Does This Look Like Dropsy?

Toddzilla

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forums... hope I'm in the right place. I was maintenancing my pond for the first time this spring and I came across one sickly goldfish. I have isolated it and I'm thinking it has dropsy but I'm no expert. Attached are some pictures. Does it look like dropsy? It's hard to tell from the pictures but the scales affected are very raised as well as discolored. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The scales look like they're sticking out a bit, but the pic is from the side so it's kind of hard to tell. Quite a few of them are missing altogether.
Would you be able to get a picture from above OP?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Gypsy13 said:
Y’all want to take a look at these for me? Hubby says looks more like wounds or burns to him? @TexasDomer @Rtessy @Hunter1 need some eyes? Please?
Looks a little bloated, but the scales don't seem to quite be pineconing, but possibly in the middle area. There might be something going on though, they are discolored and seem to be losing color/ turning pink. Might just be coloration, but it looks like there might be some blood beneath the surface under a group of the transluscent scales, could just be a bruise... I don't know how fish bruises work lol. A few sections of transluscent scales, some red at the edges, and in clusters. I don't think I'll be able to tell if it's dropsy or not without a top view... sorry I couldn't help more. The first pic it does look like there are some scales sticking up a but behind the gills for just a few rows, four or five, and on the other side in the second pic the scales behind the gills don't seem to be sticking up but it's possible the ones in the middle are.

Toddzilla

Reaction score
The more I look it the more I think it’s wounds. There are missing scales and there areas that look kinda fleshy. The affected areas are indeed raised but it seems odd how there are equal marks on both sides. I’m thinking a critter might have had this fish in it’s mouth. We do see raccoons on occasion. Thank you everyone for your input.

Toddzilla

Reaction score
The more I look at the affected areas the more I think these are wounds. As well as the raised scales there are missing ones and fleshy areas. The fact that there are wounds on both sides, it almost looks like it was in some critter’s mouth. I do see raccoons on occasion. Thank you everyone for your input. Great forum!

Toddzilla

Reaction score
Sorry for the duplicate posts. The first one didn't appear to post so I made the second one. Thanks again!

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like dropsy to me, unless to view is drastically different.

It looks to me like your boy got into a fight with the narrow space at the back of the filter and just barely won.

I would QT and swab with meth blue or peroxide (or just add meth blue to QT tank) to make sure the wounds don't get infected and comb through the tank/pond to see what caused that. Hopefully it's not racoons cause not much can be done to prevent that except like a net.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok. Thanks guys! If it was a raccoon it’ll have wounds that need tending. The raccoon uses it’s cute little hands in a most devious way getting fish out of ponds. Mainly by hooking one and dragging it to them, then repeatedly rolling it till it’s weak enough to grab. All of my planters are floaters and the raccoons soon learned they can’t get to the fish without going in. They’ve only tried when I’ve been too weak to bring them goodies though.
But, seriously, you’ll want to watch this one closely. Qt would be ideal. And I think I would start mblue with this one. You’ll want to get something on those wounds as soon as possible. Keep us posted?

Toddzilla

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your advice and concern. I do believe now that the affected areas were indeed wounds from something. There is nothing in my pond that could have caused the injuries so I assume an external influence (raccoons or other varmints). Good news though, I couldn't find any meth blue locally so I tried erythromycin from a local chain store... the fish is healing well already. The affected scales are laying back down, pink areas are not as red, and she's eating well. This might be a happy fish story after all. I really appreciate all the advice. Thank you!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toddzilla said:
Thank you everyone for your advice and concern. I do believe now that the affected areas were indeed wounds from something. There is nothing in my pond that could have caused the injuries so I assume an external influence (raccoons or other varmints). Good news though, I couldn't find any meth blue locally so I tried erythromycin from a local chain store... the fish is healing well already. The affected scales are laying back down, pink areas are not as red, and she's eating well. This might be a happy fish story after all. I really appreciate all the advice. Thank you!
Thank you for the update! Wonderful job taking care of her! Post pic when you can.

Toddzilla

Reaction score
I'm not the best photographer so I don't know if it translates very well in the pictures but the fish is healing nicely. She received her last treatment tonight and I'm thinking she's going back into the pond this weekend. Thank you everyone for all the advice.

Attachments

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m so glad she’s doing better! Tell your raccoons to leave them alone!
I’d do a happy dance if I could!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom