses & never saw any aggression at all.

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Nutter for the Info on the penguins and the stocking advice, 10 of each sounds like a great arrangement that I would be very happy with

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not near me no, but about an hours drive away is a a very expensive fish store that stocks cardinals, as well as bloodfins, black neons and a few colour varieties of what i think are a kind of emperor tetra, all of which ive never seen anywhere else in my fish store meanderings. I had forgotten about cardinals actually, think they will have to go in the pool to be one of the 3 species chosen.

angeliccreature

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ive had fish all my life and lov to breed them but i too have ?s so dont worry your not alone im thinking of breeding fish as a job good luck to u

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ressurecting an old thread instead of posting a new one;

I found a place that sells Julii/false Julii (haven't seen them yet, the place is an importer and has an availability list with no pictures) and I love cories...

so my stocking ideas have changed and I have two options that I'd like advice on:

Option 1: 8-10 Julii/false Julii cories, 10 Glowlight Tetras and 10 of another tetra school (lemons are the most likely, or penguins or glass bloodfins etc). the substrate will be pool sand to accomodate the cories 100%

Option 2: I have 2 peppered cories in my current tank, and plan on getting 2 more once the LFS gets stock again. Now, a couple of months ago, one got nipped on the tail by a Danio and lost all its barbels over the next week presumably from shock. The other one still has full barbels, but i didnt see any re-growth on the nipped one, so i decided to change substrate to a cool looking black sand as i thought it might be that my gravel was too sharp to allow it time to grow them back. I did this over a month, and it has been in completely for 2 weeks now. however, i still think its a bit sharp, but have had no degeneration on the healthy cory. am still watching for re-growth on the other. Considering the fact that the Danio's have proven themselves to be 'difficult' tank mates, and if re-growth doesnt occur, the other option i thought was to move the peppers into the new tank making it; 4 peppered, 4 (false)Julii, 10 glowlights and 10 'other' tetra.

a variation to that stock was; 5 peppered, 5 (false)julii, 8 glowlights and 8 'other' tetra.

any ideas and thoughts? thanks In advance everyone

EDIT: had a 2nd think through the Option 2 ideas, and they might be quite close to if not overstocked, so an amendment and another idea would be 6 peppered cories, 6 (false) julii cories, and 1 shoal of smaller fish, about 12 in total. i could go more, even get 15, and it would still be a much better option than the others from option 2 above i think. then it would be better to get a really attractive shoal as a center piece, and not neccessarily a tetra but anything similar size (5ish cm) that shoals and is peaceful in nature...again any suggestions are extremely welcome

Last edited:

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Stocking options

I tried to ressurect my old thread, but it sank back down without any responses

so for my 30g (up and running, not cycling yet, still testing out the filter, heater etc.) i have narrowed down two options and am looking for advice on which would be better. (naturally the tank will be cycled before any of the move's and stocking happens )

Option 1: Move the 2 peppered cories from my 20g, and build their numbers upto 6. eventually add another 6 C. trilineatus or C.sterbai or C.leopardus (depends on what is available at the time) and then round off with a school of harlequin rasbora's (somewhere in the region of 10-14).

Option 2: Move the 2 peppered cories as well, but build up to 8 of them. then the harlequins (10 of) and potentially another school of fish (Neon tetra's would be the candidate here, 10 of as well).

Would love to get thoughts on this, am a bit stumped right now as to which one to pick. I think it will come down to which option is better for all the fish concerned (stocking capacity and group numbers wise), but i'd appreciate any feedback on which option you all think that might be. also if either of the two look overstocked by all means let me know and augment, I dont think either of them are too close to capacity, but that could just be my opinion.

thanking all in advance of any responses

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bumped up your original thread so you can continue the ongoing dialogue there.

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so for my 30g (up and running, not cycling yet, still testing out the filter, heater etc.) i have narrowed down two options and am looking for advice on which would be better. (naturally the tank will be cycled before any of the move's and stocking happens )

Option 1: Move the 2 peppered cories from my 20g, and build their numbers upto 6. eventually add another 6 C. trilineatus or C.sterbai or C.leopardus (depends on what is available at the time) and then round off with a school of harlequin rasbora's (somewhere in the region of 10-14).

Option 2: Move the 2 peppered cories as well, but build up to 8 of them. then the harlequins (10 of) and potentially another school of fish (neon tetra's would be the candidate here, 10 of as well).

Would love to get thoughts on this, am a bit stumped right now as to which one to pick. I think it will come down to which option is better for all the fish concerned (stocking capacity and group numbers wise), but i'd appreciate any feedback on which option you all think that might be. also if either of the two look overstocked by all means let me know and augment, I dont think either of them are too close to capacity, but that could just be my opinion.

thanking all in advance of any responses (and LyndaB for the bump )

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd go with option 2. Different kinds of corys usually won't school so I think it'd be more fun to watch and a bit better for the fish to do the big group of peppereds. I think there'd be too many bottomdwellers in option 1.

You could easily do the rasboras and a school of another similar size fish. Flame tetras would look great but I don't know if you can get them.

-Lisa

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thanks Lisa, all i needed was a nudge in either direction. option 2 it is. Hopefully i can get some nice schooling behavioural from the bigger group of peppered cories. Sadly, i've never seen a flame tetra except on the net, so its highly unlikely ill find any to act as the second school. not sure what to go with to be honest, I will probably build up the cories and harlequins and then sit for a few months humming over what to get until something finally pushes its way to the front of my mind.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom