Does this mean I would be switching from fishless to fish-in cycling?

LinasPlantLife

I’ve been cycling my tank for a little over six weeks now. The last testings I’ve gotten are:

24 hours after 100% water change and adding 30 drops ammonium chloride:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 20-40

Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 10-20

Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20

24 hours adding 30 drops:
Nitrate: 20-40

24 hours after adding 30 drops:
Nitrate: 40-80

24 hours after 20 drops, then 50% water change, and 10 drops:
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 40

The high nitrates make me think I’m somehow adding too much ammonium chloride, and that the cycle is actually already filtering out what ammonia and nitrite is needed for the future bioload of the tank. If I were to add fish tomorrow, would I be switching from fishless to fish-in cycling? Also, pH has been fluctuating from 7.6-8.0. Overall test readings are honestly confusing at this point.

Zach72202

What size tank is this? Honestly just curious. I am kind of a chemistry nerd and just want to know. It'll give me an idea of how much your tank is actually using.

As for a cycle state standpoint- if your tank can double nitrates in a night, I think you're cycled buddy. I don't think any reasonable stocking will increase your nitrates that fast. If anything, get just a few one of the fish you want to keep and see how it goes, I am sure its fine.

Upvote 0

smee82

Id ignore the nitrite readings below .5 as thats the error range and assume you are cycled and can stock your tank.

Upvote 0

LinasPlantLife

What size tank is this? Honestly just curious. I am kind of a chemistry nerd and just want to know. It'll give me an idea of how much your tank is actually using.

As for a cycle state standpoint- if your tank can double nitrates in a night, I think you're cycled buddy. I don't think any reasonable stocking will increase your nitrates that fast. If anything, get just a few one of the fish you want to keep and see how it goes, I am sure its fine.
It's a 10 gallon. Great, thanks I'll be adding 2 ADFs and a betta to start with. Mystery snails are out of stock right now anyway.
Id ignore the nitrite readings below .5 as thats the error range and assume you are cycled and can stock your tank.
Okay, thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Connorho
  • Question
2 3
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies