does this setup sound cool? feedback please :)

zoecee

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
6 black skirt tetra
1 german blue ram
1 panda dwarf cichlid
1 bristlenose pleco
1 macmaster dwarf cichlid
1 rio negro dwarf cichlid
1 golden dwarf cichlid

Does this sound okay for a 30 gallon tank, or should i take some fish out. This site said that it was okay.

sorry lol its a bit long

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 30 gallon tank, IMO you'll need to cut that list down to only one species of dwarf cichlid. While dwarf cichlids are generally peaceful toward other fish, they do need a certain amount of space to claim a territory. There is just not enough room in a 30 gallon to keep multiple species of dwarf cichlids IMO.

If you can narrow down your list to your favorite dwarf cichlid, you can keep a pair in your 30 gallon, or possibly a trio depending on what species you pick. Then, go with a school of cories or one bristlenose pleco for your other bottom dwellers. Your dwarf cichlids will stay mostly in the bottom 1/3 of the tank, so it's important to not overcrowd with too many bottom dwellers. For your mid-upper level swimmers, you could add a nice school of tetras, maybe something like lemon, green fire, cardinal, flame/von rio, red phantom, etc. Any of those tetras would make an active, colorful addition to the top half of the tank. You could easily keep a school of 10 tetras, provided they are smaller species like the ones I mentioned. At that point, the tank would be stocked pretty comfortably for the fish, so I'd stop there.

Just a thought.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Before using stocking tool, please read this information:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent advice from Harpua & Lucy. You would find the Dwarf cichlids would get quite aggressive with each other because they would be constantly squabbling over territory. Usually males don't like each other very much regardless of territory or exact species. Males see each other as competition for mates & will fight over that as well as territory, even if there are no females present.

AqAdvisor is a fun tool to play with but nothing more than that. I treat results fromwith great suspicion as there are simply way too many variables for any program to ever take into account. Even the designer says not to rely onthe results because there are various bugs & descrepencies in the program. Nothing beats doing actual research on the fish you are interested in keeping & asking questions on forums such as this one.

zoecee

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks for all the replies i found out that my tank is a 45 gallon, so i now have a new stocking list. you can see it on my other thread thanks

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads