Does This Seem Alright?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Iluvfishies, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Iluvfishies

IluvfishiesValued MemberMember

Finally upgraded to my 55 gallon last night from a 29 gallon tall. I used all the water from my 29 and the rest fresh water with stuff to purify it, also added stress Zyme. Have my fluval 406 canister filter running with a 200 watt heater keeping the tank at 80 for my Oscar and 2 jewel cichlids. Also an 18inch airdrome and a fluval ECO 36-48 led light on top. My questions are :
    1-Will the cloudiness go away after a little bit?
    2- I’ve never really used lighting in my aquariums, how often should I run the light? It has a blue light option and regular led light. (Trying to avoid algae)
    3-Does anyone recommend anything else I should do? It’s been set up since last night.

PS: I plan on adding a decent sized price of driftwood when I can find one. Thankyou! Here are some pictures! :) Let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

1. If it is a bacteria bloom (which is very common in new aquariums), it should go away within 1-2 weeks.
    2. 6-8 hours a day

3. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Thankyou very much :) any suggestions or anything else? :)

4. FishFish221

Another thing is that the Oscar may grow too large for your aquarium, because they grow to around 12-14 inches (11 in you are lucky), and can be quite active swimmers.

5. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

Oh I know :) this is only for a time being :) going to put it in a 75 down the road :)

Oh! I forgot to ask! You have any suggestion if I can put any algae helpers? Like bottom feeders??? Safe with the Oscar ? Snails? Bristlenose? Etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  6. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

The bloom is there because of the tank being so much bigger than the 29. It's like when you move from a tiny apartment that is 800 sq feet to a house that is 3200 sq feet. You will notice that it will be quite empty but over time you'll acquire more stuff (for you it looks like tanks) to make up for the space. This is essentially what your tank is doing. Going from a 29 to 55 is a lot of stuff to cover, hence the milky white water.

Keep an eye on it so it doesn't go south.

7. FishFish221

Snails will probably make a tasty snack for the oscar. Corydoras may work, but they wouldn't really eat algae. Other than that, the only other I can think of are common plecostomus, but those get way to big for most aquariums.

8. pugletfanWell Known MemberMember

Did you move the filter from the 29 to the 55? If the 29's filter media is still wet and hasn't been rinsed with untreated tap water then you can move it to your new tank to help it cycle.

9. OP
    OP
    Iluvfishies

I had the 29 gallon filter in the 29 for months but not long ago had to replace the filter. So it didn’t have much built up. And the 406 canister was hooked up on the 29 also along with it for a few weeks. I only put the 406 in the 55. I cleaned the HOB and put it up. Water look immaculate now.

It’s gotten a lot more clear now, like crystal clear and the fish seem to really like it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice